#1 2014-05-22 18:05:10

Julius

Singleplayer code from Sauerbraten still in tesseract?

For a test project I would like to make a small single-player game and was wondering if the original SP code from Sauerbraten ist still around?

#2 2014-05-22 18:15:56

eihrul
Administrator

Re: Singleplayer code from Sauerbraten still in tesseract?

Nope, I ripped that out. Octaforge is probably more your cup of tea.

#3 2014-05-22 18:25:57

Julius

ok thanks for the quick answer.

#4 2018-09-09 05:36:44

Rvach

Is it very hard to bring it back (for a person not closely familiar with sauer/tess codebase)?
I've tried to look through repo history to find out when it was removed but failed, besides I doubt if I have chances to restore it myself.

Last edited by Rvach (2018-09-09 06:47:29)

#5 2018-09-09 08:59:37

Suiseiseki

To be honest, I believe that Singleplayer is necessity of FPS game, same as Multiplayer, but again, there is problem of making models, animating them, working on reasonable AI for them (different monsters, different behaviors...), and adding them in game so they don't hurt philosophy (base design) of the game. MitaMAN, rock.n.rol and Redon did great job with little tools on Sauerbraten, but to me at least, it didn't felt like campaigns I like, preferably Doom 1 & 2, Hexen 1 & 2, Quake 1, and smaller titles like Cybermage, Blood, Chasm, Powerslave, Witchaven and Strife... Just my opinion, even tho topic is pretty much closed :)

Edit: Just saw that this post is from 2014...

Last edited by Suiseiseki (2018-09-09 09:00:45)

#6 2018-09-09 15:03:41

Rvach

Suiseiseki wrote:

Edit: Just saw that this post is from 2014...

Yeap, that is my fault, but I've just asked a question in a related thread, since some words about singleplayer code had been said here.

Just in case I'll dublicate my question here:

Is it very hard to bring it back (for a person not closely familiar with sauer/tess codebase)?
I've tried to look through repo history to find out when it was removed but failed, besides I doubt if I have chances to restore it myself.

In fact I do not need much, just moving objects like doors and platforms can be enough at the beginning, though triggers with ability to add animated models will be usefull too.

As someone on a Suggestions said, tesseract is an engine with dynamic lighting and static content :(

Last edited by Rvach (2018-09-09 15:13:28)

#7 2018-09-10 06:34:57

Sturmamphen

If you are looking for something more like an RPG game template, you might try Lamiae.  It's the old RPG  "mode" from Platinum Arts Sandbox. 

There was a decent tutorial map back in Sandbox that demonstrated quest lines, dialogue, shops/currency etc. but it was removed from Lamiae unfortunately.  It might be worth checking out even if you are not looking to make an RPG. I assume removing features is easier than adding them. 

You can find it on GitHub at Hirato/lamiae.

#8 2018-09-10 09:51:31

Rvach

No, I'm interested only in tesseract as it has graphics that seems to me as ideal. Besides my hands are already durty by the code changes I've done :E

#9 2018-09-11 01:12:52

Sturmamphen

Whoops I should have made myself more clear, but Lamiae/Sandbox was originally based on Cube2 Sauerbraten but was transferred over to Tesseract, so in a way it is based off of Tess.  Good luck on your project!

#10 2018-09-11 07:34:16

Rvach

Sturmamphen, thank you very much, I'll check it out.
I thought work on it was dropped long time ago.

Board footer