#1 2017-07-29 21:16:56

Blindabuser1

Fantasy Castle VI + Texture Pack

Map Logo
Castle Intro

SYNOPSIS:

It's been seven years after my last map. I see many things have changed, but besides tedious health problems not leaving me much room for games lately, here I am anyway, with something new to share. This sixth installment of my "Fantasy Castle" map series, also the largest and most detailed of them all, is mainly a proof of concept. My goal was to push the amazing Tesseract Engine to the edge (which I have found about two years ago) attempting to achieve the best possible results, especially in aesthetic terms, hoping to prove that this game deserves much more than being just a side project (I know: Cube 2 is not a democracy, but I'm stubborn).

I've built new high-res textures, along with several mapmodels. I have also made sure to keep the right proportions to allow, for example, shooting from the battlements, and I've took inspiration from real Italian castles, specifically the ones built by the Scaliger family back in 1200/1300. Main mode is CTF, with four flags (credit to RaZgRiZ for the idea) that I have tried to distribute evenly. I'm well aware that this map is not even close to what could be actually achieved, but I've been alone in this challenging project, so I hope you can still appreciate my effort. Enjoy! :)

-------

MULTIMEDIA (Hi-Res Links):

CTF Tactics Video
The Castle Courtyard
The Windmill (with animated blades)
The Pine Forest
The Watermill (with animated wheel)
The Castle Keep
Muuuuuuuh!
The Cabin
The Bridge
The Rowboat
The Dungeon
The Whole Map

-------

LICENSE AND DOWNLOAD:

This map and some of the included textures and mapmodels (specifically the ones within "\texture\blindabuser" and "\mapmodel\blindabuser") AKA "the files" have been created by Gabriele "Blindabuser" Magurno, are copyright-protected and are released under a Personal-Use-Only license. (Please, refer to "KNOWN ISSUES" below, to get to know more about it, or read "fc6.txt" included within the package for full license and credits). For all the other files included within this package, please refer to the readme/license which can be found in their respective folders.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD THE MAP here (305Mb - Includes textures, but for Personal Use Only).

DOWNLOAD MY MEDIEVAL TEXTURES here (114Mb - Standalone pack, Public Domain License).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

The first time you load the map, to prevent aesthetic issues, it is necessary to press E to enter edit mode, then T and finally type:

/exec media/map/fc6.cfg

-------

KNOWN ISSUES:

As I hadn't actually considered the idea of sharing this map when I've started it, since it was just a diversion from my daily health problems, issues which began to arise later in the making (either related to bugs I couldn't solve or licenses not allowing free distribution) eventually forced me to restrict the use and sharing of this map. Here in detail:

1) HORSE MAPMODEL FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY:
this is the only one, between many I've tested, with historically accurate horse tacks, working textures, low poly and a properly formatted obj (which Tesseract could recognize). Needs replacement.

2) CRUCIAL TEXTURE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY (OR ELSE PAY $79) (SOLVED!)
I have released a standalone texture pack, with two new textures as a replacement for the only copyrighted photograph. it's being distributed with a CC0 (Public Domain) license and can be used for both personal and commercial purposes. However, I've left the textures included within the map package untouched, so beware: those are for Personal Purposes Only. If you want just the textures and wish to use them for your projects, please download the texture pack instead (don't use the ones included with the map).

3) GRASS SETTINGS ARE GLOBAL VARIABLES:
While I understand the possible reasons, having any grass-related variables set as global is a mapper's nightmare, especially in my case: this map makes extensive use of grass, and if I'm unable to change its features via .cfg, the whole map will look pretty bland. I'm on a 7-years-old machine running Windows XP SP3, with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 video card, and I can play on this map flawlessly, with 2x AA and anisotropic filtering enabled, getting a peak of 110 fps or 60 constant fps with vsync enabled. Hope this can be changed as I hardly believe there exist computers older than mine, really.

4) TEXTURE ARTIFACTS ON TESS-GENERATED MAPMODELS:
Being incapable of using 3D-modeling software understanding why 3D-modeling software must be so complicated, I've attempted making most of the needed mapmodels directly in Tesseract, but it was too late when I've discovered that, unless one aligns the model to the texture origin and avoids using vscale/voffset/vrotate as much as I did, before exporting, it will be inevitable to end up with poor results, which I can't fix, since I didn't keep the original geometry and I'm no 3D modeler.

