#1 2014-05-16 11:46:55

Spawnferkel

Rail or Plasma, what do you like better?

Rail or Plasma, what do you like better?

I like rail better. It's fun to shoot with the plasma, but there are two points that I don't like:

- It's best to aim at the enemy's feet because of the splash damage. So people tend to jump around to avoid the splash. I don't want to jump around all the time for an advantage. With rail jumping is bad because it makes your movement predictable.

- High ground is a big advantage. For example the pillars on test_ctf. From there you can plasma the spawn points, but you're very hard to hit. With rail you have to aim more precisely to spawn kill, and because of the nearly hitscan you're easier to be shot off the pillar.

Rail is cool, feels a bit like star wars together with the ragdolls. I hit nothing with that rifle in Sauer because it is not hitscan. Here the rail feels like hitscan, but it's still possible to mutually kill each other.

#2 2014-05-16 14:00:50

Hypernova^

Re: Rail or Plasma, what do you like better?

My favorite mode is coop edit, because it's the only mode where you have both weapons. I don't really have a favorite weapon, just use them for different situations. It's harder for me to hit in Tesseract than Sauerbraten because it feels like my mouse has some acceleration or something I can't get rid of.

BTW, the rifle in Sauerbraten is hitscan in the same way as Tesseract's as far as I can tell from the code.

Last edited by Hypernova^ (2014-05-16 14:07:10)

#3 2014-05-16 15:53:42

Spawnferkel

Hypernova^ wrote:

BTW, the rifle in Sauerbraten is hitscan in the same way as Tesseract's as far as I can tell from the code.

Strange. Maybe the movement in Sauer is a bit faster and my aim is just too bad to hit. Or maybe all the 1337 players play Sauer and only the Noobs play Tess ;)

#4 2014-05-16 16:50:14

Hypernova^

Sauerbraten's physics are different than Tesseract's, in Sauerbraten moving in the air or moving without strafing gives you a cumulative 30% speed boost. Just takes a little aim adjustment to play well. I can't seem to hit well at all in Tesseract, even though my aim is quite good in Sauer.

Last edited by Hypernova^ (2014-05-16 21:02:10)

#5 2014-05-17 12:42:17

Calinou

Don't forget, you can crouch with Shift, which prevents knockback when firing (once you are fully crouched). It also raises your legs if done in air, which permits reaching higher places.

#6 2014-05-17 18:34:37

Teh_Bucket

The movement differences are very interesting. I prefer pulse rifle, it's just too darn fun, and adds a lot to the gameplay. Yes, you are more vulnerable when you are on the ground, and have an advantage when above your opponent. These make your decisions in-game even more important. I also just love the feel of delayed hit firing, when you predict where they'll be and manage to hit them from something of a distance it feels awesome. Firing point blank kills you, so melee is useful. Even in railgun-style insta, predicting your opponents path can mean death for them in terms of aiming, but it is especially big part of the game in this sort-of rocket type of gameplay. Oh, and them jumping helps predict where they're going, I'm trying to get in the habit of waiting to fire till they're almost at the ground. I've played plenty of rifle instagib so I'm more interested in pulse.

#7 2014-05-17 19:03:25

Spawnferkel

Calinou wrote:

Don't forget, you can crouch with Shift, which prevents knockback when firing (once you are fully crouched). It also raises your legs if done in air, which permits reaching higher places.

Halflife 1 style crouch jumps? That was always a pain in the neck. :/

@The_Bucket: Good points. It looks like plasma is more popular at the moment on the servers. It's a new style of play for me, maybe I like it more when I get used to it.

Board footer