#1 2015-02-26 13:00:20

spikeymikey0196

Sauerbraten render lightmaps with CUDA?

I'm just wondering if it would be capable to get Sauerbraten to generate lightmaps using Gpu (CUDA) instead of CPU rendering?
and if its possible, how would i do it? :3

#2 2015-02-26 14:47:07

ImNotQ009

Re: Sauerbraten render lightmaps with CUDA?

Anything is possible as long as you have enough time and experience to code it

#3 2015-02-26 15:40:13

spikeymikey0196

ImNotQ009 wrote:

Anything is possible as long as you have enough time and experience to code it

Do you know how i'd go about doing it? because it would significantly decrease render times for people with great GPU's and stuff :3

#4 2015-02-26 21:09:43

ThaOneDon

Well the obvious thing would be to get CUDA SDK and rewrite the renderer with it and using other tools (depends on what you need to accomplish it) but thats harder then it sounds.

Latest CUDA version is....... 7 RC
6.5 is the Stable version
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Last edited by ThaOneDon (2015-02-26 21:11:48)

#5 2015-02-27 00:42:57

Cisoun

CUDA has its own patterns and way to think about how you code something. If you're really interested, I recommand you to learn first how the GPU or OpenMP work.

#6 2015-02-27 15:56:10

Lord Kv

GPUs excell at rendering things in high resolution but you want lightmaps to be in very low res because of filesize. Also I don't think there is a point to making lightmapping use gpu because it's not anything affecting gameplay and computing lightmaps on map Xenon (large map with a lot of lights) only takes about 5 seconds on mid end cpu.
By the way Tesseract uses gpu to render shadowmaps.
Also CUDA is Nvidia only tech which enables gpu to do other things that rendering (like physics). You don't need CUDA for shadowmapping or lighting, any gpu can do it.

#7 2015-02-27 16:33:07

spikeymikey0196

Lord Kv wrote:

GPUs excell at rendering things in high resolution but you want lightmaps to be in very low res because of filesize. Also I don't think there is a point to making lightmapping use gpu because it's not anything affecting gameplay and computing lightmaps on map Xenon (large map with a lot of lights) only takes about 5 seconds on mid end cpu.
By the way Tesseract uses gpu to render shadowmaps.
Also CUDA is Nvidia only tech which enables gpu to do other things that rendering (like physics). You don't need CUDA for shadowmapping or lighting, any gpu can do it.

I was just curious wether it was possible because i have a rather standard cpu and a good gpu and i'd figured using cuda to do lightmaps would be significantly faster for anyone that wants to make really high resolution light maps pretty quick.. i for one would use it for cinematic maps etc

Board footer