#1 2014-09-13 16:55:37

gaya

Animation blending

I just started working on my player model for Tesseract and i'm using bones as a base. I managed to get it in game and it looks great. However, i noticed that bones has separate animations for different movement directions: NE, NW, SE, SW. Are there any plans of supporting animation blending in Tesseract? It's a huge pain in the ass, having to animate all those directions for each movement loop.

#2 2014-09-14 16:35:44

Calinou

Re: Animation blending

Animations are blended when you switch between them (so it is already technically supported); the interpolation duration can be set using /animationinterpolationtime value (default: 200 milliseconds).

Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse only use 4 movement animations, which means the forward animation is used for NW and NE movement, and the left/right animations for SW and SE movement.

Aren't there tools to aid you in making the diagional animations? Like, rotating the legs for all animation frames.

Last edited by Calinou (2014-09-14 18:24:17)

#3 2014-09-14 19:58:30

gaya

None that i'm aware of, at least, not without some boring work. I used to do diagonal movement animations back in the Source engine days, but blending is a very useful feature. Is there a place where we can suggest new features for the engine authors?

#4 2014-09-15 16:57:43

Calinou

gaya wrote:

None that i'm aware of, at least, not without some boring work. I used to do diagonal movement animations back in the Source engine days, but blending is a very useful feature. Is there a place where we can suggest new features for the engine authors?

No. Only one person really works on the code and they're already quite busy with other stuff.

Last edited by Calinou (2014-09-15 16:57:57)

Board footer