#1 2014-06-28 23:09:10

hunds

Map Pack

I been working on some maps, so here it is :

https://www.mediafire.com/?0zyb2tojz5m8t25

There are 5 maps, one is a CTF version of one of them.
I hope that my maps could be in the next release of the game :D

Enjoy.

Last edited by hunds (2014-06-28 23:24:19)

#2 2014-06-29 09:17:14

Pritchard

Re: Map Pack

Nothing really stood out to me from this pack. CKHAOS was confusing, I think it's supposed to be some kind of maze? But you can jump out of it, so i'm not sure. Duel City was quite good for what it wanted to be, but I managed to jump on to the roof at one point which is a bit of a problem. Z Arena and UnNatural Order were kind of bland, with very little texture variation. I preferred Z Arena though because it offered a bit more maneuverability and options for the players than UnNatural Order did. A CTF map where you can see the other team's flag from your own just doesn't work very well in my opinion.

I think if you keep working on your mapping you can probably produce something better than these maps, I would recommend looking at maps from Cube 2: Sauerbraten for ideas on the kind of thing that works in this type of game.

#3 2014-06-29 17:42:18

hunds

CKHAOS was meant to be confusing, this way players would gradually discover the map. CKHAOS also meant to provide and source of movimentation : running arround, crouch or jump arround.
In duel city there are two places were you can jump, it was meant to be that way, players can discover those spots, for strategic superiority.
ZArena and Unatural Order were inspired by quake 3 maps, remember ??? Those maps on the ending, kinda like space maps, something like that..... the point is, that texture variations dont really matter in this case.
And one more thing, a CTF map were you can see the other team's flag can work very well, remember quake 3's CTF arena Q3CTF4. That map was awesome.

#4 2014-06-30 09:24:12

Pritchard

Q3CTF4 is very different to UnNatural_CTF. There are far more opportunities for player movement, and far greater distances are incorporated into the map. Additionally, many of the guns in Q3 aren't capable of operating effectively at those ranges. In your map, the two sides are incredibly close to each other, and all players have a weapon that can instantly kill another player. Added to this is the fact that there's a 5 second respawn timer in CTF modes. The jump pads that lead directly from one flag to the other mean that it's practically possible to capture the flag in the time it takes for someone to respawn.

Your comments about texture variation surprise me, considering you based your ideas around Quake maps. The map you mentioned, Q3CTF4, actually has quite a variety of textures. To start with, the base floor texture of that map is a semi-complicated pattern, rather than the flat grey like you used in your map. To be fair, recreating this kind of detail in Tesseract at the moment would be difficult, as the textures available in the game aren't suited for it. However, more could be done than a simple flat colour. Additionally, detailed trims were applied to the edges of the platforms, making them seem more whole and interesting.

I would still recommend looking at Sauerbraten's maps for pointers on where to head with Tesseract, rather than anything from Quake 3. Movement mechanics and gameplay differ greatly between Tess and Quake, whereas Tess and Sauer have more nuanced differences.

#5 2014-06-30 20:46:44

hunds

You made some valid points...
I'm already working on some other maps, lets see how that turns out.....

Board footer