#1 2015-12-30 23:35:45

tchiguel

[Resolved] how to create a server ?

I read a few topic in the forum and I also search in the game files, but I didn't find.
Please anyone can show me a tutorial, or anythings like this.

Last edited by tchiguel (2016-01-04 19:27:14)

#2 2015-12-31 03:50:19

chasester

Re: [Resolved] how to create a server ?

Do you want a server for others to play on or just yourself.

When you enter any mp mode (basically all modes bots can be added to), you are technically on a dependent server. (basically you set up a server internally and connect to it through the same system just without using the network).

If you want to set up a stand alone (on any platform), just click the sever.bat. (NOTE: on window this auto hides into your tray (bottom left corner by the clock) you will see a tesseract icon. Click on it. A dos promt is open. This is your server.

Now get your ip address from google by typing What is my ip address, and copy it. Go open tesseract normally, type connect "THEN PASTE THE IP ADDRESS" hit enter, wait til you connect. Tab out of the game into the dos command prompt, if you did this correctly then the command prompt should say something to the effect of "your username" has connect. If you want others to join your server you can just send them the IP address and have them type connect IPADRESS into the command prompt like mentioned above.

KEEP IN MIND: if you are using your own computer to run a server, you may have a fire wall blocking any out side connection (people that are not on the same network). Disable this on your router, and dis able windows defender (just till you are done playing). Most the time I have not had a problem with the routers its more the windows defender (or another antivirus soft ware) an normally they will prompt you to allow or deny this program access.

ALSO: If you have a standard isp (internet service provider; aka you are on a home plan and not a busness or server plan) your ip will be dynamic, which means it will change every few weeks, so if it doesnt work after a while you may need to look up your ip again, and make sure all that are trying to connect have the updated ip.

hope this helps
chasester

#3 2015-12-31 11:59:29

tchiguel

First, thanks you very much !
I tryied to launch the server.bat but i had an error message: "Windows didn't found 'bin64\tesseract.exe'. Chek you have enter the correct name, then try again."

PS:I am sorry for my very bad english, I am french ^^

#4 2016-01-01 00:02:28

chasester

look at you tesseract.bat (rightclick edit, or open with.. edit with notepad etc)

@ECHO OFF

set TESS_BIN=bin

IF /I "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "amd64" (
    set TESS_BIN=bin
)
IF /I "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432%" == "amd64" (
    set TESS_BIN=bin
)

start %TESS_BIN%\tesseract.exe "-u$HOME\My Games\Tesseract" -gserver-log.txt -d %*

Replace it with above, the problem is that you are working on a 64 bit machine but you have no bin64/tesseract.exe, so you can just drop it in there or just change the directory to bin/tesseract.exe. The above code just changes the looking directory to bin/teseract.exe. The server runs the same exe with different starting paramaters as you can see above.

chasester

PS I THINK THE SVN VERSION DOESNT HAVE A 64 bit EXE by default 0.0 maybe that could be fixed :)

PSS: I tryed this and it didnt work could just be a fire wall issue, but if it doesnt work it may be the fact that the masterserver was taken down?

Last edited by chasester (2016-01-01 00:09:19)

#5 2016-01-02 17:00:11

RaZgRiZ

chasester wrote:

look at you tesseract.bat (rightclick edit, or open with.. edit with notepad etc)

@ECHO OFF

set TESS_BIN=bin

IF /I "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" == "amd64" (
    set TESS_BIN=bin
)
IF /I "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432%" == "amd64" (
    set TESS_BIN=bin
)

start %TESS_BIN%\tesseract.exe "-u$HOME\My Games\Tesseract" -gserver-log.txt -d %*

Replace it with above, the problem is that you are working on a 64 bit machine but you have no bin64/tesseract.exe, so you can just drop it in there or just change the directory to bin/tesseract.exe. The above code just changes the looking directory to bin/teseract.exe. The server runs the same exe with different starting paramaters as you can see above.

chasester

PS I THINK THE SVN VERSION DOESNT HAVE A 64 bit EXE by default 0.0 maybe that could be fixed :)

PSS: I tryed this and it didnt work could just be a fire wall issue, but if it doesnt work it may be the fact that the masterserver was taken down?

Why would you mess with the server.bat file? It's perfectly fine as it is. It automatically runs the 64bit executable if the platform the game runs on is 64 bits.
Tesseract however comes with no executables by default, so there's neither x86 nor x64 to run. You'll either have to download them from the nightly builds page or compile them yourself.
If you cannot get your hands on a x64 binary, simply comment out the line in the server.bat file to remove the check for a 64 bit platform.

#6 2016-01-04 19:26:38

tchiguel

Thanks to you.
Finally that's work (i didn't yet try for a public server) but locally allright !
I havn't got the SVN version and (don't kill me) I don't know what is that.

One more thing, where I can set my serv in edit mode, i didn't find it in the server-init ?

PS: I understand why that can't work, I runed the server.bat on administrator mode ;)

#7 2016-01-05 14:12:07

chasester

tchigue wrote:

One more thing, where I can set my serv in edit mode, i didn't find it in the server-init ?

Whatever you set in the init runs first, so mode # or edit $mapname. I would declare "mode 0" in the config, this will default it to editmode on init. Or you could just log onto the server from a client and get master and save the mode to edit mode :)

@RaZgRiz
I didnt know svn didnt come with the exes :)

thanx tho
chasester

PS: if the server-init.cfg has an error the server crashes? is this intentional, I feel there should be an assert or the console popping up and declaring where the error is :)

Board footer