5) POSSIBLE LICENSE ISSUE WITH KHORNE MAPMODELS:
I've downloaded and used the (great) mapmodels included within the popular "Skyrim HD Flora Mapmodels" at Quadropolis but, besides that old forum screenshot, I haven't been able to find a valid license file. I guess issues might arise in the case this map would (unlikely) be included.

6) HORIZONTAL LINE ON BOTH WATERFALLS:
I haven't been able to get rid of that annoying artifact, but it's just what happens at the meeting point of the x and y axis of a bent geometry with valpha enabled... or so it seems, I guess.

7) ROCKS ARE INTANGIBLE AND YOU CAN GO THROUGH THEM (SOLVED!)
Applied the "mdltricollide collide" command, thanks to Chasester1.

8) THE MAP ISN'T OPTIMIZED FOR GAMEPLAY:
First off, it's too big: you have to walk a lot (I mean, seriously) in order to reach any of the flags, that's why I've added four of them. It gets quite boring, after a while. Perhaps this map would fit better in a RPG game, but I doubt such feature has ever been ported. Also, the whole medieval theme doesn't really match the playermodel's textures and weapons. An alternate skin, maybe? Last but not least, so much open space means almost instant kill.

9) YOU GET WARNED FOR EDITING A MAP, IN AN EDITING-BASED GAME:
Well, I know this hasn't much to do with the rest, but I got really pissed-off when I've attempted testing the map online and my friend always ended up being set as spectator for "editing the map" (which is something he never really did). Seems an excess of zeal, to me: in a game where editing is the main feature, sounds quite demential counterproductive. Fortunately, not everyone loves to cage themselves for the sake of a false security, so I've set the "/modifiedmapspectator" variable to 0 both in game and in my server (thanks Calinou!) and I got rid of the problem.

10) THE SIZE OF THE MAP PACKAGE EXCEEDS THAT OF THE GAME.
Not much to add, here: it's pretty self-explanatory and it's also the main reason why I was reticent about releasing this map to the public. I did it mainly for demonstration purposes, and to give a chance to play this map to those brave enough to download it.

-------

CREDITS AND SPECIAL THANKS:
  • Lee "Eihrul" Salzman, Shane Nieb, Kevin "Hirato Kirata" Meyer for this fantastic engine, which I've enjoyed much, especially while mapping.

• RaZgRiZ and Lord Kv for the (involuntary) help with the waterfall's scrolling texture and transparency, plus the multiple flags idea.

• Calinou, for (unknowingly) pointing me to the /modifiedmapspectator variable, helping me to solve server issues while testing the map.

• Chasester, RazgRiZ and rransom.8774 for various suggestions and for their help to solve the bounding box issue with the rock mapmodels and the rendering artifacts on the water texture used for both waterfalls.

• All the sites and people who kindly provided the third-party photographs, textures and mapmodels I've used in this map (see fc6.txt)

I dedicate this map to the good people I met in the old (best) days of the Cube 2 Engine, among whom the following players, mappers and coders: Lee "Eihrul" Salzman, Shane Nieb, Robert "baby-rabbit" Pointon, Quinton "Quin" Reeves, John "Geartrooper" Siar, Roland "rocknrol" Krüger, SWATLLAMA, Noobalicious, SkinnyPup!, Killasmurf, RaZgRiZ, MeatROme, MakkE and many others I miss.

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-31 05:52:39)

#2 2017-08-01 15:14:38

RaZgRiZ

Re: Fantasy Castle VI + Texture Pack

Not sure if i should say "welcome back from the dead you magnificent bastard" or "holy balls he still does the thing" but take them both. :P

I have work in not too long so I can't have a look right now but i will be having a look later and you can expect me to nitpick things and ask many unrelated questions such as what happened to you, where did you disappear, what have you been keeping an eye on this entire time and are you still interested in Tesseract as an engine - oops, kinda listed them all.

