#1 2014-05-17 21:51:46

Max

"Speed hack" - not really a bug - Feature request

I've played on a server with around 10 people and saw someone who used a so called "speedhack". This user said that he needed roundabout 30 minutes to recompile the client to have more "speed". Isn't there a serverside speed measuring or something similiar?

It would be great if the server could decide how fast a user could be - and what location the user could have - otherwise it should drop the connection or repositioning the client.

#2 2014-05-17 22:35:20

Manic

Re: "Speed hack" - not really a bug - Feature request

Yes, cheaters are really annoying. I have also started a thread http://tesseract.gg/forum/viewtopic.php?id=50 where I have reported some cheaters. A server-side or a server-and-client-side anti-cheat would be really nice.

#3 2014-05-18 13:09:45

Calinou

Client-side anti-cheat is probably a big “no”, let's not go back to Cube era. Movement is likely to stay client-side to make the game playable with slower connections.

Server-side anti-cheat is always prone to false positives and can increase server CPU usage. It is however technically possible: there's a Sauerbraten server mod named “zeromod” which has some more cheat detections than the vanilla server.

#4 2014-05-19 21:22:47

Max

Calinou wrote:

Client-side anti-cheat is probably a big “no”, let's not go back to Cube era. Movement is likely to stay client-side to make the game playable with slower connections.

It should be no problem that the Movement is client side - but the server should say "NO" if the client does go through a wall or sth like that - that would be no problem for slower connections.

#5 2014-05-20 09:04:18

Calinou

Max wrote:
Calinou wrote:

It should be no problem that the Movement is client side - but the server should say "NO" if the client does go through a wall or sth like that - that would be no problem for slower connections.

This still increases CPU usage (maybe not by huge amounts, but some people would like to host servers on slow machines) and is not trivial to code at all (to avoid false positives).

#6 2014-05-20 12:21:55

Pritchard

I think the best option is to leave it up to third party developers. Providing a stable, functional base server is important, rather than a bloated, buggy one. IF people want anticheat, then they are free to create their own server for Tesseract that supports it, as some have done with Sauerbraten.

#7 2014-05-20 12:32:55

Hypernova^

Pritchard wrote:

I think the best option is to leave it up to third party developers. Providing a stable, functional base server is important, rather than a bloated, buggy one. IF people want anticheat, then they are free to create their own server for Tesseract that supports it, as some have done with Sauerbraten.

Would such a server mod qualify as "modifying gameplay" and be unallowed on Sauerbraten/Tesseract's master server?

#8 2014-05-20 13:01:10

RaZgRiZ

Hypernova^ wrote:
Pritchard wrote:

Would such a server mod qualify as "modifying gameplay" and be unallowed on Sauerbraten/Tesseract's master server?

No, making sure the clients are behaving consistently does not count as modified gameplay.

#9 2014-05-20 13:52:44

Hypernova^

RaZgRiZ wrote:
Hypernova^ wrote:
Pritchard wrote:

No, making sure the clients are behaving consistently does not count as modified gameplay.

Ok good :)

Board footer