#1 2019-03-03 22:45:27

garsipal

Valhalla Project

Valhalla logo

What is this?

Valhalla is a yet another free and open source first-person shooter project based on Tesseract which focuses on both old school and casual gameplay.

A few more details

In comparison to Tesseract and Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Valhalla is kind of in the middle.
The project is inspired by the aforementioned games as well as a number of other quite ancient video games, but it does not seek to merely replicate old-school titles as many similar projects already did.
Instead, it makes an effort to modernize the genre a bit by combining old-school and modern elements to create an explosive mixture that could potentially blow your mind... potentially.
In a few words, a fresh take on the worn-out arena genre.

Links

We are on GitHub and have a Discord server that you might find interesting.
Also, there's a YouTube channel that might be fun to check out if you have nothing better to do with your life.

So yeah, see you around!

Last edited by garsipal (2024-03-11 00:01:21)

#2 2019-03-04 22:24:51

Suiseiseki

Re: Valhalla Project

Nice that you posted it Patrick :)

Just, there's no source-code in download link... That means, that only Windows users can play the game (it's precompiled for Windows only). If you wanted to keep source-code for yourself while game is still in early stage or for any other reason, you are free to do it, but precompiling it for Linux and MacOS may be good idea in that case.
I would be very happy if you look into compiling Valhalla for those 2 OSs (or at least Linux, since it has bigger community in Cube games). That being said, waiting for more finished release is also an option for me, so no pressure.

Cheers, Suiseiseki ;)

#3 2019-03-04 23:00:50

garsipal

Hey!
Yeah, I just wanted to keep the source code for myself a bit more so I could clean it up better before publishing it.
I know the majority here is using Linux but I didn't have the time to precompile it for this OS (I don't know any Linux user personally) anyway I'm going to do it in the next days.
I will contact you tomorrow as I have some free time so we can talk about this too if you like.

Last edited by garsipal (2019-03-05 02:21:00)

#4 2019-03-04 23:38:09

arCABAL

Very good! I have watched this forum since I saw your videos where you mentioned that you would post it here. I'd really like to try this out. Will your mod be open source? I'm looking forward for the Linux version. Maybe I'll make a map for it.

#5 2019-03-08 08:56:26

Darky

Hey, i like what you're doing. I'm codder with some experience in sauer and tesseract modding and i really would like to help you in this project (if you need it of course). Anyways, good job man i hope to see Linux version as soon as possible. Good luck!

#6 2019-03-09 22:38:50

garsipal

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble with compiling the Linux version so it might take some time before it is available.

arCABAL wrote:

Very good! I have watched this forum since I saw your videos where you mentioned that you would post it here. I'd really like to try this out. Will your mod be open source? I'm looking forward for the Linux version. Maybe I'll make a map for it.

Great to hear that, arCABAL!
Of course the mod will be open source but the code will be accessible to anyone from GitHub and not from Google Drive. :)

Darky wrote:

Hey, i like what you're doing. I'm codder with some experience in sauer and tesseract modding and i really would like to help you in this project (if you need it of course). Anyways, good job man i hope to see Linux version as soon as possible. Good luck!

Thanks, Darky.
I certainly need help with everything in this project except for weapon/player models and music (which are not in the priority list plus I'm cooking something up) at the moment. You can find my email in my profile, feel free to contact me as soon as the GitHub link is available.

#7 2019-03-10 16:00:47

garsipal

I have updated the link section, guys. Darky and I managed to compile a version for Linux!

#8 2019-09-29 00:11:11

zentris

garsipal, nice work, compiles for me on codeblocks/tdm-gcc on windows from your github repo without issue. Hope you keep working on it, I'm going to use it to figure out how to accomplish certain things as I have limited understanding of the code base at the moment.

#9 2019-11-07 05:05:00

gaya

It would be awesome if you could explain how you added new guns. The codebase looks so rigid when it comes to new gameplay features

#10 2021-08-10 22:51:52

bloprr

Hi, is anyone willing to host a master server for this mod ?

#11 2024-03-11 00:08:14

garsipal

A release is now live, with functional servers and online multiplayer for those wondering.

Board footer