#1 2014-12-23 07:35:32

greeniekin

Voice Chat

Every modern game has had voice chat for a while. So I decided to hack it in to tesseract.

My implementation seems to work well on my home network.
I used Opus to compress the voice information which worked really well.

Though unfortunately SDL has nothing for recording audio.
Since this was a quick hack I used SFML-audio.
For both recording and playback of audio.

I really like sfml more than sdl, but I know that is a change you will not make.

So I was wondering what combination of libraries would be eligible for the main branch.

libopus - i think is a must have

openal - It allows recording and 3d sound.

sfml-audio - really nice oop library uses openal though so it is not absolutely needed.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

#2 2014-12-23 08:55:49

ThaOneDon

Re: Voice Chat

Theres also YSE
http://attr-x.net/yse/

#3 2014-12-23 13:41:58

greeniekin

it does not look like YSE has any recording capabilities. Which is what I really need.

#4 2014-12-25 07:28:02

ThaOneDon

Well theres PortAudio, not many libraries around that specifically support recording...
http://www.portaudio.com

#5 2014-12-25 14:15:41

greeniekin

Well both openal and sfml-audio(through openal) support recording and playback of audio streams. PortAudio looks impressive as well. Especially real-time effects for instruments etc.

I may be speaking too soon. Though I have a feeling voice chat is of no interest to this community. It may have been a bad sample on the tesseract irc channel but I get the idea this is just meant to be a modern renderer and that's the bounds of the project. Not progressing the engine with any features(messy I get it).

I was looking forward to cleaning up my hack and getting something I made in to the main branch. because that sounds really neat.

Last edited by greeniekin (2014-12-26 01:52:42)

#6 2014-12-28 16:39:28

Calinou

Voice chat can be better done using external software like Mumble.

#7 2014-12-29 01:43:23

greeniekin

I don't really think software like mumble is a reason not to have in game voice chat. Saying this project is just to make a modern renderer makes much more sense.

As pretty much every game for about a decade has had voice chat. I've never used mumble and mumble would not work for me because in many games like counter strike and day of defeat source your playing with people you do not know and do not have mumble, and rightly so considering there is great in game voice chat.

Also someone in irc also said voice chat is only for consoles which I also think is a really bad point because I've never owned a console and thinking of no chat on pc just takes me back to playing quakworld which has been around since 1996.

Edit: also I used the opus codec which mumble uses. While I know it is far from all features I managed to get voice chat in tesseract working in 1 day.

Last edited by greeniekin (2014-12-29 01:49:22)

#8 2014-12-29 06:17:28

Derpgoose

@greeniekin. I am by no means a coder, but will share my observations. OpenAL might be the best choice as it is already used in some AAA titles for over a decade and plays well with SDL. Maybe take a look at Valve's new Source engine with SDL, I think they also used OpenAL. iDtech has also switched to more open ource libraries, especially when they changed the engine for Doom 3 BFG's source.

Board footer