#1 2014-10-12 19:37:44

spikeymikey0196

Slight alterations to Textures

I'm just going to post a bunch of stuff that I've done, which changes the aesthetic look of Tesseract through textures, so just keep watching below as I will continuously update the list :3

Water Normals & Caustics

This includes more Ocean-like water normals.
The default normal map will be the strongest, but if you feel that the waves would look better softer, you just need to rename the one you want to "Water normal" (which can be done by removing any number from it, providing you rename the default one something else so it doesn't get overwritten).
flw2wor5vvrlcqbfg.jpg
s7hrho6vc41e4fafg.jpg
ao5crj43qed4mgdfg.jpg

Download link
http://adf.ly/1EywKH

Extra Textures

This is a bunch of textures I have made, some are from platinum arts sandbox which i have altered to look better :3
textures_by_spikeymikey0196-d86d146.png

Download Link
http://adf.ly/1Eyw6w

Last edited by spikeymikey0196 (2015-04-15 12:49:12)

#2 2014-10-13 03:17:50

RaZgRiZ

Re: Slight alterations to Textures

+1 to this.

#3 2014-10-13 05:51:25

spikeymikey0196

RaZgRiZ wrote:

+1 to this.

Haha Thank you :3

#4 2014-10-13 17:55:44

ThaOneDon

It so friggin high quality.... dayum

Last edited by ThaOneDon (2014-10-13 17:55:52)

#5 2014-10-13 23:24:10

spikeymikey0196

ThaOneDon wrote:

It so friggin high quality.... dayum

I'm working on more high quality caustics also, which i'll add to the water normals zip file :3 i'm just working on the water textures mainly.. Then i'll move onto better default textures for things like grass and stuff, as the low quality images are killing me to look at xD

#6 2014-11-12 12:21:39

spikeymikey0196

Update 2 - Added Textures and Particles.

#7 2014-12-07 01:58:48

spikeymikey0196

Quick question, is  there any way i can make the blood stain to use a mask/specular map to make it shine realistically, so it uses the envmap? Im just curious because i feel that it would bring a sense of realism to the game :3

#8 2014-12-07 13:48:55

RaZgRiZ

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

Quick question, is  there any way i can make the blood stain to use a mask/specular map to make it shine realistically, so it uses the envmap? Im just curious because i feel that it would bring a sense of realism to the game :3

Inbefore glowing radioactive cyborg blood.

#9 2014-12-07 15:22:17

spikeymikey0196

oh, is it already in there? xD how do i do it? :3

#10 2015-04-15 03:21:37

spikeymikey0196

What color do i use to make something a fully reflective env mapped surface? kinda like the sights on the rifle.. like in terms of 255, 255, 255.. just so i can alter textures and stuff accordingly :3

#11 2015-04-18 21:16:07

chasester1

on a texture you would use a env map but this would require putting envmap (cube map) entities in your world and reloading your map like you have to do with glass.

so just type /newent envmap   place it some were in your world where most of the wall are exposed, say the middle of every room.

What this entity does is takes 8 screen shot of your world (on the load of the map) and then uses that as the overlay texture (its called a cube map because the pictures form a cube)(cubemaps). For the actual way to set it up, it depends if its a model or a texture.

on a model:
Im gonna assume you are using md5 model format if not it should be your model type followed by the command. ex: iqmskin or md3skin, note some model formats dont suport all commands (see for more details)

md5envmap first you must define you are using a envmap and what data to pull, you want to just leave it blank cuz you want to use the world data not a sky map (read link for more details)

md5skin then you want to define a skin like normal but you want to define a mask (read link m and e are what you want to define, e should be 1.0 or 0.9 so that it has the most reflectivity)
when defining a mask the rgb values of the mask texture stand for different things
r = spec
g = glow
b = not defined generally people just ignore this layer
You can use your channels editor in gimp/photoshop to play with the r g b layers seperately so you can simply create it from your diffused texture (your base color texture).
If you dont wish to use a mask replace it with * and then you can define

md5spec MESH S
md5glow MESH G
This sets a value for an entire mesh (if you only have one mesh then put * for MESH [this is for any case where it says MESH as a define] this is here for different values for different meshes in one model. Something not worth going into at this point.)

on a texture:
your would define like so:
setshader bumpenvworld
//shaders are like a set of instructions, we could define about 3 or 4 different shaders here to allow for envmaping, but this one is the most basic.
texture 0 "location/name.format" //like "textures/notexture.png"
texture n "location/name_normals.format // for your normal layer
texture e "location/name_envmap.format // define this only if you want to override the cubemaps

You could also define a specular  but you would have to change the shader or it would not be used, so like bumpspecenvworld. The simplest way to understand this is just using someone else's texture config and then modifying this and seeing what happens so:

setshader envworld; // cuz we just wanna do the envmaping
setshaderparam "envscale" 1.0 1.0 1.0; 
//this shader takes in a variable (parameter) envscale, this is similar to E on the model end we set the RGB values to 1.0 cuz we want the most reflective surface;
setshaderparam "specscale 0.0 0.0 0.0;
//we want to turn off the "shininess of this object cuz its gonna mess things up, if you are looking to do a chrome then you may have to add a lil spec, like 0.2;
texture 0 "nieb/complex/glass_spec.png" // this is just a white texture so we will use it
//normally you would put your texture here, something like a mid tone may render better like 180 180 180

Now we just add a envmap into the world in the center of your room, savemap, loadmap and boom.

