#1 2019-03-03 22:45:27

garsipal

Valhalla Project

Introduction

After a lot of time spent on this project, which is very important to me, I'm excited to finally share the work I've done in the last years.

It all began in 2014, when I started working on a mod for Sauerbraten in my spare time. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to make my own game and I thought a mod was a good start. I was having a lot of fun experimenting with source code modifications and adding new things to that game.

Later in the same year I discovered Tesseract and was blown away by its coolness. I wanted to port my mod to Tesseract at first but then I really didn't feel like doing it: the first release came with only one complete map so I wasn't much excited by the idea, plus I wasn't satisfied enough with my mod to announce it to the public and ask someone to make maps for it.
This idea was temporarily scrapped but I kept working more or less constantly on the mod anyway until a few months ago.

When I checked the forum after a long time last year, I saw some cool maps posted here that got my interest back in Tesseract.
I realized it was the right moment to port the mod. As soon as I got a new laptop in december, I started the project.

About the project

The goal of the project is to create a quality indie game based on Tesseract, which tries to deliver a good game experience by collaborating with the community and focusing both on competitive and casual gameplay, user interface, elegance and general aesthetics.

Time to get concrete now. Here's a non-exhaustive list of the implemented features:

• new weapons: rocket launcher, submachine gun, shotgun, an upgraded version of the pulse rifle, a powerful railgun and a grenade launcher (WIP);

• alternative fire modes for weapons;

• new modes (like Elimination and Infection);

• pickable items (like health, armour, power-ups);

• mutators (like Instagib, Efficiency, Classic, Vampire and Locational Damage);

• new sound and visual effects.

You can take a look at the mod in action here.
For those of you who prefer a gameplay, here's a more down-to-earth video (even though it's a little outdated).

vp-screen1.png
vp-screen2.png
vp-screen3.png

Warning
This is by no means a finished project. There's still a lot of work to do: the new code in some parts is rough; it needs to be improved and cleaned up. UI needs a serious overhaul, weapons need to be more balanced, item placement in maps needs some help, too. There's a lot of placeholder stuff and there are still many features yet to be added... but hey, we have to start from somewhere. This is still a pre-alpha, after all.

Even though this is an early version, you should be able to play the game without probems (it is playable and polished enough).

I am pretty serious about this project and determined to keep working on it. I don't know how fast the progress will be but barring any unforeseen circumstances the development will go on for a long time.

If enough people are interested in the project and want to keep an eye on it or help me make this a great game I'll upload it on Github.
I will also be glad to open a forum so we can discuss anything regarding the project and keep in touch easier if necessary.
So let me know if you're interested and want to give a hand!

Links

Download link (Windows)

Download link (Linux) - thanks to Darky!

GitHub

So yeah... hope you enjoy this, any constructive feedback is more than welcome. :)
Have fun!

Last edited by garsipal (2019-03-14 17:07:41)

#2 2019-03-04 22:24:51

Suiseiseki

Re: Valhalla Project

Nice that you posted it Patrick :)

Just, there's no source-code in download link... That means, that only Windows users can play the game (it's precompiled for Windows only). If you wanted to keep source-code for yourself while game is still in early stage or for any other reason, you are free to do it, but precompiling it for Linux and MacOS may be good idea in that case.
I would be very happy if you look into compiling Valhalla for those 2 OSs (or at least Linux, since it has bigger community in Cube games). That being said, waiting for more finished release is also an option for me, so no pressure.

Cheers, Suiseiseki ;)

#3 2019-03-04 23:00:50

garsipal

Hey!
Yeah, I just wanted to keep the source code for myself a bit more so I could clean it up better before publishing it.
I know the majority here is using Linux but I didn't have the time to precompile it for this OS (I don't know any Linux user personally) anyway I'm going to do it in the next days.
I will contact you tomorrow as I have some free time so we can talk about this too if you like.

Last edited by garsipal (2019-03-05 02:21:00)

#4 2019-03-04 23:38:09

arCABAL

Very good! I have watched this forum since I saw your videos where you mentioned that you would post it here. I'd really like to try this out. Will your mod be open source? I'm looking forward for the Linux version. Maybe I'll make a map for it.

#5 2019-03-08 08:56:26

Darky

Hey, i like what you're doing. I'm codder with some experience in sauer and tesseract modding and i really would like to help you in this project (if you need it of course). Anyways, good job man i hope to see Linux version as soon as possible. Good luck!

#6 2019-03-09 22:38:50

garsipal

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble with compiling the Linux version so it might take some time before it is available.

arCABAL wrote:

Very good! I have watched this forum since I saw your videos where you mentioned that you would post it here. I'd really like to try this out. Will your mod be open source? I'm looking forward for the Linux version. Maybe I'll make a map for it.

Great to hear that, arCABAL!
Of course the mod will be open source but the code will be accessible to anyone from GitHub and not from Google Drive. :)

Darky wrote:

Hey, i like what you're doing. I'm codder with some experience in sauer and tesseract modding and i really would like to help you in this project (if you need it of course). Anyways, good job man i hope to see Linux version as soon as possible. Good luck!

Thanks, Darky.
I certainly need help with everything in this project except for weapon/player models and music (which are not in the priority list plus I'm cooking something up) at the moment. You can find my email in my profile, feel free to contact me as soon as the GitHub link is available.

#7 2019-03-10 16:00:47

garsipal

I have updated the link section, guys. Darky and I managed to compile a version for Linux!

Board footer