#51 2017-08-30 12:57:04

rransom.8774

Re: Fantasy Castle VI + Texture Pack

First problem: Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/objects/*) are under the CC BY-NC-SA-2.5 license.  Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/jean_ayers/skull/*) are under the CC BY-SA-3.0 license.  If an asset (or other work) is distributed under one of the CC BY-SA or CC BY-NC-SA licenses, it can only be incorporated into works which are also distributed under the same license or a later version of the same license.  In particular, you can't use an asset distributed under CC BY-NC-SA in the same map as an asset distributed under CC BY-SA.

Second problem: You forgot to load the height maps for the Nobiax textures which use them.  (Add “texture z "yughues/patternXX_height.png"” to the .tex files for patterns 70 through 79, replacing “XX” with the pattern number.)

#52 2017-08-30 17:00:26

Blindabuser1

rransom.8774 wrote:

First problem: Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/objects/*) are under the CC BY-NC-SA-2.5 license.  Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/jean_ayers/skull/*) are under the CC BY-SA-3.0 license. [...] In particular, you can't use an asset distributed under CC BY-NC-SA in the same map as an asset distributed under CC BY-SA.

Those have been ported directly from Sauerbraten Collect Edition (hence the "ported_from_sauerbraten" file I've included in each folder): I've thought that, if it's safe distributing them within the official Sauerbraten package, then perhaps I could do the same (especially since no modifications have been made and I'd consider each texture/model set as a distinct item within the package) but you say it is not allowed? Please, enlighten me.

Anyway, as I've pointed out in my original post, this map and its content (mine, at least) are licensed for Personal Use Only, as it's mostly for demonstration purposes right for those reasons I've thoroughly explained before. It is neither released for inclusion in an official release of Tesseract, nor for redistribution. And if even this were to be insufficient, I'd have no problem in removing my original post from this forum (or ask a moderator do to so).

rransom.8774 wrote:

Second problem: You forgot to load the height maps for the Nobiax textures which use them.

Thank you for the advice (It was just a small oversight): I've already fixed each one of them, and I plan to release a new revision of the map within the next days, with this correction. Furthermore, I'm working at my texture-pack in order to replace the only copyrighted photograph, and I hope to upload it too within a few days, this time released under a CC0 license, if that might help. :)

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-30 19:32:06)

#53 2017-08-31 05:00:56

Blindabuser1

New Textures!

UPDATE - 31/8/2017:

- Uploaded a new revision of the map, which corrects a small oversight of mine. Nobiax textures now load their matching height map correctly (thanks rransom.8774 for the bug report).

- Solved a copyright issue on a crucial texture: I have released a standalone texture pack, with two new textures as a replacement for the only copyrighted photograph. it's being distributed with a CC0 (Public Domain) license and can be used for both personal and commercial purposes. However, I've left the textures included within the map package untouched, so beware: those are for Personal Purposes Only. If you want just the textures and wish to use them for your projects, download the texture pack instead (don't use the ones included with the map).

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-31 05:54:15)

#54 2018-04-01 01:35:58

Blindabuser1

Snow!

UPDATE - 31/3/2018:

Hey, it's been a long time! I'm not really sure there's still people interested in this map (if there ever were) as I haven't seen a new comment since a long time, but here's another update (D/L link on the first page of this thread):

• Corrected a geometry glitch on the main tower ceiling.

• Applied roundness to the parapets on the towers battlements too.

• Updated the map readme file (fc6.txt).

P.S.: The snow theme seen on the above screenshot is just a quick test I've made for fun, I don't actually plan to publish it, unless a squadron of beautiful young women find their way to my home by day's end (original quote by Matthew Inman).

#55 2018-04-23 16:31:34

RaZgRiZ

Surprised to see this still active! I should run around a bit and enjoy the scenery, this map can be useful in a few ways :)

BTW, here's what I suggested you do about the waterfall. As you can see, due to the lower height point of the side's face, it meets the edge of the top face at a different location - so you first need to apply an offset. In this particular case, `voffset 0 64` seems to work. However, you will notice the texture itself is also in the wrong orientation. Notice the thick crack on the log itself, it's on the wrong location between the two. I believe for this waterfall recorded in the video, you need to flip it BOTH horizontally and vertically to get it right, which cannot be done with vrotate (because it's either or, not both).

