#1 2019-04-18 00:45:08

Blindabuser1

Map: Stormworth CTF + Texture Pack

Castle Intro

SYNOPSIS:

This is the seventh installment of my "Fantasy Castle" map series, also the most detailed of them (and finally a fully-playable CTF map). It takes place in a medieval Italian castle, specifically the ones built by the Visconti family back in 1200/1300, from which I took inspiration. The (wet) gameplay runs on two levels: to the ground, with two main pathways, and up on the battlements, through a series of hidden teleports to add more spice. I've polished and updated the included high-res texture pack originally made for my previous map. Enjoy! :)

-------

MULTIMEDIA (Hi-Res Links):

The Porch With The Tower
The Inside Of The Keep
The Castle Courtyard

LICENSE:

This map and the included textures, sounds and  mapmodels below (the ones within "\texture\blindabuser", "sound\mapsound\blindabuser" and "\mapmodel\blindabuser") AKA "the files" have been created by Gabriele "Blindabuser" Magurno, and are released under a Creative Commons license: CC0 1.0 Universal (Public Domain Dedication). For all the other files included within this package, please refer to the readme/license which can be found in their respective folders.

-------

INSTALLATION:
  1. You will always find the latest revision of the map + textures here: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2WQN/Kc1WDb2gs/Map_Files

2. Unpack "stormworth.zip" and "stormtex.zip" to your main "Tesseract" directory (usually: "\Program Files\Tesseract"). Press "Yes To All" if you get (unlikely) prompted to overwrite existing files/folders.

3. Run Tesseract, preferably full screen, with your speakers turned on.

4. Load the map by pressing "T" in the game, then type "/ctf stormworth" and press Enter. For enjoying the map's aesthetics at its best, it's suggested to turn on anisotropic filtering and antialias (2x or 4x).

-------

KNOWN ISSUES:

1) LOG MAPMODEL NOT SHOWING WHEN USING THE "ADDZIP" COMMAND:
I'm not really sure why this even happens, but if I play the level without unzipping the map files, I get a missing mapmodel error. I double-checked the folder paths and config files to no avail.

-------

CREDITS AND SPECIAL THANKS:

I dedicate this map to the good people I met in the old (best) days of the Cube 2 Engine, among whom the following players, mappers and coders: Lee "Eihrul" Salzman, Shane Nieb, Robert "baby-rabbit" Pointon, Quinton "Quin" Reeves, John "Geartrooper" Siar, Roland "rocknrol" Krüger, SWATLLAMA, Noobalicious, SkinnyPup!, Killasmurf, RaZgRiZ, MeatROme, Markus “makkE” Bekel, Chasester1 and many others I miss.

#2 2019-04-18 18:02:51

Blindabuser1

Re: Map: Stormworth CTF + Texture Pack

Here I've added a glimpse at the texture pack, for completeness. :)

Part #1
Part #2
Part #3
Part #4

#3 2019-04-19 15:48:05

Suiseiseki

First of all, I'm glad to see activity here.

tl;dr - "Good map & original, it'd be nice to see it updated sometime."

I like general aesthetics of it, especially icon on that wall (икону) and wall details. To be honest, I like this map more than any other 'fc' map (my old favorite was fc3). Good job on packaging (Suicizer sneezed) and crediting, and making waypoints and mapshot (which is 315x315 unlike most others, but it's irrelevant...).

Now, for the other side... I think that sunlight and skylight are good, but ambient should be higher value, that way light will be more realistic, while also keeping shadows and contrast visible. Some detailing outside of the gate would be nice touch, since you can see end of the map there, and ceiling isn't clipped. Bored players can jump on each other, and skip out of the map. Little thing that bugs me is overclipping of some areas, like fence in the middle and 2 arches in the wall, but it's small detail, and if you think it's good for gameplay, then okay.

I think that Tesseract can be full game with some care & love, unlike game engine demo (as I see it in current state). I'm afraid that I'm 4-5 years late tho, since I only heard about it 1 year ago.

