#1 2015-01-05 01:53:17

MeeeM

Mapping Questions

Hi! i have been mapping for a while now, but i have a couple of questions.

A: How can i rotate the skybox?

B: is there a way to color the light coming from the sky?

C: Is there any good way to create snow?

D: Is there a list of known particles?

E: How can i create decals, like the words "LOADING BAY" over the gates in Complex?

F: Can i create weather effects, like rain/snowflakes?

G: How to waterfall?

H: Is this game dead? i rarely see players.

I:Best way to make dirt?

Thanks in advance! if i come up with any more questions, i will put them in.

Last edited by MeeeM (2015-01-05 02:23:37)

#2 2015-01-05 10:05:26

spikeymikey0196

Re: Mapping Questions

D.) I'm not sure what exact particles there are but there are quite a few different variations, as tedious as this sounds.. just create and click on a particle node then hold 1 and scroll to go through each individual one.. this will also help to answer F.. you make snow and rain effects this way.
Click on a particle node and press 9 and then type this in for an example:

13 344 50 0xFFFF 30000

E.) To create a decal, you need to create an image that has transparency in it (this will be your diffuse layer and will be what you see color wise in game), then create a normal map for it (optional but it adds effect.. i recommend using quixel.. but if you cant use that then use NJOB) and then finally make a specular map (again, not necessary but it does make a huge difference).. then go into notepad and type this:

setshader bumpspecmapdecal
   texture decal ".../decal.png"
   texture n ".../decal_normal.png"
   texture s ".../decal_specular.png"

Then save it as a .cfg file, then put it into the desired map (assuming you know how to do that).

G.) To make a waterfall, you simply make a water block and the sides of the block is the waterfall.. unfortunately, you cant alter the water like you can with ordinary blocks, but fingers crossed that will be added soon.

H.) Servers arent up and running like sauerbratens servers are, but you can connect to anothers game through direct ip.. im sure someone will be as kind as to post a link for me on how to do that.

I.) I have some textures you may want to check out that you can use here: http://tesseract.gg/forum/viewtopic.php?id=202
but if you wish to create your own, i advise making a diffuse, a normal map and a specular map (but you may want to create a height map also, for when parallax mapping gets improved or if you're going to use it on a different medium that has parallax mapping). a tutorial is available somewhere on the internet.

Sorry if this isnt as in-depth as you were expecting, but i cant be bothered to type paragraphs any bigger than that xD

#3 2015-01-05 11:56:10

RaZgRiZ

MeeeM wrote:

Hi! i have been mapping for a while now, but i have a couple of questions.

A: How can i rotate the skybox?

B: is there a way to color the light coming from the sky?

C: Is there any good way to create snow?

D: Is there a list of known particles?

E: How can i create decals, like the words "LOADING BAY" over the gates in Complex?

F: Can i create weather effects, like rain/snowflakes?

G: How to waterfall?

H: Is this game dead? i rarely see players.

I:Best way to make dirt?

Thanks in advance! if i come up with any more questions, i will put them in.

A: use the 'yawsky' command. Range is 0..360 degrees.
B: you're a little vague on this, since there's 'ambient', 'skylight' and 'sunlight'.
C: there's a snow particle but don't expect it to do any collision with the geometry.
D: not really, the particle system has always been a mess, so just experiment with the parameters, especially the second one ;)
E: spikeymikey0196 already answered that one
F: if you spam enough particles.. but as i said before, no collision, and they will look like crap.
G: place water material, it's sides are considered waterfall, but it will always be blocky and look awful for use in a map as a true waterfall.
H: depends on if you are playing release or SVN, but in either case people usually map privately
I: if you're talking about texture creation, i could suggest FilterForge :P

#4 2015-01-05 22:24:40

MeeeM

RaZgRiZ wrote:

H: depends on if you are playing release or SVN, but in either case people usually map privately

realease or SVN? where can i get both, how do i figure out wich one i have, and wheree can i get both?

Also, if i put in the custom textures linked, will people who play my map have to download it to, along with decals?
Also, thanks to everybody for all the answers.

#5 2015-01-06 10:20:45

spikeymikey0196

MeeeM wrote:

Also, if i put in the custom textures linked, will people who play my map have to download it to, along with decals?

As far as i know, yes they will.. and even if they dont, all geometry will be the same to them just it'd have a different texture allocated.
But if you are to map with someone and use the textures, you would probably want to link them to the textures first before actually creating any maps :3

Last edited by spikeymikey0196 (2015-01-06 10:23:35)

#6 2015-01-06 15:08:02

RaZgRiZ

MeeeM wrote:
RaZgRiZ wrote:

realease or SVN? where can i get both, how do i figure out wich one i have, and wheree can i get both?

SVN is newer, gets regular updates (sort of) since it's basically the development line. Release on the other hand is quite outdated and making any sort of map on it will be trouble porting it to the next release due to outdated content.

To get the SVN you'll need an SVN client. It's gonna be a little hard to explain in simple instructions to how get it but i'll try if you still want to go ahead :P

If you use custom content in your map, people will still be able to play it but if you don't link them to the extra content they need to install they will get errors for anything non-default that you used.

#7 2015-01-06 21:17:07

MeeeM

RaZgRiZ wrote:
MeeeM wrote:
RaZgRiZ wrote:

release or SVN? where can i get both, how do i figure out wich one i have, and wheree can i get both?

SVN is newer, gets regular updates (sort of) since it's basically the development line. Release on the other hand is quite outdated and making any sort of map on it will be trouble porting it to the next release due to outdated content.

To get the SVN you'll need an SVN client. It's gonna be a little hard to explain in simple instructions to how get it but i'll try if you still want to go ahead :P

If you use custom content in your map, people will still be able to play it but if you don't link them to the extra content they need to install they will get errors for anything non-default that you used.

Well shit. there still is a way to port maps, right? cause i have too many back here. Also, when i click on Public SVN, it does not take me anywhere. i try to open it in a new link, but it just gives me this address that doesn't work: svn://svn.tuxfamily.org/svnroot/tesseract/main

Last edited by MeeeM (2015-01-06 21:22:43)

#8 2015-01-07 03:04:36

Pritchard

The fastest way to get a copy of the SVN on windows is to download one of the nightly builds from here. On other platforms you'll have to build it yourself.

Additionally, maps built in the public release version of Tesseract are compatible with the newer versions and will load, as far as I'm aware. This may change in the future however.

#9 2015-01-07 08:40:33

RaZgRiZ

MeeeM wrote:

Well shit. there still is a way to port maps, right? cause i have too many back here. Also, when i click on Public SVN, it does not take me anywhere. i try to open it in a new link, but it just gives me this address that doesn't work: svn://svn.tuxfamily.org/svnroot/tesseract/main

That is the SVN link used to check out the project to a folder on your computer, but you need a client for that. Some people prefer TortoiseSVN but i prefer the one with the GUI called SmartSVN :P

Board footer