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eapnthl8lde5q … .mp4?raw=1

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2018-04-23 17:21:53)

#56 2018-04-24 06:49:29

Blindabuser1

Hey RaZ, I am the one to be surprised: to see that you're still interested in my map, thank you! :)

Even though I still play on it from time to time, I didn't actually mean to update this level anymore, especially since there's almost no activity on this forum (although lately someone peeps, both here and on the Tesseract servers) but then I've discovered a horrible geometry glitch on the ceiling of the main tower, so I felt compelled to fix it and, while I was there, I've done a couple more corrections.

Thank you for the video reference (nice image quality: I've noticed that you use Handbrake. I've heard good things about it! My compression/multiplexing tool of choice is Avanti (a versatile FFMpeg-based multipurpose GUI). I noticed that, besides your nice solution, I still see that pesky horizontal line, which I guess could be only removed using a mapmodel, and there we go again, with the transparency issue discussed in the previous posts. => </thread>. XD

As you're surely more in touch with the devs team than me: any news concerning Tesseract and Eihrul (or any projects you're still involved in)?

#57 2018-04-24 09:15:00

RaZgRiZ

You seem to have ignored my comment about fixing the horizontal line via offsetting the side face's texture and flipping the texture around :P  It's all about getting it in the right place really. You could hide it with some clever tricks but if you really want to be rid of it, experiment like i mentioned. Use the wood log texture to have an easier time aligning the offset, then see how you'll need to flip the texture to get it to match up perfectly with the top face.

Also i'm not sure why you'd assume i'm more in touch with Eihrul than everybody else. If anything, i'm looking to see if he's interested in accepting more UI work since nieb left and i haven't heard back on that. Besides that, i'm kinda plagued by frequent crashes in old sauer all of a sudden, and i'm finding weird bugs left and right which, unless i can tell him exactly where shit broke, feel like will be there forever.

Tempris is working on Nova Fide - still in its early stages, they're figuring out the lore and stuff, what sort of gameplay they want, and modding the shit out the tesseract engine. I am planning to port my menus there and his code is giving me a headache :D

#58 2018-04-24 10:53:33

Blindabuser1

I'm sorry, I didn't really mean to ignore your comment: I've read it thoroughly, but I wasn't sure I had understood properly what you've actually did with the textures in order to fix the problem, as it seemed to me that the horizontal line was still visible. I've previously applied any possible variations of offset, flipping, shift, alpha and whatnot to that waterfall, and yet I couldn't get over it, so I just gave up. I'm going through difficult times lately, so I can't promise I'll fix it, but when I'll have a moment I'll give it at least a try and see what can be done.

As for the question about Eihrul: I've assumed you'd probably had more chances to talk to him than myself (not everybody else, just me! ;) as I haven't logged in IRC since years and I don't have Discord, also I'm not playing Sauerbraten since 2011 (besides a couple of weeks back in 2016) and you are a moderator of this forum, not to mention the creator of the ALUI menus (useful to the game), while I'm just a nobody who made a huge, useless map after 7 years of hiatus... well, I guess I've made wrong assumptions. :P

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Sauerbraten, I guess you've already tried a fresh install and probably updated your video card drivers, so maybe it's something related to the fact that Operating Systems nowadays update themselves frequently and may have messed up a system file or two? Just a guess. I didn't know Nieb had left. After such a long time without updates it doesn't surprise me, but I'm afraid that's another nail on the coffin. :/

#59 2018-04-24 11:12:26

RaZgRiZ

If you do have some time, hit me up in IRC or something to let me know you're available, I'll try to show you in realtime what I've done to get around the issue.

Here's a ZIP with the fixed files to give this a test on the fly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/faqi51zvrp0n1 … .zip?raw=1

And don't get yourself down, you have some good talent in map making. There could surely be more detail in the map like the castle's walls but eh, what can we do. :)  Say, you wouldn't happen to have sauer's SVN right? I'd like to show you a couple maps, get your opinion on them too. I'd show you on regular release sauer if it weren't for the crashes/hangs i've yet to fix.