In any case, i'll share this with a few people so we can take a look, and you can take time off your next lunch break to answer these questions before i get mad you took off the radar just like that :D

#3 2017-08-02 00:55:26

Blindabuser1

Hey RaZ, it's been such a long time, indeed!
It's a pleasure talking to you again (also nice reference to the Evil Dead... or did you mean the X-Files?)
Glad you've been the first one to reply: coincidentally, I have a few scripting issues which I'm sure you'd solve in seconds.... No, I'm not that opportunistic, really! However, since I've thanked you so many times in my post (which is why you replied first, right?) expect some requests from me, later! XD

Thanks for your interest in my humble map. I've tried to cover most of the (many) issues directly in my post, but I guess there are others I've missed which I will (not) be glad to answer, haha. Now, to your questions:

1) I moved from Italy to Argentina (where I still live) back in 2010, then I've faced tedious health problems which confined me at home, so, to avoid getting bored, I decided to check if anything positive had happened about Sauerbraten (one of the reasons I disappeared was the usual reluctance to introduce new features to a game I was playing since 2005) and... Boom! I've found this amazing novelty (bows to Eihrul in awe).

2) If I weren't interested in Tesseract, both as an engine and as a game, why would I have spent seven months of my life building this huge, useless map? I doubt I'll make more stuff for a while since I feel pretty nauseated and tired at the moment, but if there will be enough requests, I'll replace the only copyrighted photo and release the whole texture pack as CC0: I guess it'd be worth sharing. :)

I have read the interview to Eihrul, the issues he had to face (I'm sorry to know) and his decision to keep Sauerbraten as the main project. Needless to say, besides the fact that he's free to decide anything he wants in his own game, I wholeheartedly disagree with such choice, as Sauerbraten now looks so obsolete (I hate my old logo/loading screen with passion) while Tesseract is so full of potential and would be the right replacement, while still keeping Sauer alive. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but I felt like expressing my irrelevant thoughts too, as an ex contributor to this wonderful game.

To me, the gameplay is the perfect balance between the speed of Sauer and the slowness of AssaultCube. Add a couple more modes, weapons and the ability to bend materials (!) and I'm confident this game would quickly lead the whole Open-Source scene. Right now, what it lacks the most is content; the engine and features are almost all there already. Oh, speaking about content: I've (partially) re-textured test_ctf to my taste and also made a (quick and poorly textured) CTF remake of the classic "space" which I've always found as one of the funniest maps ever... but I guess you are too young for having ever played it. :P

This is becoming a text-wall, I'm sorry. I just wanted to add that I've installed and tested your wonderful ALUI mod, and while I feel more comfortable with the original menus, speaking about the generic ones, I have been amazed by the ease of use and the ergonomics of the editing part. Great job, really. I've also played many times the Anticube 2 map that you and Lord Kv have made. I'm speechless, both concerning aesthetics, gameplay and scripting. Needless to say this should be one of the main features of the next release... just to show off its potential. :)

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-02 04:41:36)

#4 2017-08-04 03:45:40

RaZgRiZ

You know I'm all up for cubescript questions! I'm sure you're all pent up after so long so just shoot the whole load, I can take it. >_>

1) Ouch, wasn't aware you were dealing with such a thing. Uhh.. uhm. Get well soon? :) Nah but seriously, hope it's going at least a little better for you lately.

2) It is kinda absurd to pay $79 for a single picture. Not even museums charge that much. We shall replace it. For Earth.

Red Eclipse is working into porting existing maps and menus over to the Tess's engine, look forward to that! Also i'm helping out with the remake of Revelade Revolution (i still think the name is weird) in a similar manner and i'm further developing my AL.UI mod there! :D

Lastly, why I ought to spank you for saying you like the original menus better! I mean sure there's been some artistic liberties and others are a bit half done *cough* options map browser and player menus *cough* but it's definitely a step up! I have to say though that the changes to the editing controls are by far the biggest QOL so far. Now if only particles were better.