#4 2019-04-19 19:33:10

Blindabuser1

Hello Suiseiseki, nice to meet you!
First off, many thanks for taking the time for downloading and testing my map and for your thorough review. I'm also pleased by the fact that you mentioned my previous maps: I was pretty sure I had fallen into oblivion, after so many years. You made my day! =)

The mapshot is 315x315 pixels since that's the actual size shown by the engine on the loading screen and the only way to avoid getting a blurred image (discovered by taking a screenshot of the game), even though the recommended size is 256 x256, which is obviously the standard, power of two ratio.

I agree with your remarks concerning ambient lighting, which I've raised slightly according to your pertinent suggestions: it now looks more realistic, indeed. Thank you very much. (download links updated!) I also understand your complaint about the lack of details on the outside part, but (even though I know this can't be an excuse) I was so sickened of working at this map that I longed to get rid of it as soon as possible, knowing that people will mostly focus on the inside, which is also the reason why I avoided to clip the ceiling. It's unlikely that people could get to jump on each others without being fragged before. :P

The fence in the middle has been clipped to avoid rifle-jumping (totally pointless, as players have free access to the roofs, but that was a later decision) and certain clipped areas are copy-paste leftovers I forgot to remove (my bad) which I'll probably do on the next update. ;)

I share your concerns about the fate of this wonderful engine: even though a few years have passed (I've discovered it in 2015) I still think that, with some polish and a few updates, Tesseract  would be just as good as many commercial games (and even better, considering the 3D editing part, which I've even suggested to an architect friend of mine). I'm still convinced that, if Eihrul decides to resume its development, Tesseract should finally be upgraded as the main project and Sauerbraten become the (glorious) legacy.

#5 2019-04-21 23:41:06

Blindabuser1

Update 21/04/2019:

- Shifted a couple of textures with wrong alignment.
- Removed clip material where unnecessary (thanks Suiseiseki).
- Clipped the sky to prevent players jumping outside the map (thanks Suiseiseki).
- Moved a playerstart in a better location.

Links updated, enjoy! :)

#6 2019-04-24 00:27:46

Blindabuser1

Update 24/04/2019:

- Improved the appearance of the visible portion outside the gate (thanks Suiseiseki).
- Added three new mapmodels (credit: Nieb and Nobiax).
- Corrected a geometry error I had missed during copy/paste.
- Corrected a wrongly-oriented playerstart.
The gate
Gate detail

This should be the final update, unless otherwise stated.
Edit: no need to download the textures again, just stormworth.zip is enough. ;)

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2019-04-24 01:58:17)

#7 2019-04-24 12:54:46

Suiseiseki

Great work with updates, I think that map is very good :)

PS: I was surprised when I turned on outline, and realized that cart, box and sacks are not mapmodels!

#8 2019-04-24 15:19:58

Blindabuser1

Thank you, I'm glad that you like it! :D

The crate is actually a mapmodel, though I've made it in Tesseract then exported it as *.obj using the /writeobj command, mostly to be able to rotate it. I wish I could've done the same with the cart but I get texture errors due to the excessive shifting/resizing.

#9 2019-05-07 19:27:52

garsipal

Amazing map, it is really nice to look at and explore.
Great to see this amount of details in Tesseract, thanks for the effort you put into them.
I'll be frank, I think this is the most beautiful and realistic map I've ever seen in Cube 2/Tesseract.
The only thing I don't like about this map is its size. I understand why this map isn't bigger though, you didn't only create the layout (and took care of details) but also made sounds and textures yourself. Great job.
I really enjoyed it, even more now that you improved the outside part.
What else can I say... hope to see more!
Ottimo lavoro! :)

#10 2019-05-07 23:34:23

Blindabuser1

Hey Garsipal,
thank you very much for appreciating my little work: I'm flattered! :)

Back in 2017, I had made a very large medieval map that perhaps you might have liked: It was so huge that I had to add 4 flags and it couldn't be really enjoyed because of the distance to travel in order to reach the enemy base. Another problem was the size: it was bigger than the installer of Tesseract, so I removed it before uploading this one, but you can still see some screenshots). ;)

#11 2019-05-22 02:57:39

Blindabuser1

Update 21/05/2019:

- Corrected a texture error.
- Improved the appearance of the outside part (added details to the walls, paths, plants and rocks).
Global View
Tower Detail

As already specified, there's no need to download the textures again, just stormworth.zip.