BTW: video of fixed waterfall with the method I mentioned. For this demo using the easily visible wood_end texture, the setting applied was an XY flipped version (same one in the ZIP above) and a vertical offset of 64 for the side faces. Sure there's stretching involved as it makes the passthrough but that's the way textures work. You do the same for the water texture and it will work out beautifully with no lines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ka3w4iq6tk5g … .mp4?raw=1

EDIT: I got something for ya:

// IF YOU ARE USING THE DEFAULT UI, USE THE FOLLOWING: (config/ui/edithud.cfg)
//edittoggled = [
//   if $editing [
//      showui "editstats"
//      showui "varicons"
//      hideui "tooltip_hud"
//   ] [
//      hideallui
//      showui "tooltip_hud"
//   ]
//]

// IF YOU ARE USING AL.UI, USE THE FOLLOWING: (config/ui/common.cfg)
//edittoggled = [
//    if $editing [
//        showui "edithud"
//        if (! (uivisible "fullconsole")) [ showui "editvars" ]
//        hideui "tooltip_hud"
//    ] [
//        hideui "edithud"
//        hideui "editvars"
//        hideui "material"
//        hideui "texture_browser"
//        hideui "mapmodel_browser"
//        showui "tooltip_hud"
//    ]
//]

init = [ if (=s (getalias $arg1) "") [ $arg1 = $arg2 ] ]
precf = [ substr $arg1 0 (+ (strstr $arg1 .) (+ $arg2 1)) ]

init tth_col 3 // number of columns
init tth_x   0 // snap to X axis, -1 is left, 0 is middle, 1 is right
init tth_y   1 // snap to Y axis, -1 is top, 0 is center, 1 is bottom

newui "tooltip_hud" [
	uiallowinput 0
	uieschide    0
	uialign $tth_x $tth_y
	uispace 0.01 0.01 [
		uiclamp 1 1 1 1
		uicolor 0x80202020 $arg2 $arg3 [
			uimodcolor 0xDDDDDD
			uioutline  0x303030
			uispace 0.01 0.01 [
				uigrid $tth_col 0.02 0 [
					looplist3 t c v [
						"Alias:"    0x2BC4F3 "getname"
						"Frags:"    0x2BC4F3 "getfrags"
						"Deaths:"   0x2BC4F3 "getdeaths"
						"Accuracy:" 0x2BC4F3 "concatword $getaccuracy ^"%^""
						"KpD:"      0x2BC4F3 "precf (divf (getfrags) (max (getdeaths) 1)) 2"
						"Score:"    0x2BC4F3 "getflags"
					] [
						uihlist 0 [
							uifill 0 0.032 [ uitext (tabify $t 2) 0.6 ]
							uifill 0 0.032 [ uicolortext (@v) $c  0.6 ]
							uiclamp* 1 1
						]
					]
				]
			]
			uiclamp* 1 1 1 1
		]
	]
]

You can also customize the colors of the individual values to what you like.

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2018-04-24 18:16:26)

#60 2018-04-25 07:16:13

Blindabuser1

Hey, thank you very much for the zip file and the new video: I've been playing with geometry and textures trying to fix the problem but I need more time. As soon as things will settle down a bit, I'll come find you in IRC so we could properly discuss this issue and I'll be more than glad to look at your maps (even though I'll have to download Sauerbraten SVN first: I don't have installed it yet, here).

As for the map: thanks for the compliments and I would've gladly added more details, but it's already GPU/CPU heavy the way it is (at least on my 9 years old PC) so I've obviously had to make compromises. I don't know if I'd retouch the castle walls in particular, as they faithfully reflect the bare architecture I've took as a reference (rounding the edges a bit wouldn't hurt, anyway). Sure I'd add more trees and plants, refine the mountains edges and perfect those pesky waterfalls, you know. ;)

Click to enlarge!