Haah, you should come hang out with us on discord man, drop by and say hello!

https://discord.gg/vP8FKdm

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2017-08-04 03:47:21)

#5 2017-08-04 21:27:49

Blindabuser1

Thank you RaZ, for your kind suggestions: even though I've been always focused on the main project, I think maybe it's time to follow your advice and take a look at the new opportunities if Tesseract's development keeps going slowly. It's a pity, though, as this game already has almost everything I like. I've tried connecting to Discord but my browser is too old, and I can't upgrade (it's pretty long to explain). Right now I'm in the middle of a (long) scheduled backup, but I could either download their Windows client or Android app later, perhaps. Thank you for the invitation! :D

Concerning my health, I appreciate your concern. I've learned not to worry, since unfortunately it's worsening year by year and there's no ultimate remedy, but we all have to die at some point, and I am at peace with myself. As for the picture needing a replacement: sure, if there'll be enough interest (after vacations, perhaps? Now it's just us two, it seems. But if YOU want it, I'll make an exception. :P)

I haven't said I like the original menus better! I said I'm more comfortable with them (and I talk only about the main menus). Habits, you know? I have also said that I'm truly impressed by the editing part of AL.UI, which should replace the original, IMHO. On your part, instead, I haven't heard anything about my fat, useless map.... I'm afraid it's worse than I thought. XD

RaZgRiZ wrote:

You know I'm all up for cubescript questions!

Thank you! Maybe we're going off-topic but you're a moderator, so, if it's OK for you then I guess it's fine. Also, there doesn't seem to be much activity out there... so, here are my questions (excuse me for the lenght):

1) In Sauerbraten, I used for years a nice HUD script found at Quadropolis, which unfortunately doesn't work on Tesseract ($gamehud missing) since some syntax has changed and I have no clue how to fix it. Basically, it constantly displayed the player stats on a single row at the bottom of the HUD. It'd be very useful.

gamehud = [ result (format "%1^f1Frags: ^f3%2  ^f1Deaths: ^f3%3  ^f1Acc: ^f3%4%%  ^f1KpD: ^f3%5%6" (? $arg1 (format "^f1Name: ^f3%1  " (getname))) (getfrags) (getdeaths) (getaccuracy) (substr (divf (getfrags) (max (getdeaths) 1)) 0 4) (? (> (getmode) 10) (concat "  ^f1Flags:^f3" (getflags)))) ]

2) SOLVED! (see below. ;)

3) Last one (I hope you're not hating me :/): I'd love to port the Sauerbraten "postfx menu" (<= line 826) in Tesseract, but again, syntax has changed and I have almost zero scripting knowledge. Every effect still works, apart from the bloom stuff, which could be ideally replaced with:

bloomsize 10 // default = 9
bloomtreshold 0.3 // default = 0.8

It was all, I think. Thank you in advance, hope you can help me... and I do not expect you to answer right away. =: P

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-20 20:48:17)

#6 2017-08-08 20:13:49

Cisoun

Damn son... Nice work !

#7 2017-08-08 23:50:05

Blindabuser1

Thank you, I'm glad about your appreciation! I also wanted to tell you that the water settings in your "Steam" map helped me overcome a screen tearing issue that I've encountered before upgrading to the newest SVN release. :)

#8 2017-08-20 20:36:27

Blindabuser1

RaZgRiZ wrote:

You know I'm all up for cubescript questions! I'm sure you're all pent up after so long so just shoot the whole load, I can take it. >_>]

Thank you... but you could have specified that you had no intention to reply! =:P
Now, concerning the second issue, I've finally figured out how to keep the "universaldelta" function while in edit mode, and then automatically (almost!) switch to mine while fragging: :)

bind "MOUSEWHEELUP" [if $editing [ums_delta  1] [gamespeed (if (= $gamespeed 100) 25 100)]]
bind "MOUSEWHEELDOWN" [if $editing [ums_delta  -1] [gamespeed (if (= $gamespeed 100) 150 100)]]

With regard to the other questions (I'd really like to solve the one about the HUD) I've been thoroughly inspecting "doc\dev\ref_ui.cfg" without being able to understand how to build a transparent ui with Kills/Deaths/Flags and KpD at the bottom-left (or right) of the screen yet. Any help, please? :/

#9 2017-08-21 01:26:14

chasester1

by useing objtricolide collide command in your model config you can have mesh based collision to solve number 7.

For an example you can see media/model/mapmodel/nieb/complex/palletlift/obj.cfg.

for other model types just replace obj with the model type abrivation (md5, md4 iqm etc).

