#1 2015-03-25 23:15:54

gaya

Random terrain generation on new maps

I there a way of generating a random height map when creating new maps, and therefore, having a random terrain every time a new map is created from /newmap? Or, maybe, just randomly picking from a folder with lot's of heightmaps in PNG or TGA.

#2 2015-03-26 05:22:23

gear

Re: Random terrain generation on new maps

unfortunately no, or not that I myself know of

#3 2015-03-26 13:35:28

gaya

So, i would have to run "/newmap size" and then load the heightmap of my choice?

#4 2015-03-27 11:40:37

chasester1

technically yes would take a bit of source code moding. I know some one wrote some code that made random maps like this in a matter of a few seconds. though as far as quality goes:

Tesseract (and the cube engine) uses something called voxel, which in laymens terms is a point in space. now imagine thousands of these dots in space layed in a 3d grid. now if the voxel is on it shows up and if its off it doesnt. What cube does is they simply draw a line to each dot and that makes your shape (of course its thoroughly more complex then that). This concept is called marching cubes (marching because you march between voxels and cubes cuz ever form is derived from a cube).

Now voxel terrain is extremely complex but to put it simple height map tool is to a voxel tool as a 2d game is to a 3d engine. Emencly more realistic and better. The simplest reason for this is cause a height map is a 2d gray scale imprint. basically black is indent and white is raise and all the grays inbetween are midtones of elevation, but as you can clearly denote its up or down. So 2 options which are opposites.

Voxel brushes do a far better job because they work up down left and right. Making them far more complex and useful for hills. Unfortunately tesseract does not have these and probably wont ever.

What is your project, what is your overall goal?

chasester

Last edited by chasester1 (2015-03-27 11:43:21)

#5 2015-03-29 00:09:05

gaya

Just generating a random terrain on every new map, so people can have a clean yet interesting slate to design their levels.

Board footer