#1 2015-02-24 11:38:40

Hiradur

[Duel] Nightwalk

This map started as an experiment how dynamic lighting could take an influence on gameplay. It's a very dark map with few dynamic lights casting shadows to walls so you can get an idea were your opponent is. It's layout is based on the famous Quake map Aerowalk but it's not an exact copy. First intention was to not release it but after playing a few rounds I think it's quite fun.
Aesthetically it's nothing special, only a few standard texture and no mapmodels. I tried to add some stuff but it destroyed the feelings that come from the monotone look and simplicity.
The map is not finished though. Lighting could be improved to have an even greater effect on gameplay and some polishing here and there may be necessary. I'm open to suggestions.

Note: This map is very dark and may be unplayable in daylight. If possible I recommend playing against a human, human feelings are part of what makes it fun to play.

Screenshots:
nightwalk1dfub4.jpgnightwalk2dxuba.jpgnightwalk31huru.jpg

Download (Requires SVN build)
License: CC-BY-SA 4.0

#2 2015-02-27 14:01:26

chasester1

Re: [Duel] Nightwalk

hey i messed around with your concept a little, definately far from finished, I assumed you where probably wanting to go with something with a lil more depth in lighting.

To Do:
texturing (fix/redo large areas)
detailing (add more back map, and models and fine details to walls and outside corners of map)
playerstarts (I changed them temporary they may need fixed again just kinda went crazy)

Things I changed:
added more flow to the map by including new areas
added a teleport between the two sides of the map (laterally)
changed the vertical teleport to teledest where it teleports.
added another snipers purch on far middle of map
Opened a dead end and made it link into the flow of the map
added a quick way from the 1st to 2nd level of map.
changed the texturing
lengthened stair cases to make it easier to climb
changed large stair case from one long to a split level.
added windows and opening to allow for dropping down from levels mainly from 3rd level stair case to 2nd to first level stair split
changed player starts
added back map.
added some details.
changed texturing theme (got rid of some of the putrid miss used textures)

Things you probably shouldnt touch too much:
lighting - tried to keep your dark deep shadowed map, there is a 0 ambient so all light is either coming from the skylight, sunlight or a physical light ent on the map. This creates some intense shadowing, similar to your original. You may need to turn up your gamma, my montier is abnormally bright even on default settings it seems. If it is too dark, do not add ambient this will ruin your effect, rather just increass the radius of the major lights (lights with 100 + radius)

enviroment - Although you could play with this for your style of map and the generalized theme I felt that a dark sky and dark could fit best, as you can tell by the particles i did make it look like it was raining, You could inhance this or eliminate it, I dont think it matters.

I would suggest changing your long linnear walls into rooms, either patruding out into the map, or moving away from it, this will break of the long tall ceiling you have, which make your map very noob looking (like a giant box), adding details like that on complex, small office like spaces, could increase the appeal of your map.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkesUwPLeR8e

file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/644b2 … walk_c.zip

chasester

Last edited by chasester1 (2015-02-27 15:06:33)

#3 2015-03-01 19:46:19

Hiradur

Only thing I hoped to achieve with this upload was to inspire a dark indoor map making heavy use of dynamic lighting and allowing people to have some fun playing on it. I didn't expect such an answer!

Yes, it's certainly not finished. Although I like the simplicity and cubic look the original map has which is somewhat comparable to oldskool shooters. Nevertheless you've done a great job at improving it. I played a short game on it and I really enjoyed how you kept the original touch while making it more interesting both in visuals and gameplay. There are only two things which I don't like: The teleporter's don't look as impressive as before lightingwise. I also it's too easy to fall down here by accident:
2015-03-01_20.25.58_n89pvt.jpg
I think the smaller hole should be closed and maybe the bigger one whould be moved a little bit out of the way.

I noticed gameplay is much more enjoyable with more than 1 enemy now which is a good thing, too.

@long linear walls: Adding some background scenery would be great. Not sure if the map should grow much in terms of accessible areas anymore though. Speaking of background scenery I love the rain!

BTW: It wasn't too dark on my monitor and my monitor is calibrated. It's very dark in some corners but I like it and it should not be artificially lit up as it is in so many other games.

I'm leaving for vacation for 3 weeks tomorrow and probably won't be working on the map. Feel free to further improve it. I like your style and how you keep it close to the original idea. Any other contributor is welcome as well!

#4 2015-03-02 03:36:14

chasester1

Thanx,
I agree with the holes i realized that i made it in the middle after i had drew out the generalize physics hole (the spot where that pole would have fallen relistically, its also a pain to climb (need serious cliping) I like the idea of adding in the area but you are correct it does break the flow a lil, I may look into how to make it fit better on the map. The other hole was an accident, when i was adding breakage detailing, I didnt think you would be able to fall thro, probably just clip it over, or move it to the corner where you can drop down behind people below.

The accessible area shouldnt be improved, I agree, but of course you have plenty of tris to waste on back map, I was thinking a restroom on that wall between the two holes and the purple lights, some doors and some drinking fountaints out side with restroom signs, posibably with one proped open with a mop bucket or something. (add some dept). And then add a slight out cropping with a office of some sorts above on that side (large windows, similar to complex). Shortening the walls makes the map look better, plus it look far more realistic.

chasester

I probably wont touch it, but if i do i will show you what i do :0
Ps: I was trying to be able to add more protected player starts that's why the teleports are so far into the wall, it was just a quick game play hack, adding a teleport machine or something like that would be an interesting detail.

Board footer