#10 2017-08-21 01:31:42

chasester1

for 6, ive not actually downloaded the map but this sounds like you need to kill the +z and -z sides of ech of the cubes. you can do this by selecting the said geometry and selecting the top or bottom of it then typeing in valpha 0.0 0.0 this will set the bottom and top faces to unrenered, if this doesnt fix the problem try insead selection the top and then the bottom applying sky texture to both surfaces. Then insure that skytexture 0 is set. if the problem still prosist you can select the front of the waterfall and try valpha curalphaValue 0.0 this will set the back faces to 0. do this for the front back and sides of the said cubes. If you show me a picture there may be something I could help fix. Though a model is normally better for rendering waterfalls.

#11 2017-08-21 23:21:43

Blindabuser1

Hey Chasester, thank you very much for taking the time to read over my huge text-wall.

Concerning the model's bounding box, your suggestion has been very helpful, although it did seem to work only by using "mdltricollide" rather than "objtricollide" (I still could go through the rocks) anyhow here are the final results! :)
Rocks rock with the right bounding box!

As for the other issue, I've been applying all the methods you've described (thanks for that too) but unfortunately I've had no luck: the problem still persists. I had originally imported Nieb's waterfall model from Sauerbraten, but it didn't show the transparency on Tesseract, that's why I've made mine out of game geometry. Here's an animated gif for you to see the problem in detail:
Waterfall with ugly horizontal line!

#12 2017-08-21 23:28:33

RaZgRiZ

I think your issue here is that the water texture on the top is at a different orientation and offset than the texture on the side.

I suggest replacing it with a temporary texture specially designed to see the boundaries so you can track the offset and rotation to match - you should be able to get rid of the line then.

#13 2017-08-21 23:33:43

chasester1

@mdl vs obj colide
lol im not suprised I dont know the difference, i was just following how neib did it, probably different model so different colision type. Mdl commands are normally non model type dependent, a lot of the model commands are overcomplicated and hard to understand in my opinion.

@the other Id have to play with it, its a texture seem not a render error, you need to make the cube normals face the same direction
maybe try rebuilding the mesh as one hole cube rathere than building 2 parts. if that makes sense. The problem (and its hard to tell with moving textures) is that one texture i rendering from 0,0 on the texture from -z and the other is rendering 0,0 from +z so basically you are not matching the 2 seems up. (like uv mapping). At least thats what it looks like its definitely not a render error tho.

I would get a checkerboard texture and try to reconstruct the cubes so the checkers line up correctly then re aply the texture settings and see if that doesnt fix the issue.

chasester

@edit ill look at the map in a lil bit and see if i Cant elimiate it.

Last edited by chasester1 (2017-08-21 23:40:36)

#14 2017-08-22 04:22:15

Blindabuser1

RaZgRiZ wrote:

I think your issue here is that the water texture on the top is at a different orientation and offset than the texture on the side.

It's just the default water texture with no offset or rotation: I've then applied valpha to the whole block and vscroll to the upper and front side, with +/- values as Chasester pointed out and that's where you get that horizontal line. Unfortunately, if I change the grid of that bent cube or make it different, I only end up with the line above or below its current position. :/

chasester1 wrote:

I would get a checkerboard texture and try to reconstruct the cubes so the checkers line up correctly

Checkerboard waterfall
I've retextured the waterfall with the default checkerboard and removed the rock mapmodels, but, as you can see, the grid looks correct when you remove the transparency, so I don't really know what's the reason. Thanks to both for your help, and to Chasester also for downloading my map and trying.
I'll wait for (hopefully good) news, not a big hassle if it can't be removed. :)

Edit: just in case, here are the settings I've used with the water texture (if it may be useful).

valpha 0.1 0.1; vcolor 8 8 10; vscroll 0 2/0 -2

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-22 04:53:36)

#15 2017-08-22 22:08:02

rransom.8774

Blindabuser1 wrote:

I've retextured the waterfall with the default checkerboard and removed the rock mapmodels, but, as you can see, the grid looks correct when you remove the transparency,

Not quite.  Notice the row with only three of the second-largest squares rather than the usual four (just below the row with a 45-degree slope, and with a light (partial) square on the left end of the row.  That's where the problem is.

You might want to try the ‘triplanar’ shader for this; it's designed to blend curves like this with a blur rather than a seam.

#16 2017-08-23 00:38:55

Blindabuser1

rransom.8774 wrote:

Not quite.  Notice the row with only three of the second-largest squares rather than the usual four (just below the row with a 45-degree slope, and with a light (partial) square on the left end of the row.  That's where the problem is.

