#1 2014-05-17 09:35:34

Teh_Bucket

Auto-specced by server (modified map)

NOTE: I'm not sure about all details, if someone knows better or where the linux/mac dirs are, please say so.

If you have edited one of the base maps and saved it as the original name (or just typed /savemap), you will now (as soon as servers update) be auto-set to spectate and not allowed to play. If you saved over a default map and now can't play on any servers, don't fret, reverting that is easy.

When you save a custom/edited map, Tesseract saves to your user folder, not the tesseract core game folder. The old, unedited .ogz for the default maps are still unchanged in the core tesseract folder, but tesseract loads from the user folder first (the modified version).

Windows:
Go to My Documents\My Games\Tesseract\media\map

Mac:
~/Library/Application Support/tesseract ?

Linux:
/home/yourusername/.tesseract ?

Delete the default map ogz. (for example, test_ctf.ogz) This will not affect the core game's file, as that is stored separately. If you reconnect you should be able to join the server now.

Last edited by Teh_Bucket (2014-05-17 18:27:57)

#2 2014-05-17 09:37:08

Pritchard

Re: Auto-specced by server (modified map)

If you do want to modify the stock maps, make sure to save them with a different title! This way, you can keep the original as well as your new version.

#3 2014-05-17 11:10:37

Manic

Yes, modified maps are a big problem and the simpliest way to cheat. The Tesseract servers should automatically check if the map in the core folder is untouched and force to load it.

#4 2014-05-17 12:37:48

Calinou

It would be a better idea to also prevent /savemap with an official map name as argument (implicit or explicit).

#5 2014-05-17 14:24:30

RaZgRiZ

Calinou wrote:

It would be a better idea to also prevent /savemap with an official map name as argument (implicit or explicit).

Unless the default map list is something that is sent by the master server, i'm afraid that any way you define it someone could modify it and still be allowed to save with the same name. If the masterserver happened to go down and people needed to check that list each time they joined, they'd be unable to connect anywhere. So no, it's a pointless measure.

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2014-05-17 14:25:16)

#6 2014-07-12 13:13:22

FaTony

Is bullet-tracing server-side? Does server check each fire against the map?

#7 2014-07-12 14:14:36

ImNotQ009

FaTony wrote:

Is bullet-tracing server-side? Does server check each fire against the map?

It is not, unfortunately it's clientside

#8 2014-07-13 12:10:51

FaTony

How hard is to rework it to be server-side?

#9 2014-07-13 12:18:17

Hypernova^

It would take quite a bit of work, plus you'd have to give everyone new clients. Also, I think the devs made aiming client-side for a reason, it lessens the effects of lag greatly.

#10 2014-07-13 15:27:32

Osbios

One of sauerbraten and tesseracts quirk is, that the savemap command without a map name will use the name of the last loadmap command AND NOT the last savemap command. For example:

/loadmap map1
/savemap map2
/savemap

the last savemap command will write to map1.

#11 2014-07-13 15:39:25

RaZgRiZ

Osbios wrote:

One of sauerbraten and tesseracts quirk is, that the savemap command without a map name will use the name of the last loadmap command AND NOT the last savemap command. For example:

/loadmap map1
/savemap map2
/savemap

the last savemap command will write to map1.

savemap by default uses the map's current name, and not the last used save name. doing so would mean that everyone could save the map under a different name and all hell breaks loose because no one knows what the map was really called in the first place.

so it works as intended. best thing to do would be to add a prompt to fire a confirmation dialog to override a map under the same name, at least for default game maps.

#12 2014-07-13 15:55:14

Osbios

"normal" programming paradigm would be using the loadmap filename only until you use the savemap command with a custom filename.
I suppose what you are talking about is the file name after the getmap command?
But then you can use the same logic. Use the getmap filename until savemap is called with a custom filenam.

#13 2014-07-13 22:12:29

RaZgRiZ

Osbios wrote:

"normal" programming paradigm would be using the loadmap filename only until you use the savemap command with a custom filename.
I suppose what you are talking about is the file name after the getmap command?
But then you can use the same logic. Use the getmap loadmap filename until savemap is called with a custom filenam.

So basically you want a different var ingame to hold the name last used in savemap but still hold the actual map name in the mapname var? Should be doable, i can't think of any implications atm.

Board footer