#1 2014-10-07 16:05:03

BakedToast

Placing sound effects in maps

I noticed that some maps, like complex, have ambient sounds in them. When I hit F1 to add entities. Sounds weren't on the list. How can sounds be put in maps?

#2 2014-10-07 17:19:30

Unnamed

Re: Placing sound effects in maps

Add mapsound "<path>" <volume> to the map config file and add sound entities with /newent sound <index> <range>.

#3 2014-10-07 19:24:41

BakedToast

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming there are some default sounds in the game but you can easily put in your own if you want?

#4 2014-10-14 10:36:06

spikeymikey0196

i'm a little confuse still on how to put sounds in xD because thats all the game needs to make things interesting.. walking around in complete silence does begin to bother me xD so could you please ellaborate a bit more? :3

#5 2014-10-14 13:53:08

RaZgRiZ

Tell us how you registered your sound in the config and what the sound entity's parameters are in the game.

#6 2014-10-14 15:04:08

spikeymikey0196

RaZgRiZ wrote:

Tell us how you registered your sound in the config and what the sound entity's parameters are in the game.

Well, i dont exactly know which config to put it into xD do i put it into the sounds.cfg file in the config folder or do i have to make a new config file? o.o

#7 2014-10-14 15:43:14

RaZgRiZ

spikeymikey0196 wrote:
RaZgRiZ wrote:

Well, i dont exactly know which config to put it into xD do i put it into the sounds.cfg file in the config folder or do i have to make a new config file? o.o

You are supposed to put it in your map config.
And yes, it doesn't exist, you will have to create it.
No, this is not complicated.

#8 2014-10-14 16:01:56

spikeymikey0196

Doesnt matter, i think i've got it.. having a little blonde moment :3 how do you actually register the sounds to like numbers though? o.o because i'll type "newent sound 100 1 0 0 0" and nothing happens besides a "unregistered sound:1" error :/

Last edited by spikeymikey0196 (2014-10-14 16:24:41)

#9 2014-10-14 21:18:44

RaZgRiZ

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

Doesnt matter, i think i've got it.. having a little blonde moment :3 how do you actually register the sounds to like numbers though? o.o because i'll type "newent sound 100 1 0 0 0" and nothing happens besides a "unregistered sound:1" error :/

The first reply literally explains all of it but feel free to make us repeat ourselves :p

#10 2014-10-14 23:05:02

SniperGoth

You do it on the map's .cfg file (open notepad,write all the configuration stuff you want on it, save it as nameofthemap.cfg), because tess doesn't save configuration files by itself, unlike RE.

#11 2014-10-15 09:42:33

spikeymikey0196

i've already done that and its registered to a file called "soundpack.cfg" in the ".../sound/game" folder. i've opened it up and they're all under ".../sound/soundname" 40" but whenever i try to add the sound to the map, it doesnt work? so yeah xD

#12 2014-10-15 10:48:50

RaZgRiZ

Are you seriously messing with us now? We told you to put it in the map config. In case you don't know, all the map configs are in the same place as the map files.

Please pay more attention...

#13 2014-10-15 15:42:39

spikeymikey0196

i'm not messing with you..
I went into notepad++ and typed in:

registersound "spikeymikey0196/ocean"
registersound "spikeymikey0196/Underwater1"
registersound "spikeymikey0196/Underwater2"

I then saved it as test.cfg on my deskstop (test is the name of the map), then i dragged and dropped it into the folder where the test.ogz and test.bak files are in the "documents/mygames/Tesseract/media/map" folder.
I then opened up tesseract and opened up the map.
I've then typed "/newent sound" but i could not finish that line as i didn't know what the index number was for one of the custom sounds, so i read in another post to look in a file called "soundpack.cfg" for its number, so that's what i did.
they were all under the index number 40, to which i tried to use but had no luck.
I have followed your instructions to a T and yet i still haven't had any success.. i've looked at other posts about it and even followed those and i've had no luck.. so please, tell me exactly what i'm doing wrong, because i haven't a goddamn clue.

Last edited by spikeymikey0196 (2014-10-15 15:44:13)

#14 2014-10-15 16:56:04

ImNotQ009

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

i'm not messing with you..
I went into notepad++ and typed in:

registersound "spikeymikey0196/ocean"
registersound "spikeymikey0196/Underwater1"
registersound "spikeymikey0196/Underwater2"

I then saved it as test.cfg on my deskstop (test is the name of the map), then i dragged and dropped it into the folder where the test.ogz and test.bak files are in the "documents/mygames/Tesseract/media/map" folder.
I then opened up tesseract and opened up the map.
I've then typed "/newent sound" but i could not finish that line as i didn't know what the index number was for one of the custom sounds, so i read in another post to look in a file called "soundpack.cfg" for its number, so that's what i did.
they were all under the index number 40, to which i tried to use but had no luck.
I have followed your instructions to a T and yet i still haven't had any success.. i've looked at other posts about it and even followed those and i've had no luck.. so please, tell me exactly what i'm doing wrong, because i haven't a goddamn clue.