Dang, you're right Sir! I remember once Eihrul told me I have a sharp eye, but it doesn't seem so sharp anymore... the age, I guess. Thank you for pointing me out that.

rransom.8774 wrote:

You might want to try the ‘triplanar’ shader for this; it's designed to blend curves like this with a blur rather than a seam.

Again, thank you. I admit I'm pretty clumsy understanding shaders, especially shader parameters, but I'll try and see what I can do. Is there any reference about it? I haven't found anything on the classic editref.html.

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-23 01:03:22)

#17 2017-08-23 01:00:53

rransom.8774

Blindabuser1 wrote:
rransom.8774 wrote:

Again, thank you. I admit I'm pretty clumsy understanding shaders, especially shader parameters, but I'll try and see what I can do. Is there any reference about it? I haven't found anything on the classic editref.html.

It's used in the standard map test_ctf; see the .cfg file for that map.  The shader is implemented in config/glsl/world.cfg .

Try using the shader with its default triplanarbias value first; don't copy the value used in test_ctf.cfg .

#18 2017-08-23 01:02:52

chasester1

its probably that but its more the sunlight, i would just lower the spec on that texture, you can also do this for the water as well using waterspec. This will get rid of the odd sunlight spot that shows up on that angle which really highlights the seem. I think more the problem come from this highligh cuz in fullbright it doesnt really show at all.

#19 2017-08-23 01:04:51

Blindabuser1

rransom.8774 wrote:

It's used in the standard map test_ctf; see the .cfg file for that map.  The shader is implemented in config/glsl/world.cfg ..

I've just tried with these parameters:

setshader "bumpspectriplanarworld" // added "triplanar" to previous shader
setshaderparam specscale 4

The screenshot has been taken using "triplanarbumpspecworld" and it looks very well, but animation (vscroll) doesn't work anymore. If I type "bumpspectriplanarworld" instead, the animation works, but specularity disappear completely. No animation also if using the same shader and parameters found on test_ctf.cfg
It works?

Last edited by Blindabuser1 (2017-08-23 01:09:43)

#20 2017-08-23 01:18:59

rransom.8774

Blindabuser1 wrote:

The screenshot has been taken using "triplanarbumpspecworld" and it looks very well, but animation (vscroll) doesn't work anymore. If I type "bumpspectriplanarworld" instead, the animation works, but specularity disappear completely.

There is no shader named “bumpspectriplanarworld”, so that'll use some default instead.  (Look in world.cfg for the available shader names; there are two lists there, one before ‘bumpvariantshader’ and one after.)

vscroll doesn't work because its behaviour is not well-defined with the triplanar shader.  I'll think about how to replace it.

#21 2017-08-23 01:36:14

Blindabuser1

Yes, sorry: I wrote that message before, while still trying to figure out how to use the shader; then you replied so I've read and changed the syntax, but to avoid breaking the chronological flow I've pasted my reply inside a new message. I've been looking at the available triplanar shader variants in world.cfg, and the ones I've tried seem not to support vscroll. Thanks for your help, anyway.

#22 2017-08-23 11:11:07

chasester1

I can  look at this shader and see if I cant fix the scrolling error.  Its probably just not checking for the right values. Be nice if texture shaders worked like the model shaders ;p I should be able to rewrite it to work but you would need to name it a different name, get some one to fix the svn, or something of that nature, for packaging reasons

SOOOOOOOOOOO
@edit
there is a very large error with this shader. Not 100% sure what exactly makes this happen but more or less some times (mainly at near or around 45 degrees) it will just average the texture leaving one solid texture. The easiest way to reproduce this is by going into textures/neib/base/base2.tex and changing the shader to one of the tri shaders. I used triplanarbumpworld cuz that matched best to what i was trying. Open the game and create a new map, create a pyrimid using angle blocks (just angle each block 8 times to create a slanted shape). You will notice that on one (sometimes 2) of the angels it just goes completely gray. If you do not get this let me know so i can see maybe i have older shaders. So this is basically whats causeing the gap. I bet if you took the geometry out of that map and rotaed it around it probably would work on 2 angles.