April 27 is my birthday and what did you give me? An A-W-E-S-O-ME stats script! Thank you! It works great and I think it'd be very nice to share it at Quadropolis, if you feel like it. Seriously, I've been trying it today a couple of hours, and your code is so clean and easy to understand even for an incompetent like me, that I couldn't prevent myself to attempt editing and apply a few customizations: I moved the whole script from edithud.cfg to autoexec.cfg, then I've made a binding to the "S" key (as in "Statistics") changed the text colors to my liking and added more variables. Last but not least, I've arranged it on a single row to reduce the impact of the flag icon, which inevitably covers part of the text. Here's the code with my (clumsy) changes.

//*****************************************************
// Tesseract Stats UI by RaZgRiZ (edited by Blindabuser)
// ADD TO YOUR AUTOEXEC.CFG, USE INGAME WITH "S" KEY.
//*****************************************************

init = [ if (=s (getalias $arg1) "") [ $arg1 = $arg2 ] ]
precf = [ substr $arg1 0 (+ (strstr $arg1 .) (+ $arg2 1)) ]

init tth_col 8 // number of columns (default = 3)
init tth_x   0 // snap to X axis, -1 is left, 0 is middle, 1 is right
init tth_y   1 // snap to Y axis, -1 is top, 0 is center, 1 is bottom

newui "tooltip_hud" [
	uiallowinput 0
	uieschide    0
	uialign $tth_x $tth_y
	uispace 0.01 0.01 [
		uiclamp 1 1 1 1
		uicolor 0x80202020 $arg2 $arg3 [
			uimodcolor 0xDDDDDD
			uioutline  0x303030
			uispace 0.01 0.01 [
				uigrid $tth_col 0.02 0 [
					looplist3 t c v [
						"^f4Name: " 0x62B370 "getname"
						"^f4Map: " 0xCCCCCC "mapname"
						"^f4Time: " 0x50CFE5 "scoreboardtime"
						"^f4Frags: " 0x62B370 "getfrags"
						"^f4Deaths: " 0xE56767 "getdeaths"
						"^f4Acc: " 0x60A0FF "concatword $getaccuracy ^"%^""
						"^f4KpD: " 0xC040C0 "precf (divf (getfrags) (max (getdeaths) 1)) 2"
						"^f4Flags: " 0xEBE086 "getflags"
					] [
						uihlist 0 [
							uifill 0 0.032 [ uitext (tabify $t 1) 0.6 ]
							uifill 0 0.032 [ uicolortext (@v) $c  0.6 ]
							uiclamp* 1 1
						]
					]
				]
			]
			uiclamp* 1 1 1 1
		]
	]
]

bind "S" [if $editing [] [showui "tooltip_hud"]]

// End stats UI

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2018-04-25 07:24:03)

#61 2018-04-25 08:37:44

RaZgRiZ

I'm guessing you're using a non-standard keyboard layout (other than QWERTY i mean) as S is a movement key (WASD) or you're using the arrow keys to move around like some old-school weirdo :D

To be fair, the tabify is there to set a fixed length in cases you want to align each item vertically - setting it to 1 pretty much turns it "off", and i assume that if you were to set tth_col to 6-7 for example you'd notice the values don't align perfectly. I had to make a compromise there between the ease of modifying it to add more/customize the values and keeping it "sturdy" enough so that it will stay consistent - although if uigrid could somehow order things vertically instead of horizontally, that would work much better in this case. Speaking of, you do know you can change those 3 vars to control the location of the UI and how many columns it uses right? Right?!

As for sharing it, not much point in doing so. Basically ripped the code out of ALUI to make it usable under all circumstances, otherwise you'd need ALUI to make it work, and it's no fun doing these things manually - that's the whole reason i made the thing in the first place :P

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2018-04-25 09:13:53)

#62 2018-04-26 00:02:51

Blindabuser1

I'm guessing you're using a non-standard keyboard layout

Dang, I forgot most people tend to use the utterly uncomfortable WASD keys, while I, who am so vintage, use the ones made to move in the four directions: the arrows, duh! I'm using a common QWERTY keyboard, BTW! XD

To be fair, the tabify is there to set a fixed length [...] setting it to 1 pretty much turns it "off"

I lowered its value (trial and error) to reduce the space between words and achieve a more compact layout, which works horizontally, but if I'd were to leave your version untouched I'd definitely bring it back to 2.

you do know you can change those 3 vars to control the location of the UI and how many columns it uses right?