I suggest re-reading the whole thread.

#15 2014-10-15 19:19:47

BakedToast

Just a question, is the sound ID the same as <index> like whatshisname posted at the top?
Sorry whatsyourname, I'm too lazy to scroll up...

Last edited by BakedToast (2014-10-15 19:20:30)

#16 2014-10-15 20:16:58

Unnamed

Well, it is not a real name ;)
yes
You can just write /newent sound 0 <range> and use 1+scroll wheel to select the right sound.

#17 2014-10-16 19:21:09

Calinou

The sound entity has 3 attributes:

/newent sound id radius size

id is the ID (starting from 0) of the sound, radius is the radius, size is another radius that defines when the sound starts cutting off. A size equal to the radius means the sound never attenuates, as long as the hearer is in the radius.

Last edited by Calinou (2014-10-16 19:21:55)

#18 2014-10-16 19:33:10

RaZgRiZ

Hypernova^ wrote:

Ok, from start to finish:

1. Place your sound file in some subdirectory of the sound folder.

2. Open up your map's .cfg and register the sounds as you had before (base directory is 'sound')

3. Open up config/sound.cfg and count the number of sounds registered there (using numbered lines is helpful)

4. Write down somewhere the number of the last sound registered in config/sound.cfg so you won't have to do this again.

5. Find the number of the sound you want that was registered in your map's cfg and add that number to the number you wrote down previously.

6. Now, place a sound entity in your map with the sound id equal to the number you came up with in the previous step.

Check these documentations for more information on the attibutes to the 'newent sound' command.

http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html#_sound_
http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html#mapsound

game sounds are independent from map sounds so counting them is completely wrong advise. They will always start from 0.

#19 2014-10-16 20:58:50

Hypernova^

This is what I saw:

http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html#sound

So I assumed that all sounds registered in sounds.cfg (for Sauer) can be used by simply /sound <id> ? and the sounds registered in map cfgs are added to that list?

I apologize if I gave wrong advice. I'm actually a bit confused myself, it seems there are multiple ways to do this.

Last edited by Hypernova^ (2014-10-16 21:03:54)

#20 2014-10-16 22:05:41

RaZgRiZ

There are no multiple ways. As i said before, game sounds are INDEPENDENT from map sounds. /playsound 0 might produce a gunsound, map sound 0 could be a waterfall.

I'm done. I was very specific already in helping you, now you're on your own.

#21 2014-10-17 13:59:22

Hypernova^

Mkay sorry for wasting your time...
I don't map anymore, so I haven't done this in a while.
I was just trying to help spikeymikey.

#22 2014-10-17 16:28:53

spikeymikey0196

what i did after your advice (although greatly appreciated) didnt work.. i just moved the sounds to Mapsounds and then added them that way, because i couldnt be bothered with all the messing around.. so to make things clearer, i'm going to make a tutorial video or post on how to do it now that i'm aware of how to do it, because some advice was quite unclear for people to follow :/ so i'll post a link below when i've done it

#23 2014-10-17 20:30:03

ImNotQ009

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

what i did after your advice (although greatly appreciated) didnt work.. i just moved the sounds to Mapsounds and then added them that way, because i couldnt be bothered with all the messing around.. so to make things clearer, i'm going to make a tutorial video or post on how to do it now that i'm aware of how to do it, because some advice was quite unclear for people to follow :/ so i'll post a link below when i've done it

You just did it wrong :P Unnamed has clearly stated what to do followed by other people just making it even more clear, which is why I just told you to re-read the whole thread.

Last edited by ImNotQ009 (2014-10-17 20:31:24)

#24 2014-10-19 03:26:57

BakedToast

RaZgRiZ wrote:

There are no multiple ways. As i said before, game sounds are INDEPENDENT from map sounds. /playsound 0 might produce a gunsound, map sound 0 could be a waterfall.

I'm done. I was very specific already in helping you, now you're on your own.

This post made me almost DIE laughing.!
I randomly made s sound effect thread on a whim and it becomes a maelstrom of confusion and rage...

Last edited by BakedToast (2014-10-19 03:27:46)

Board footer