As for scrolling texture for tri I did find it and fix it but ill need this shader fixed before i can make sure I did it correctly, It works on the 2 sides that dont error out with the above error so my guess is it would work if the error was fixed.

chasester

staring at ln 327 (only need to add the 4-6 lines obviously)  in world.cfg in the glsl folder.

texcoordx = vec2(vvertex.y, -vvertex.z) * texgenscale;
                texcoordy = vec2(vvertex.x, -vvertex.z) * texgenscale;
                texcoordz = vec2(vvertex.x, vvertex.y) * @(? (btopt "d") "detailscale" "texgenscale");
				texcoordx += texgenscroll;
				texcoordy += texgenscroll;
				texcoordz += texgenscroll;
                normal = vnormal;
                tangentx = normalize(vec3(1.001, 0.0, 0.0) - vnormal*vnormal.x);
                tangenty = normalize(vec3(0.0, 1.001, 0.0) - vnormal*vnormal.y);
                tangentz = normalize(vec3(0.0, 0.0, -1.001) + vnormal*vnormal.z);

that will make it scroll. It works at most angles but has a similar problem, I assume this is to do with the above error but im not 100%. Remember to do a calclight or it wont work the triplanar shader needs to have an optimized map.

Last edited by chasester1 (2017-08-23 13:42:39)

#23 2017-08-23 13:41:11

rransom.8774

chasester1 wrote:

there is a very large error with this shader. Not 100% sure what exactly makes this happen but more or less some times (mainly at near or around 45 degrees) it will just average the texture leaving one solid texture. The easiest way to reproduce this is by going into textures/neib/base/base2.tex and changing the shader to one of the tri shaders. I used triplanarbumpworld cuz that matched best to what i was trying. Open the game and create a new map, create a pyrimid using angle blocks (just angle each block 8 times to create a slanted shape). You will notice that on one (sometimes 2) of the angels it just goes completely gray. If you do not get this let me know so i can see maybe i have older shaders.

Try setting triplanarbias to point along one axis (e.g. (0.0, 0.0, 0.3); don't increase its maximum component value).  That might help.

So this is basically whats causeing the gap.

No, the visible seam only appeared with a non-triplanar shader.

As for scrolling texture for tri I did find it and fix it but ill need this shader fixed before i can make sure I did it correctly, It works on the 2 sides that dont error out with the above error so my guess is it would work if the error was fixed.

I don't think you understand the problem.  Delete (or rename) the concrete texture that test_ctf uses with the triplanar shader and look at it in the game: the texture is mirrored on half of the cube faces, and you don't get to choose which of them.  vscroll is defined in terms of texture coordinates, so if you use texgenscroll the same way as the non-triplanar shader does, it will scroll the textures in the same radial direction around some corners, but in opposite directions around others.

You need to add an axis-selection input, limited to one of the six cardinal directions, and then use texgenscroll.y to control scrolling along that axis and texgenscroll.x to scroll around that axis.  The ‘around’ part is the hard one (and the part Blindabuser needs here), because the shader needs to figure out how the current face is oriented relative to the axis and negate the scroll input if the texture is mirrored along that direction.  (Or alternatively, it could use the axis input to un-mirror the texture so it wraps around that axis consistently.)

#24 2017-08-23 13:44:19

chasester1

@rransom Ill post a pic of what im seeing in a moment

http://imgur.com/a/kAfa5

and all the bias does is changes how much it effects the other 2 cube next to it. if you notice there is a slight bleed at the default but if you increase or decrease it changes how much bleed it has. It looks to me that the diffused map is incorrect when it is blended between 2 of the angles, or on of the angles is incorrect. You can try it yourself and see if its only something Ive had a problem with.

I think the normal map is working fine it is just the diffused map that is the problem. Ill look in the code and see if I can figure out what exactly is happening. But my guess is theres something just slightly off thats making it not work.

ps turn off gi and it makes it much easier to tell whats going on.

Last edited by chasester1 (2017-08-23 13:56:36)

#25 2017-08-23 14:07:31

rransom.8774

chasester1 wrote:

@rransom Ill post a pic of what im seeing in a moment

http://imgur.com/a/kAfa5

Oh.  Try using the error texture (game/notexture.png, or thisfiledoesnotexist.png).  When base2.png is averaged with a copy of itself mirrored across exactly one axis, it produces a mostly flat mid-level gray not far from what your pictures show.

Board footer