#1 2018-09-02 04:33:24

SlapHazard

Need help with mapping & textures

Hi, recently I've been working on a map and have run into some issues, mostly due to being unfamiliar with Tesseract's editing system. I've done most of these things before, using Red Eclipse's variation, but I can't really seem to find my way around here.
First off, how do I go about changing the colour of textures? I've tried using texcolor in the console but I can't really tell if that did anything, as I couldn't actually apply the modified texture I supposedly had selected. Second, how do I load different sets of textures to use? In the F2 Menu, I only ever have access to the base textures unless I'm on a map that uses others. This problem shows with mapmodels, too. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 2018-09-02 07:09:05

Suiseiseki

Re: Need help with mapping & textures

If you want to change colour of texture in game (while in Edit-Mode), select that part and type command "/vcolor R G B", where R, G and B are between 0.0 and 1.0, and also mind that "colour" isn't same as "color"... Many people worked on Tesse and Cube code in general, so there are smaller command inconsistencies.

As for custom textures and mapmodels, you need to write config file. So, I advise you to do this in you File Manager instead of in game with "/notepad media/map/mapname.cfg". So, open up your custom folder (On Linux it's "/home/username/.tesseract", and on Windows I think it's "D:\\My Documents\My Games\tesseract", or something along those lines), go to "media/map/", and you'll see all custom maps and their config files.

If you want map with name, let's say "fort", you should have "fort.ogz" there, and you should make text file "fort.cfg", where you'll write all stuff you want to be executed when you load the map fort in game. In your case, that would be:
- texload "somename/texture1"
or
- setshader bumpspecmapworld
- texture c "somename/texture1_diffuse.jpg"
- texture n "somename/texture1_normal.jpg"
- texture s "somename/texture1_specular.jpg"
depending of what textures you have, and if you wrote .tex files of them... Mind that you don't need " - " in you config file, as well ";" unless you have 2 commands in 1 line, like for example "texture c "somename/texture1_diffuse.jpg"; texscale 0.5", which would scale that texture by 0.5, or "texrotate 1" seen in default config for maps... Oh, and oldschool "package.cfg", like in Sauer works too.

For mapmodels, you can load them using "mapmodel "nieb/complex/bench/2"", and you can rotate and scale them in game easily, with arguments 2-5... Handling their textures and/or alpha properties is done in their md5.cfg or obj.cfg.

I would advise you to check that custom folder, or regular 1 (at least on Linux there are 2 folders), and see config files of different maps, then try to replicate them, and check of results were expected :)
That's basically how I learned pretty much everything I know, and there is also command and editing reference for Cube 2: Sauerbraten on internet and in "docs" folder when you download Cube, so I think all commands from there work in Tesse as well, at least for editing parts, except that Tesse adds cool stuff like volumetric lighting and better mapmodel support.

Have fun mapping ;)

#3 2018-09-02 10:29:49

SlapHazard

Sorry, I forgot to mention these earlier- how might I disable a texture's glowmap (e.g. if I wanted a light texture to look "switched off"), and how do I get a ladder to work? Sorry if I'm being a bit of pain here.

#4 2018-09-02 12:53:24

Suiseiseki

Don't worry, feel free to ask anything :) We do need new mappers, and it's good to have small friendly community

As for glow in texture, some textures have additional line in their "texname.tex", if you open them in "media/texture/..." as text files. That line goes like, "texture g ".../texname.jpg"", where that 'g' stands for glowmap. You can copy all text in "texname.tex", and add it into your "mapname.cfg" (in "media/map/" folder), and just delete that line with 'g' in it... That way they won't glow, but if texture has white (light) pixels on it, it would still look like light, but it just won't glow, which usually looks bad...

And ladders, there isn't some specific way to make them in Tesse, you just make really thin stairs... While in Edit-Mode, you can select cube face, hold 'F' on keyboard and scroll mouse wheel to push/pull that face... You push face by 1/8 unit more every cube above, and you get "ladders". For verticality, jumppads ("/newent jumppad Z X Y"), work better because of speed you gain and more aim control in air (you are also easier target then), or stairs, if you have enough space for them :d

#5 2018-09-03 04:59:08

Ardelico

Take a look @ Pinelake or Desertwind for easy way to do ladders.  Use the '-' button or /outline 1 to see the geometry easier.

Jumppads are alternatives to ladders.

I'll be posting some mapping tutorials that cover various individual essentials (blendpaint, atmosphere, layouts, mapmodels, heightmaps, lighting, etc) sometime soon.  Be on the lookout!

Glad to help with any other questions you may have.

Last edited by Ardelico (2018-09-03 05:00:07)

Board footer