#1 2014-09-21 22:30:47

BakedToast

AI not properly working in maps

Hello all,

I recently just downloaded tesseract, and dove into map editing after a few rounds of instagib with the AI. At the time I was real impressed with their path finding abilities, they were able to use objects to access ledges, and they knew how to use the maps to their potential.
However, I was disappointed to find that when I created my own map, with multiple player spawns, that the AI didn't work properly. At first they just shot each other down like normal, but they didn't run anywhere. Then, after they respawned, they just stood there and didn't do anything. I could stand there and shoot them like sheep.
I'm just wondering, is that because user maps just don't support AI, or because I'm missing some aspect of map editing?

#2 2014-09-21 23:17:47

SniperGoth

Re: AI not properly working in maps

You have to make a path for them.
Type /dropwaypoints 1 ,  run around the map, so it creates a path for the A.I.
When you are done doing it, type /dropwaypoints 0 and /savewaypoints .
Then the next time you start to play with the bots, they will follow the paths that you made with the waypoints.

#3 2014-09-22 00:05:36

BakedToast

Ok, thanks.
Let me run it by again to see if I've got the idea.

So, type /dropwaypoints 1, that'll initiate the AI path setting up. Then, it auto-sets waypoints as I'm running, and once I've covered every inch of the map I want the AI to navigate then type /dropwaypoints 0 and /savewaypoints ?

Or do I have to type /dropwaypoints 2 or /dropwaypoints 3 to get a "checkpoint" system set up for multiple paths that AI can take?

Also, if my original idea was correct, do I run around the map in the exact way I want the AI to run (as in, they follow my tracks precisely), or comb the map back and forth and cover the whole thing and the AI will just figure it out?

Last edited by BakedToast (2014-09-22 00:06:40)

#4 2014-09-22 01:14:40

SniperGoth

Yeah, you run around the map, so that every step you make, if you look at your back, it leaves a trail.
That trail is where the a.i. will walk through.

Basically, /nameofthecommand 1 means active, and /nameofthecommand 0 is unactive.

The a.i. will follow the trail that was made by you.

To see see the waypoints in a map, like lets say, the map Complex, or just to see how the a.i. will react when you are observing them, just type /showwaypoints 1 to see the trail the bots are following.

It's all pretty simple.

#5 2014-09-22 04:26:37

BakedToast

Ok, thanks so much! As fun as tesseract is with real players, the player base isn't large enough to have online games with random people. So good AI system is great.

Some more questions though: if the game creates a trail where you walk, can the AI follow that trail in both directions, the way you went and the opposite way? And will the AI jump if/when you jump while creating waypoints?
If you have for example a hallway shaped in a T, and you walk through from the bottom, take a right till the end, turn around and head straight, past the intersection to the end of the left side, will the AI take the exact same route when following your path, or will they effectively have the hallway mapped so they can turn either direction and make their own choices?

It's fine if you don't know, I'll test it once I'm back at my PC. I'm just using the forums for convenience's sake :)

#6 2014-09-22 14:17:42

SniperGoth

They make their own choices on where they are going.
Just try to not jump so much while you are doing waypoints. The bots sometimes get a bit confused on the timing of the jump.

EDIT:  check the editing reference from sauerbraten, since it's almost the same for tesseract. It helps a lot.

http://sauerbraten.org/docs/editref.html#waypoints

Last edited by SniperGoth (2014-09-22 14:19:19)

#7 2014-09-23 04:49:36

BakedToast

I was just about to type a post up about how for some reason my waypoints weren't saving with the map, and then I re-read your earlier posts to find the /savewaypoints command...
I spent an hour making waypoints all for nothing, lol.

P.S. My map is really awesome, I think I'll polish it up nice, make a few more, and upload them as a map pack. Is that a good idea? Do most players download maps from here?

#8 2014-09-23 16:41:25

Calinou

If /dropwaypoints is set to 1 when you change map, the waypoints will be saved anyway.

Yes, you can upload maps here, create a topic in the Mapping section. Be sure to put at least one screenshot.

Last edited by Calinou (2014-09-23 16:41:50)

Board footer