#1 2014-05-19 20:21:23

DearLeader

Question about modding spawn points

I got this game a couple weeks ago and now I'm just starting to tinker with the maps and I'm enjoying it but learning quite slow. I don't know much about modding so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm wondering if there would be a way to mod the spawn points to do one of two things:

1.) Spawning only at a point with no enemies in a 30ft boundary.
2.) Make your toon ethereal for 2-3 seconds when you spawn so you can get to a distance.

This is the first FPS I've gotten into since, Quake 3 or Tribes 2? There were a few after that but nothing I really enjoyed. I can't believe it isn't an issue FPShooters have dealt with yet, it gets a bit annoying when the game goes 4p vs 2p and instead of someone switching teams the 4p team spawncamps for stacking their stats.

I don't know if these ideas are simple or complicated, but even if it isn't possible to do in in tesseract, if it were done for another game could someone entertain me and tell me which route would be easier?

#2 2014-05-20 08:56:14

Calinou

Re: Question about modding spawn points

Both are possible with modifying the C++ code, but would both client and server to be modified.

It's unlikely long spawn protection will be added by default, but maybe 0.5 to 1 second would be suitable in order to avoid “accidental” shots.

#3 2014-05-20 12:24:46

Pritchard

Would it really require the client to be modified for point one? I haven't looked at the code, but i'd be surprised if the client got to choose where it spawned.
Of course, actually implementing that feature opens up a whole can of worms regarding the spawning method in general, requiring more checks etc.

#4 2014-05-20 13:03:49

RaZgRiZ

Pritchard wrote:

Would it really require the client to be modified for point one? I haven't looked at the code, but i'd be surprised if the client got to choose where it spawned.
Of course, actually implementing that feature opens up a whole can of worms regarding the spawning method in general, requiring more checks etc.

Yeah it would, unless the spawns were actually placed that far away from each other.

#5 2014-05-20 18:27:23

Teh_Bucket

Purely in terms of gameplay I don't think this is necessary, (though on test_ctf it gets a bit spawn-crowded). When there are enough spawn locations, spawn camping doesn't work, that is the general theory. Also, If there was a very very short time period to get your bearings in godmode, the spawned invincible player shouldn't be able to shoot back till it's over, at the speed this game plays it just wouldn't be fair or fun to have a base full of spawning invincible fraggers. But not being able to fire for that moment reduces the whole point of spawning in your base, which is to defend. I really enjoy being able to just leap back into the game and start fragging, and when our base is full of reds, it's a challenge, not a bug. (my opinion)

#6 2014-05-21 07:52:12

Pritchard

the problem with test_ctf is really that in CTF mode it has 2 spawn "areas" for players. That could easily contribute to the campability of spawns.

I don't know if you can really fix that about test_ctf, it's just unfortunate really.

#7 2014-06-25 16:15:21

DearLeader

Wow guys thanks for the responses. Yeah I got the idea from the test_ctf map, and I agree while in godmode the godmoded player shouldn't be able to shoot, I would want it to work like Diablo3 spawns, you can't act except moving.

Sadly I'm not familiar with C++ or any coding really, still getting used to this stuff and I'm just now back after a 6 week hiatus.

Thanks again!

Board footer