#12 2019-05-22 06:29:31

Russell

Cool map.
However, there is a giant transparent notex covering the sky, however the skybox is still visible.

Last edited by Russell (2019-05-22 08:07:17)

#13 2019-05-22 17:31:46

Blindabuser1

Hey Russell, many thanks for your appreciation!
As for the "notex", I guess you refer to the "clip" material (the red, translucent one): I've added it after Suiseiseki pointed me out that it'd be better with it (see post #3 of this thread).

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2019-05-22 17:32:23)

#14 2019-05-22 22:02:58

Russell

It isn't the red translucent one, but it appears to be clouds that are notex
https://imgur.com/a/Us4Pfsn

#15 2019-05-22 23:09:21

Blindabuser1

I see what's the problem now: looks like you're missing both the skybox images and the cloudlayer.
You can download all of them here. The files you need are the following (put them in the same folder in your computer):

cloudlayer01.png
overcast01_bk.png
overcast01_dn.png
overcast01_ft.png
overcast01_lf.png
overcast01_rt.png
overcast01_up.png

Are you using the official, now outdated release of Tesseract, maybe? I've made this map on a nightly build (2017-07-27) which you can download here, in case you need it.
Cheers, hope this helps.

#16 2019-05-23 07:20:33

Russell

Ah yes, cloudlayer. Thanks.

Last edited by Russell (2019-05-23 07:22:43)

#17 2019-06-27 19:38:16

Blindabuser1

Update 27/06/2019:

- Added finishing touches to the fenced walls (a row of bricks was missing).
- Replaced the texture of the porch floor under the fresco with a a more suitable one.
- Improved the finishes of the wooden staircase inside the main tower.
- Replaced the map screenshot with a newer one.

As previously stated, no need to download the textures again, just stormworth.zip.

Links updated, enjoy! ;)

#18 2019-07-08 02:54:10

Blindabuser1

Update 08/07/2019:

- Corrected two texture errors (the one on one pole of the wooden canopy was shifted and a whole side of the roof on the southwest tower had the texture flipped vertically).

Here's the updated stormworth.zip.

Hope this is the last change. o.O

#19 2019-07-11 08:07:51

RaZgRiZ

Very interesting! Should check this out at some point. I don't believe I won't find additional mistakes for you to fix :D

#20 2019-07-11 17:13:39

Blindabuser1

Hey RaZ, long time no talk, also I'm glad you're still around here!
Thank you for your interest, I couldn't stand  the fact that the other map, being so huge, was basically unplayable thus wasted work. I hope this one's better. Lemme know what you think! :)

#21 2019-07-14 00:51:54

RaZgRiZ

So I had a quick run through it.

1) found 3 different holes inside of geometry
2) at least one spot of misaligned terrain
3) some potentially wrong textures at minor detail faces
4) the boxes have an odd hitbox lol
5) totally stealing these torches for sauerbraten, along with the rocks

#22 2019-07-14 21:27:05

Blindabuser1

RaZgRiZ wrote:

1) found 3 different holes inside of geometry

I haven't been able to find them: do you mind posting a couple screenshots? ;)

RaZgRiZ wrote:

2) at least one spot of misaligned terrain

Same about this, but if it's innocuous, it could be seen as the inevitable imperfection of reality! XD

RaZgRiZ wrote:

3) some potentially wrong textures at minor detail faces

I have yet to correct a few spots, for example the arches on some windows where the texture is on the wrong axis.

RaZgRiZ wrote:

4) the boxes have an odd hitbox lol

Never been able to fix it, despite numerous attempts. -_-'

RaZgRiZ wrote:

5) totally stealing these torches for sauerbraten, along with the rocks

Yeah, those torches are really something: found them at opengameart.org. The rocks are the same ones I've used for FC6 back in 2017: I'm surprised you didn't notice. ;)

Board footer