#51 2017-08-30 12:57:04

rransom.8774

Re: Fantasy Castle VI + Texture Pack

First problem: Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/objects/*) are under the CC BY-NC-SA-2.5 license.  Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/jean_ayers/skull/*) are under the CC BY-SA-3.0 license.  If an asset (or other work) is distributed under one of the CC BY-SA or CC BY-NC-SA licenses, it can only be incorporated into works which are also distributed under the same license or a later version of the same license.  In particular, you can't use an asset distributed under CC BY-NC-SA in the same map as an asset distributed under CC BY-SA.

Second problem: You forgot to load the height maps for the Nobiax textures which use them.  (Add “texture z "yughues/patternXX_height.png"” to the .tex files for patterns 70 through 79, replacing “XX” with the pattern number.)

#52 2017-08-30 17:00:26

Blindabuser1

rransom.8774 wrote:

First problem: Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/objects/*) are under the CC BY-NC-SA-2.5 license.  Some of the assets (media/model/mapmodel/jean_ayers/skull/*) are under the CC BY-SA-3.0 license. [...] In particular, you can't use an asset distributed under CC BY-NC-SA in the same map as an asset distributed under CC BY-SA.

Those have been ported directly from Sauerbraten Collect Edition (hence the "ported_from_sauerbraten" file I've included in each folder): I've thought that, if it's safe distributing them within the official Sauerbraten package, then perhaps I could do the same (especially since no modifications have been made and I'd consider each texture/model set as a distinct item within the package) but you say it is not allowed? Please, enlighten me.

Anyway, as I've pointed out in my original post, this map and its content (mine, at least) are licensed for Personal Use Only, as it's mostly for demonstration purposes right for those reasons I've thoroughly explained before. It is neither released for inclusion in an official release of Tesseract, nor for redistribution. And if even this were to be insufficient, I'd have no problem in removing my original post from this forum (or ask a moderator do to so).

rransom.8774 wrote:

Second problem: You forgot to load the height maps for the Nobiax textures which use them.

Thank you for the advice (It was just a small oversight): I've already fixed each one of them, and I plan to release a new revision of the map within the next days, with this correction. Furthermore, I'm working at my texture-pack in order to replace the only copyrighted photograph, and I hope to upload it too within a few days, this time released under a CC0 license, if that might help. :)

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-30 19:32:06)

#53 2017-08-31 05:00:56

Blindabuser1

New Textures!

UPDATE - 31/8/2017:

- Uploaded a new revision of the map, which corrects a small oversight of mine. Nobiax textures now load their matching height map correctly (thanks rransom.8774 for the bug report).

- Solved a copyright issue on a crucial texture: I have released a standalone texture pack, with two new textures as a replacement for the only copyrighted photograph. it's being distributed with a CC0 (Public Domain) license and can be used for both personal and commercial purposes. However, I've left the textures included within the map package untouched, so beware: those are for Personal Purposes Only. If you want just the textures and wish to use them for your projects, download the texture pack instead (don't use the ones included with the map).

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-31 05:54:15)

Board footer