#1 2014-05-01 18:44:08

RaZgRiZ

[MOD] Alternate UI

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Story

Tesseract's UI begun as something raunchy and quick, a thing meant to exist until something better came along. I started working on that something better, making slow progress in recording the abilities of the UI and replacing the existing menu elements with better looking and working alternatives. Eventually it was successful and work begun in a variety of menus. Opinions were heard occasionally and eventually this UI alteration was deemed worthy enough to be included in the main game. However my control over it was minimal at best, and after a few times of having changes i did not approve of done to it without even being told, i decided it would be best to abandon ship and continue development on my own once more. It has come a long way since then.

Abilities

This Alternate UI can be very customizable right out of the box. It follows a style config, much like a .css file which holds all the important variables regarding its looks: main colors, gradients, button styles, you name it. Of course that which it holds are tightly tuned to the default style, so some assembly required if one wishes to deviate from the defaults.

• Customizability

• Flexibility

• Modularity

Notes, Links

The Alternate UI is more than just a new take on the menus, it's a whole uplifting process of more configs that imagined and attempts to take a different approach to how things work.
For example, the default key binds are different. The left Ctrl key now acts as a switch to allow for more edit controls, some of which moved around while others were redone.
As a result of this, the materials menu is no longer a normal window that one selects materials from. Instead you hold down M and press 0-9 to apply a material to your selection; pressing the number for glass, water or lava again will cycle through the 4 available, while pressing Ctrl+M will toggle showmat.
Likewise, Ctrl+L toggles fullbright, while K is now remip and L is now calclight & recalc. There are more changes but i won't talk about those just yet.

This whole project is constantly in a state of flux so changes will happen and opinions will be mostly heard regarding its development. It's meant to be something new and intuitive that a user will enjoy using. That means that there are parts that are incomplete, inoperable, missing, or direct (but fixed) ports from the default menus to fill in the gaps.

Screenshots can be found here sorted by month
Latest version: 3-11-2014

+---------- Changelog -----------------+

Removed redundant code in the bindings UI and prevented testing echo spam
    Removed server name and map name filter fields from servers UI until fields suck less
    Redesigned dialogs for game quit and graphics changes
    Slight adjustments to code responsible for icon display
    Various fixes in other files you don't care about
    New color conversion library that will be used in the future

+-----------------------------------------+

THIS IS A MOD, AND THUS NEEDS TO BE TREATED AS SUCH. IT WILL NOT RUN ALONG THE DEFAULT MENUS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. CLEAR YOUR saved.cfg BEFORE USING IT TO AVOID CONFLICTS.

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2014-11-03 03:02:53)

#2 2014-05-21 21:43:07

RaZgRiZ

Re: [MOD] Alternate UI

Updated. Minor fixes and touchups, common.cfg added.

Nothing major here, just maintenance. Will likely add a changes list sometime in the future.

Bug: it thinks the LCTRL key is pressed at first start when it isn't. Press it once to correct that for now.
Bug: servers still autosort when hovering over them, will fix that soon.

Last edited by RaZgRiZ (2014-05-22 00:21:01)

#3 2014-05-22 09:36:41

Calinou

RaZgRiZ wrote:

This happens in vanilla UI too, because you can aim “between” the servers (which will enable sorting).

#4 2014-05-22 14:14:17

RaZgRiZ

Calinou wrote:
RaZgRiZ wrote:

This happens in vanilla UI too, because you can aim “between” the servers (which will enable sorting).

Lol, i don't care about vanilla. That problem did exist but it didn't in ALUI before. I was experimenting with defvarp and in the process i broke it so it doesn't work at all for now.

#5 2014-11-03 03:03:59

RaZgRiZ

Update out. It's been a while. I don't even know if anyone's using it, but here it is. Changelog for this update is in the OP, as for plans for the next update, hoping there will be better uifields so i can finally put a few things that rely on them in motion.

#6 2014-11-07 23:02:27

Hypernova^

This gui is really well done, the only thing I noticed is the rifle/rocket in the keybind reference instead of railgun/pulse rifle.
The new artwork fits well too.
Keep it up!

Last edited by Hypernova^ (2014-11-07 23:02:55)

#7 2014-11-07 23:44:11

RaZgRiZ

Hypernova^ wrote:

This gui is really well done, the only thing I noticed is the rifle/rocket in the keybind reference instead of railgun/pulse rifle.
The new artwork fits well too.
Keep it up!

You may want to ignore the keybinds reference. It's mostly incorrect. You will likely want to take a look at default.cfg until i work on the bindings ref. It's structured into key types for normal, edit and spec modes and it's pretty easy to get a grasp off. I have a few comments lying in there too.

#8 2015-01-19 19:03:37

RaZgRiZ

Updated with.. things. Sorry, i always forget to keep track of the changes, but i eliminated a few mistakes and performed some maintenance on bits of code here and there. Also, all keybinds defined in default.cfg can now be read for (iskeypressed KEY_HERE) state. This means UI specific binds are possible, but as of yet they don't override the defaults.

Board footer