#1 2015-12-23 12:55:49

gaya

Clipping

I've seen lot's and lot's of clipping and all sorts of special cubes in the Tesseract maps. Is that really necessary? Seems like i'm mapping for Q3, an incredibly stupid engine, not able to make it's proper culling decisions.

#2 2015-12-24 07:05:35

chasester

Re: Clipping

clipping has nothing to do with culling? What is your point?

Cube is a marching cube voxel terrain, so culling really isnt a factor, unless you are talking about models, in which ive never had any z-fighting. So I guess if you are gonna make a point maybe understand what you are talking about?

As for why there is so much clipping, its mainly a for game play. Doors and walls get clipped to remove any bumps allowing a smoother game flow. Honestly it isnt nessarry just the way that you handel a map thats made for a fast pace game play like sauer/tesseract/quake if you where making a slower paced game like tf2 cs cod then you would not have as much clipping. But when you are moving about 10 ish mile per hour, all the time it is helpful not to get clipped on every lil thing throwing your aim off.

As for tesseracts culling (I am assuming you are talking about model culling if you even mean culling). It has no problems, it uses a series of different types of culls and data storage to render as little as possible. If you would like to see it you probably should look at batchmodel struct defined in model.h

chasester

PS: Tesseract does not have view spaces like many engines (many source, quake, etc) but this only helps in the case of larger maps (like 14+ size maps) or maps with a lot of details, but only if its divided into rooms or closed open spaces. Though cube does have pvs, which acts like an auto view cell render. This works well on modularized maps and is as good as view ports (portals, zones, render spaces, there are many names). It basically determines zones and which zones can be seen from other zones, allowing for a less things sent to the render buffer (so less things to cull). You can generate these using genpvs and on larger maps it can offer about a 3-7 fps increase. These are saved back to the map, and are invalidated when the map is edited (just like light maps use to be, or like blendmaps).

Last edited by chasester (2015-12-24 07:13:41)

Board footer