#1 2014-12-21 03:22:08

shweet

Improving FPS on low end machines

I have a ThinkPad with first generation Intel HD Graphics. I'm unable to crack the 5fps mark in Tesseract, though I get 100-200 in Sauerbraten.

Obviously Tesseract has a completely new rendering pipeline, but is it possible to disable some of the shaders/rendering effects that bring the FPS so low? Not necessarily anything as extreme as Sauerbraten's fixed shader mode, but just disabling HDR/bloom, stuff like that?

Sneaking this thing into the mid 20s/30s FPS would make mapping usable.

#2 2014-12-21 03:38:18

ThaOneDon

Re: Improving FPS on low end machines

Did you try turning down settings like SSAO and Anti-Aliasing?

Basicly turn down settings until fps is acceptable.

#3 2014-12-21 06:03:54

shweet

Yeah SSAO and AA are all off. Everything I can toggle from the GUI menus are turned off. Res set to 800x480.

I can't turn off the HDR/bloom though with the same commands that worked in Sauerbraten, nor does forcing no shaders with -f work like it did in Sauer. If the shaders were toggleable, it might work on older iGPUs.

#4 2014-12-21 10:26:36

RaZgRiZ

I'm afraid your thinkpad is just too underpowered. It's kinda like trying to run Far Cry on it.

#5 2014-12-21 12:05:11

shweet

Haha actually Far Cry would run fine on it. I think the joke is supposed to be about Crysis 1 "but does it run Crysis" etc.

The ThinkPad has a weak iGPU but by the same token Sauerbraten runs ridiculously well. I will put it down to Tesseract being a very young fork, hopefully it becomes more scalable as time goes on. As a starting point, being able to turn off some of the shader effects (or even all of them) would help immensely, especially for anyone using the open source Intel drivers on even newer iGPUs.

#6 2014-12-21 14:54:12

RaZgRiZ

shweet wrote:

Haha actually Far Cry would run fine on it. I think the joke is supposed to be about Crysis 1 "but does it run Crysis" etc.

The ThinkPad has a weak iGPU but by the same token Sauerbraten runs ridiculously well. I will put it down to Tesseract being a very young fork, hopefully it becomes more scalable as time goes on. As a starting point, being able to turn off some of the shader effects (or even all of them) would help immensely, especially for anyone using the open source Intel drivers on even newer iGPUs.

Well if you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty, you can look into the options' UI vars and see if any of them go lower than the low :P

Other than that you would have to dive in the source and see if there's any setting that may be turned even lower that is not a part of the options, but that's the extreme case.

#7 2014-12-21 17:56:42

ThaOneDon

Can you find out what graphics chip you have? It could be as simple as it not supporting some features of OpenGL 2.1+.

#8 2014-12-21 21:25:14

shweet

First generation Intel HD Graphics. Supports OpenGL 2.1: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-033757.htm

RaZgRiZ wrote:

Well if you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty, you can look into the options' UI vars and see if any of them go lower than the low :P

Yeah did that already, toned down the bloom and HDR but couldn't find a way to disable them entirely. I'll have a look through the source I guess.

#9 2014-12-21 21:36:14

eihrul
Administrator

Too old IGP. It's never going to run Tess well.

Board footer