#1 2014-09-22 00:21:37

BakedToast

Tesseract on steam

Tesseract is a great game, and bots are fun, but what's an online based game without a good sized player base?
A game like this would have a good chance to fly if it got into steam greenlight. Add the facts: that it's free, include steam workshop support for sharing maps and making mods, it's a tribute to old school gaming (a bit), and there'll be an awesome player base for lots of fun.
What's more, we'll be tapping into a huge source of ideas and good map designers, and, if it's not too hard, let tesseract use steam servers for multiplayer.
What do you think? Is it worth a try?

#2 2014-09-22 06:02:34

almightybyron

Re: Tesseract on steam

I don't think you can really have open source Steam games*..

EDIT: * with Steamworks.

Last edited by almightybyron (2014-09-22 14:45:05)

#3 2014-09-22 07:55:22

Julius

You can easily have open-source games on Steam, just steamworks integration is a bit problematic. But since Tesseract isn't copyleft even that is probably possible (but not advisable as non-steam users wouldn't have access to the added features).

That said: Tesseract is nowhere close to a state of a reasonably complete game that would warrant Steam inclusion. Maybe in the future though.

P.S.: I strongly believe that open-source games on Steam should not be offered for free. That will just lump them together with the F2P crap that isn't even looked at by most gamers. Make it a cheap $5 or so and donate the revenue to a good cause... and don't hide the fact that it can also be downloaded freely from the developers website.

Last edited by Julius (2014-09-22 07:55:37)

#4 2014-09-22 14:15:24

SniperGoth

almightybyron wrote:

I don't think you can really have open source Steam games..

Platinum arts sandbox is going to have a Steam commercial release.

#5 2014-09-22 14:44:39

almightybyron

SniperGoth wrote:

Platinum arts sandbox is going to have a Steam commercial release.

Oh, I didn't know that. That will be interesting.

#6 2014-09-22 16:30:46

spikeymikey0196

Yeah, platinum arts sandbox went to get their project greenlit last november :3 and got it greenlit around march time, i think :3 i used to do work on platinum arts sandbox ages ago, but left because it was beginning to become a bit too much of a hassle

#7 2014-09-22 19:28:26

Julius

Warsow has been greenlit too, and that has even GPL licensed code. So yeah...

#8 2014-09-22 21:12:35

Calinou

Being on Steam is overrated.

#9 2014-09-23 00:48:43

OMZ

Calinou wrote:

Being on Steam is overrated.

I dont know about that...... but the game needs a few things before it could be in a state where that would be a good idea. I agree though, being on steam is just a way to get more players interested.

#10 2014-09-23 16:27:28

spikeymikey0196

Steam is just a way to get more people to use it as the steam community is so vast :3 but i will admit, the amount of unfinished things that are greenlit, sort of puts people off to get anything of greenlight :/

Board footer