#1 2018-07-28 20:50:22

Ardelico

[Tutorial] Make MapModels in less than 3 minutes

Tesseract has many useful features regarding models. Proper lighting, x y z rotation, resizing in-game, better commands, etc.  You can even use the models own geometry as clipping.

This tutorial will have you making models for your maps in 3 minutes or less per model.

------------

Step 1: Make what you want to turn into a mapmodel.  For this tutorial I'll use a cube with 3 textures.
axvBA7W.png

-----------

Step 2: Take note of each individual texture. This texture location is 'base/base4.png'
v0239gP.png

This texture location is 'philipk2/pk02_generic01a_C.png'
fmbx3Wj.png

Take note of the INDEX NUMBER. Important!! You will need the index number for each texture that your model is using.
eDs2QGh.png

---------

Step 3: Delete EVERYTHING on the map EXCEPT for what you want to be a mapmodel.

Then simply /writeobj your_model_name_goes_here

43q9bLi.png

---------

I recommend using Alt+Tab for the following steps.

---------

Step 4: Create a folder on your desktop for your mapmodel. 

ECo4tsO.png

---------

Step 5: Locate your mapmodels textures in the Tesseract/Media/Texture folder.

Copy / Paste those textures into the mapmodel's folder that you created on your Desktop.
ZjeE6Kj.png

---------

Step 6: go into Documents/My Games/Tesseract -- Find the .obj file for your mapmodel.  I used /writeobj megacube - so my .obj file is megacube.obj

Copy / Paste the .obj into the mapmodel's folder that you created on your Desktop.

Step 6.5: Open the mapmodel in Blender > export the mapmodel as md3

04NvtsK.png

---------

Step 7: Create an 'md3.cfg' file inside your mapmodel's folder.  Then double check to make sure you have the textures / model md3 / md3.cfg for your model.
sHW9vV1.png

----------

Step 8: YOU WILL NEED THE INDEX NUMBERS. YOU WILL NEED ALT+TAB (unless you wrote down the index numbers)

The textured parts of your mapmodel will be named as such:

"slot(indexnumber" - So, the black texture is "base/base4.png" - The index number is '4'.
The white texture is "philipk2/pk02_generic01a_C.png" - The index number is '80'
The mdltricollide 1 command will allow your mapmodel to use its own geometry as clipping, so you won't have that 'big invisible box'.

Write your cfg as such:

md3load megacube
md3skin slot4 "base4.png"
md3skin slot80 "pk02_generic01a_C.png"
md3skin slot73 "pk02_floor11_C.png"
mdltricollide 1

cH3MIr5.png

-------------

Step 9: ZOMG YOU'RE ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Documents/My Games/Tesseract/Media/Model/Mapmodel - create a folder with your name.
This folder is where you will put your future mapmodels.

Copy / Paste your mapmodels folder on your Desktop - Into the folder you just created.
Vl5YPbE.png
4juyiPs.png

------------

Step 10: THE MOMENT OF TRUTH
YOUR 3 MINUTES OF HARD WORK
ARE ABOUT TO PAY OFF

>Open Tesseract
>Load up your map
>type /mmodel yourfolder/yourmodel

>alternatively, put 'mmodel yourfolder/yourmodel' into your map's .cfg

[EXAMPLE] Since my model went into the 'ard' folder, and the mapmodel's folder name is 'megacube'
---------- I would type: /mmodel ard/megacube ----------

So, if your folder is 'imslayer69' and your mapmodel name is 'ultrasword420'
You would type /mmodel imslayer69/ultrasword420

And boom, you're done!

sGpcHUB.png

Last edited by Ardelico (2018-07-28 20:51:33)

Board footer