If you wanna just do this quickly
load a new map create a small room, type /newent envmap; place in the center of the room about player height. create a cube in one of the corners of the room. type /savemap name; type /map name; type /setshader envworld; setshaderparam "envscale" 1.0 1.0 1.0; setshaderparam "specscale 0.0 0.0 0.0; texture 0 "nieb/complex/glass_spec.png"; Then press F2 scroll down to the last texture and set it to one of the faces of the cube; press e; and then e again and it should look like this

chasester

Last edited by chasester1 (2015-04-18 21:16:40)

#12 2015-04-19 15:42:03

spikeymikey0196

chasester1 wrote:

on a texture you would use a env map but this would require putting envmap (cube map) entities in your world and reloading your map like you have to do with glass.

so just type /newent envmap   place it some were in your world where most of the wall are exposed, say the middle of every room.

What this entity does is takes 8 screen shot of your world (on the load of the map) and then uses that as the overlay texture (its called a cube map because the pictures form a cube)(cubemaps). For the actual way to set it up, it depends if its a model or a texture.

on a model:
Im gonna assume you are using md5 model format if not it should be your model type followed by the command. ex: iqmskin or md3skin, note some model formats dont suport all commands (see for more details)

md5envmap first you must define you are using a envmap and what data to pull, you want to just leave it blank cuz you want to use the world data not a sky map (read link for more details)

md5skin then you want to define a skin like normal but you want to define a mask (read link m and e are what you want to define, e should be 1.0 or 0.9 so that it has the most reflectivity)
when defining a mask the rgb values of the mask texture stand for different things
r = spec
g = glow
You can use your channels editor in gimp/photoshop to play with the r g b layers seperately so you can simply create it from your diffused texture (your base color texture).
If you dont wish to use a mask replace it with * and then you can define

md5spec MESH S
md5glow MESH G
This sets a value for an entire mesh (if you only have one mesh then put * for MESH [this is for any case where it says MESH as a define] this is here for different values for different meshes in one model. Something not worth going into at this point.)

on a texture:
your would define like so:
setshader bumpenvworld
//shaders are like a set of instructions, we could define about 3 or 4 different shaders here to allow for envmaping, but this one is the most basic.
texture 0 "location/name.format" //like "textures/notexture.png"
texture n "location/name_normals.format // for your normal layer
texture e "location/name_envmap.format // define this only if you want to override the cubemaps

You could also define a specular  but you would have to change the shader or it would not be used, so like bumpspecenvworld. The simplest way to understand this is just using someone else's texture config and then modifying this and seeing what happens so:

setshader envworld; // cuz we just wanna do the envmaping
setshaderparam "envscale" 1.0 1.0 1.0; 
//this shader takes in a variable (parameter) envscale, this is similar to E on the model end we set the RGB values to 1.0 cuz we want the most reflective surface;
setshaderparam "specscale 0.0 0.0 0.0;
//we want to turn off the "shininess of this object cuz its gonna mess things up, if you are looking to do a chrome then you may have to add a lil spec, like 0.2;
texture 0 "nieb/complex/glass_spec.png" // this is just a white texture so we will use it
//normally you would put your texture here, something like a mid tone may render better like 180 180 180

Now we just add a envmap into the world in the center of your room, savemap, loadmap and boom.

If you wanna just do this quickly
load a new map create a small room, type /newent envmap; place in the center of the room about player height. create a cube in one of the corners of the room. type /savemap name; type /map name; type /setshader envworld; setshaderparam "envscale" 1.0 1.0 1.0; setshaderparam "specscale 0.0 0.0 0.0; texture 0 "nieb/complex/glass_spec.png"; Then press F2 scroll down to the last texture and set it to one of the faces of the cube; press e; and then e again and it should look like this

chasester

I knew all that xD that wasnt what i was asking.. i mean in terms of editing or creating the texture itself, what color is required to make the surface have envmaps.. like is it 255,0,255 in terms of rgb in photoshop or what.. i hope someone understands what i mean..

#13 2015-04-20 01:19:37

chasester1

chasester1 wrote:

on a model:
r = spec
g = glow

chasester

Im sorrie i was wrong for some reason the md5skin function in the docs says nothing about blue value but if you go into the common commands you see that:
b = envmap scale of an object. So in terms of a model, if you do this it should work.

md5skin * "difussed.png" "mask.png"
mdlenvmap 1.0 0.0 //here

so mdlenvmap e f
were as e is the max intensity (so the b value = 255 on a pixel of the mask) and f is the min (so b value = 0).

IDK why we cant have well written documentation

chasester

PS: this is not possible on a texture, at least from what i can tell

@edit
you could rewrite the shaders to simply allow the "spec layer" (s) be a mask layer (like it is for models) where as r = spec g = glow b = envmap; then use the envscale as the cap value of any particular pixel. This would be no more then modifing the correct config file (config/glsl/world.cfg)

Then to follow sytex that is already in place e would be the varible for the MAX value of the envmap and E would be the map its self

so just defining a new worldshader "envmapworld" "eE" and of course defining all sub types like bumpenvmapworld and bumpspecenvmapworld etc.

And then just writing the short amount of shader code. But ya.

chasester

Last edited by chasester1 (2015-04-20 01:32:04)

Board footer