#1 2015-10-28 17:42:38

bobsimov

Render-to-Texture support ?

I am working on a serious total conversion mod for Tesseract ... I was reading the features and didnt find RTT ; do i need to code it myself or does it already exist ?

thanks in advance :)

#2 2015-10-28 20:03:10

chasester

Re: Render-to-Texture support ?

Look at the playermodel gui, If you look in ui.cfg you see player_setup gui, in there it calls uiplayerpreview which is a COMMAND in the ui.cpp file. You see that it inits, Playerpreview, in that struct you see that it uses something called modelpreview::start() now that is where render to texture is more or less.

To do a render to texture you need a struct camera (where your rendering from, how it should be rendered) and a target this could be a texture or section on the screen, etc. So that code should tell you how to do it, if you move the camera into the spot you want to render from render that to a struct texture, then assign that texture to where ever you want that texture rendered at. It should do a render to texture. Ive not really looked into it that thoroughly but that's a good starting point.

chasester

PS: Id love to see any updates on your mod, its nice to see so many people not giving up on the engine even when the devs have :)

#3 2015-10-30 14:43:11

bobsimov

If you would like to know more about it , contact me via Skype or Whatsapp .
(abdullah.saleh-15) (0096170492633)

#4 2015-10-30 17:49:51

ImNotQ009

chasester wrote:

Look at the playermodel gui, If you look in ui.cfg you see player_setup gui, in there it calls uiplayerpreview which is a COMMAND in the ui.cpp file. You see that it inits, Playerpreview, in that struct you see that it uses something called modelpreview::start() now that is where render to texture is more or less.

To do a render to texture you need a struct camera (where your rendering from, how it should be rendered) and a target this could be a texture or section on the screen, etc. So that code should tell you how to do it, if you move the camera into the spot you want to render from render that to a struct texture, then assign that texture to where ever you want that texture rendered at. It should do a render to texture. Ive not really looked into it that thoroughly but that's a good starting point.

chasester

PS: Id love to see any updates on your mod, its nice to see so many people not giving up on the engine even when the devs have :)

Just because a developer doesn't update his free time project as often as you'd like it doesn't mean he's given up on it.

Last edited by ImNotQ009 (2015-10-30 17:50:11)

#5 2015-10-31 05:45:57

chasester

Then you probably shouldn't boast your Nightly updates:
but let's be real, Its been several months since you've added anything real to the engine, To me thats giving up on it. If you don't have the time its cool, im not saying it as a bad thing, but as a fact.

Honestly I'm surprised this didn't come out as sauerbraten: cube engine 3. I think it would have been more popular that way.

But any way, I didn't mean to insult you but not coming out with any thing useful in several month when you were adding things nightly, or at least weekly, Last month has been nothing but minor (or what looks like) bug fixes. And 42 days ago you added some a few new models and some new maps (made by other people). So unless you're working on stuff and not logging it, it looks pretty dead.

So I'm just stating facts in my opinion
chasester

Last edited by chasester (2015-10-31 05:46:12)

#6 2015-10-31 09:41:52

ImNotQ009

chasester wrote:

Then you probably shouldn't boast your Nightly updates:
but let's be real, Its been several months since you've added anything real to the engine, To me thats giving up on it. If you don't have the time its cool, im not saying it as a bad thing, but as a fact.

Honestly I'm surprised this didn't come out as sauerbraten: cube engine 3. I think it would have been more popular that way.

But any way, I didn't mean to insult you but not coming out with any thing useful in several month when you were adding things nightly, or at least weekly, Last month has been nothing but minor (or what looks like) bug fixes. And 42 days ago you added some a few new models and some new maps (made by other people). So unless you're working on stuff and not logging it, it looks pretty dead.

So I'm just stating facts in my opinion
chasester

It also appears you think I'm one of the developers.
I'm not. Where did you get that idea from? :P

#7 2015-11-01 05:50:43

chasester

ImNotQ009 wrote:

It also appears you think I'm one of the developers.
I'm not. Where did you get that idea from? :P

You mod a lot and your mods seem to be more polished and complete ;) I honestly only know two of them erthil (or how ever you spell it) and bunny rabbit (i think he is), and neib is like the artist dev. And you seemed to take personal offense when I called them out, so I just assumed :0

But either way, I feel that no real features will be added to the engine any time soon, so I would say its at least in a hiatus state.

But again im not a dev so what do i know
chasester

#8 2015-11-01 22:53:47

Hypernova^

@Chasester, Eihrul has mentioned on the Sauer forums why Tesseract is not Cube 3:

(In reference to a project called 'Cube Engine 4D')

Don't take this the wrong way, but please do not use the name "Cube" for your own projects as we are trying to reserve that for specific and significant advancements of the Cube engine only.

I myself did not name Tesseract as Cube 3 because it really is using the same architecture as Cube 2. As it was also my own side-project branched off from Cube proper, and in respect to our beloved Aardappel, I picked that did not directly involve Cube in its wording.

#9 2015-11-02 17:58:03

chasester

@hypernova and I assume erthil (or who ever you are quoting)

please do not use the name "Cube" for your own projects as we are trying to reserve that for specific and significant advancements of the Cube engine only.

What advancement? That a joke, the cube engine has had so few advancements (outside of minor upgrades and rewrites, and new game modes). Tesseract with a new gui system, real-time lighting, deferred shaders, etc. has so many more upgrades to the engine, then what has been released for the engine since the start of cube 2.

I myself did not name Tesseract as Cube 3 because it really is using the same architecture as Cube 2.

So when they came out with unreal engine 5 you think they started over from scratch. This is very poor logically. You come out with a major upgrades to the back end rendering system, write over 10,000 lines of code, i think that deserves to be considered an upgrade. And if thats not enough, most the mods that where started on the cube 2 engine, have made it a main priority to change over to the tesseract mod, because most people see this as a direct upgrade to cube 2.

So I strongly disagree
chasester

Last edited by chasester (2015-11-02 17:58:50)

#10 2015-11-02 20:09:25

ImNotQ009

chasester wrote:

@hypernova and I assume erthil (or who ever you are quoting)

please do not use the name "Cube" for your own projects as we are trying to reserve that for specific and significant advancements of the Cube engine only.

What advancement? That a joke, the cube engine has had so few advancements (outside of minor upgrades and rewrites, and new game modes). Tesseract with a new gui system, real-time lighting, deferred shaders, etc. has so many more upgrades to the engine, then what has been released for the engine since the start of cube 2.

You misunderstood. eihrul has been talking about advancements between iterations of Cube engine, not individual releases. And the advancement from Cube 2 to Tesseract is nothing compared to what happend between Cube and Cube 2.

Tesseract is literally just Cube 2 with more eye candy. It's still the same thing essentially.
Cube 2 however doesn't have so much in common with Cube.

#11 2015-11-03 04:35:24

chasester

no its not cube one vs cube 2:

But its a very large difference, a sizable well written difference that would modernized the cube 2 engine, so why wasnt it part of the svn builds or Collect? If tesseract wasnt enough to make it cube 3 then at least make it part of sauer. Or is there a reason why it was never added.

This idea of a pet project, that greatly improved the engine, or "eye candy" as you call it, should have been and should be added to sauerbraten. Whether its worthy of the Cube 3 name is irrelevant honestly. Time and effort was spent putting assets into this "pet project" (models textures etc) which no one actually wants to play (cuz it really has 0 game play value).

So what exactly was the point?
chasester

PS: this is kinda a mute point

Board footer