#1 2015-03-04 03:32:03

gear

Creating Tutorial Videos For Edit Mode/Mapping

Hey, I'd like to help everyone who isn't so gifted at mapping with the in-game engine.
I am creating video tutorials so you can see how exactly how to do things and create what you want! (this will be a collection of videos; not just one.)

Reason: I'm doing this for myself as I have just got Adobe after effects and want to learn more about video production, but at the same time I would like to help people who are not experienced with the in game editor.

I'll be covering the very basics for NEW PLAYERS and eventually move in to advanced tutorials.

If you have any suggestions for me to cover (can be anything from changing skybox, lights, making a house, making a house roof, slopes, spheres, ladders, spiral stairs. You get the point?) You can post below and I will cover it in a video :)

I've been playing sauerbraten for at least 4 years; I am an experienced mapper that has been in the cm clan (cubic matter), FAN clan (fanatic mappers), and S3 by Erik. I used to have a successful  mapping clan called SF (Semper Foxeh).

If you would like to be in a video message me or post below!

Videos:
Copy/Paste/Rotate/Flip Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7S31fI8PAw

...more coming

Last edited by gear (2015-03-20 23:41:23)

#2 2015-03-06 05:58:40

ThaOneDon

Re: Creating Tutorial Videos For Edit Mode/Mapping

Yeah it would be great if we could get tutorials how to set up lighting and any tips and philosophy behind designing good levels.

#3 2015-03-06 07:13:36

Pritchard

Hotkeys! make a tutorial that explains all the default hotkeys in the game. That can really help speed up people's workflow.

#4 2015-03-07 04:20:36

gear

Thanks i'll keep these ideas in mind, going to make the first video tomorrow :)

#5 2015-03-07 05:06:37

gear

Pritchard wrote:

Hotkeys! make a tutorial that explains all the default hotkeys in the game. That can really help speed up people's workflow.

I would if there wasn't a menu already! All you have to do is press F10 (default) in edit mode or non-edit mode and it will show a menu with hotkeys! A different menu will come up if your in edit more or not.

For some reason it doesn't you can view them here too.
Link to folder
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

Last edited by gear (2015-03-07 07:53:11)

#6 2015-03-07 20:26:31

chasester1

i think he means explain what the commands do, like in full detail :) not just a button - command style :) like a video, cause effect :)

#7 2015-03-08 02:30:15

Goober

I'm really glad to hear of an experienced mapper making video tutorials.

Might I suggest some video guidance on advanced usage of the heightmap tool? As in how to properly construct terrain, cliffs, canyons, caves, rocky tunnels, etc.

I believe they would prove useful for many mappers, myself included.

#8 2015-03-12 01:50:15

gear

Goober wrote:

I'm really glad to hear of an experienced mapper making video tutorials.

Might I suggest some video guidance on advanced usage of the heightmap tool? As in how to properly construct terrain, cliffs, canyons, caves, rocky tunnels, etc.

I believe they would prove useful for many mappers, myself included.

Yes, the heightmap tool has some limitations and to my knowledge you will have to design some by hand always :) Personally I have always created my terrain by hand but heightmap is a great way to get a basis.

On another note, Sorry I'm taking a long time to upload the videos, I'm trying to make them perfect. I have already recorded a long tutorial video covering a lot of stuff but I think I'm going to record short videos going over a little by little (like progressive videos).

Hotkeys; I am not going to make a separate tutorial covering hotkeys. During my videos I name the keys to do what I'm showing with a review at the end and beginning. so you can remember at the end of each video. :)

#9 2015-03-20 23:43:15

gear

New Video!

This video covers how to copy, paste, flip and rotate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7S31fI8PAw

More coming... I've been having some problems uploading so please be patient :)

Board footer