Of course I do: I've messed with the code in every possible way, moved the stats to every possible corner of the screen until I've thought the following one looked nice, but I got easily distracted by it (is there a way to align the text to the right, as we are on it?) so I've opted for the centered, horizontal version.
Menu on the right, this time!

As for sharing it, not much point in doing so. [...] that's the whole reason i made the thing in the first place :P

RaZ, I understand your point: you'd rather deliver a fully-functional finished product (after all these years working at it) than dismember it for just a silly stats script. I do think, however, that giving people playing tesseract a worthy and functional replacement to this script for Sauerbraten, (one at random! :D) would be appreciated by the few folks still loving this abandoned child prodigy of a game. My two cents, but... your stuff, your decision. A huge thank you for doing it for my own delight, at least: it's an honor. :)

Edit: and here's an ultra-minimal version (I guess I'll keep this one).
Mini version!
Ehm, I guess I am we're going heavily off-topic: I'm afraid a moderator could ban us! :P

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2018-04-26 00:32:23)

#63 2018-04-26 08:56:02

RaZgRiZ

Yep, the tabify sets a fixed length for the text, so then the values would all be left-aligned to the text but perfectly in line, which is why I had it set to 2 rather than 1. The problem here generally is that we're dealing with multiple rows aligned vertically rather than multiple columns aligned horizontally. As such, each row is made up from two parts, text and value. Both need to have a fixed size, and all texts/values must have the same length if you expect the aligning to work in the way you describe. Left-aligned is easier overall in the current setup, going for right-aligned values will introduce a ton of spacing, especially if you consider that the name can be very long (you can always remove it though).

I could make a different version where this stuff goes by columns instead but it won't be as pretty. Up to you.

Btw, if you want to meet up ingame it will have to be sometime until the end of this weeek, after that point i start work again and finding common ground will be pretty darn difficult :P

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2018-04-26 09:34:29)

#64 2018-04-26 09:45:41

Blindabuser1

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, RaZ (I had noticed that words with the same length work better aesthetically. :) If one knows where to dig, this forum is a great source of scripting tips, less known commands and variable tweaks, and here's another treasure hidden on a mapping-related thread. I wonder if the Cube2 Wiki is still being updated. Edit: nope, I've just found out that Wikispaces has closed, a while ago. :/

As for this script: thank you very much, but there's no need to make another version, really. I find this one already neat and useful the way it is, it's pretty versatile and you've already done a great job. :)

Edit: I've just read your addendum. I'm afraid it'll be quite difficult for me to find time within this week, but I'll do my best: in case I'll make it, I'll give IRC a peek.

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2018-04-26 09:51:28)

#65 2018-04-26 16:27:40

RaZgRiZ

Say, you said tomorrow's your birthday. I have one more thing for you which i'll add here a while later. You'll need AL.UI for it though so be prepared!

#66 2018-04-27 14:02:18

RaZgRiZ

Lookie what i got!

2018-04-27_16.50.40_complex_edit.png?raw=1

#67 2018-04-27 16:59:44

Blindabuser1

That's really awesome, RaZ, thank you very much! I didn't imagine you'd still remember my wish for a reintegration of the missing postfx menu in Tesseract (as to why it has been removed it's still a mystery to me). I guess I'll have to download the latest AL.UI from here: https://github.com/coornio/ALUI/tree/master, right? :)

Edit: nevermind, I've already downloaded it and tested. Flawless victory! :D

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2018-04-27 17:16:44)

#68 2018-04-27 18:23:14

RaZgRiZ

Oh yeah, not sure if you noticed by the commits, but it's bound to P by default.

#69 2018-04-27 19:18:58

Blindabuser1

Hehe, yes! I've of course looked within the code and discovered:

defkey "P" [ if $mainmenu [] [ toggleui "postfx" ] ]

in "default.cfg" which calls "postfx.cfg" in "config/ui/hud/"

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2018-04-27 19:21:19)

Board footer