#1 2014-05-14 10:33:38

DarkTiger

Suggestions and Feedbacks to Improve Tesseract:

Hi Tesseract Developers,
my name is Daniele and I am a fan of cube engine projects as Sauerbraten, Tesseract..
I love the cube engine dinamic map editing, it is very powerful and funny..

I would like to recommend some small improvements for Tesseract:

1) FPS MODE: if you can reduce the movement speed of the player, the game mode can be more realistic and funny;

2) FPS MODE: if you can add the "player step movement sound", game mode can be more funny too;

3) EDITING MODE: (complex) if you can add the objects physic (with gravity) the map editing will be perfect!

4) FUTURE MODE: (more complex) if you can add a new mode, where a player can destroy a map blocks by weapons fire or bomb explosion, with the objects physic it can be spectacular ;)

5) METAL MUSIC! Is Adrenalinic and Powerful! \m/
please introduce it \m/ ;)

Thanks for Tesseract! ;)
Good job!

-Daniele Franceschini-

Last edited by DarkTiger (2014-05-16 21:11:54)

#2 2014-05-14 21:17:01

Hypernova^

Re: Suggestions and Feedbacks to Improve Tesseract:

Hello Tess Devs,

If I may I would like to suggest a few tweaks in Tesseract:

1. Players using a modified map should at least be forced to spectator only. Some smart guys have been playing with hacked maps thus giving them a huge advantage :)

2. I would also appreciate server name-protection. Some people have been ripping off my name in-game and I can't get them to stop politely :D

I must say that Tesseract is pretty awesome for the short time it's been in development.
  Thanks for the game!

#3 2014-05-15 10:17:50

Calinou

I agree with forcing players to spectate (and allow unspectating on map change, if the new map is unmodified). Some Sauerbraten server mods already do this.

Name protection could be done by using the auth system: give auth accounts to active players, but with no particular privileges. Allows proving who you are. Red Eclipse does this already.

#4 2014-05-15 10:53:46

eihrul
Administrator

In SVN, both in Tess and Sauer, I made it so that so long as the server has the map locally to get the correct CRC from, it will force players into spectator mode by default if they have a modified map.

#5 2014-05-15 11:36:29

glennznl

I agree with slightly lower movement and added footstep sounds.

#6 2014-05-15 12:16:53

eihrul
Administrator

glennznl wrote:

I'm not going to use lower movement speed in an instagib oriented game. Then it just becomes a hide-and-seek fest. The speed is critical for evasion.

#7 2014-05-15 18:30:18

Calinou

What about jump height? It feels a bit strange to jump so high, sometimes. Gravity could be reduced slightly to compensate.

#8 2014-05-15 20:25:49

DarkTiger

eihrul wrote:
glennznl wrote:

I'm not going to use lower movement speed in an instagib oriented game. Then it just becomes a hide-and-seek fest. The speed is critical for evasion.

Only a bit, this i too frenetic.. In some Photo-Realistic maps it can be out of "theme" :-)

Last edited by DarkTiger (2014-05-16 07:34:16)

#9 2014-05-15 21:39:01

Pritchard

Changing movement properties for Tesseract is a bad idea, especially jump height. Doing so will break almost all of the maps that are currently in the game, although there aren't many.
In my opinion the movement speed shouldn't be changed either, especially not to be slower. Tesseract is a fast-paced arena shooter with instagib. It isn't about "photorealism" and looking pretty. If the movement speed was slowed down, the type of game that Tesseract is would change dramatically.
On the other hand, I do think there should be footstep sounds. Nothing particularly loud or anything like that, but they do provide another layer of depth to the game. Trying to figure out where an opponent is is part of the metagame that Tesseract and Sauerbraten have. Footsteps would help add to this.

#10 2014-05-16 21:08:42

DarkTiger

Please introduce the METAL MUSIC!
It Is Adrenalinic and Powerful! \m/

Last edited by DarkTiger (2014-05-16 21:09:04)

#11 2014-05-16 21:37:59

Manic

I would like to suggest a really awesome anti-cheat engine for Tesseract. This anti-cheat should detect speedhacking, teleport hacks, health hacks, ammo hacks, fly hacks, aimbots, wallhacks, and memory manipulations like dll injections. Cheaters are really annoying (First cheater that I have seen: http://tesseract.gg/forum/viewtopic.php?id=50)

#12 2014-05-17 12:39:02

Calinou

Easier to say than to do. Health hacks and ammo hacks? You only have 1 health and ammo is infinite. Both are server-side anyway.

I have yet to see a cheater in Tesseract. If you do so, join IRC (#tesseract @ irc.freenode.net) and ask for someone with auth to ban them.

#13 2014-07-16 07:08:45

Antiklimax

Hi all! I totally agree what DarkTiger say. In this game have so many potential, and a slower and half-realistic shooter can earn a lot of new gamers. Just search on the net! There is a lot of good "Quake style" game: Warsow; Open Arena; Alien Arena; World of Padman; Nexuiz; Xonotic; Sauerbraten :D; etc... And watch the player base and the servers. If the Tesseract developers want to make a game themselves, this is a good way ( sry )! This will be a very low player based game. At second now look some half-realistic shooter what fully free and not MMO. Hmm... Urban Terror maybe but that infulenced by Quake 3 :) ( bunny hopp ); True Combat - this is too realistic from some aspect and have a lot of incompatibility with new PCs; Overdose - under developement; I dont know more at this moment.
The greatest problems with the Cube 2 engine: If you are not a Linux user, who with closed eye can write in the terminal ( the linux god=TERMINAL :D ) so if you are a normal Windows gamer, and want to make your own dedicated server with server rent, you can't do it! Maybe you say for me, starting you server its very easy just start the server.bat. Ok and now? Incredible server settings with modes where a random player can be admin and kick you from your own server if you are not an expert Cube 2 user/admin, and set a bad server mode. For the normal "new" gamers, need a simple start server button with settings and not " search this cfg and write into this an that " an in-game server settings where the "noob" (sry) windows user can set his own server settings, and a large red Start button :D.
In all Cube 2 engine games have the world's best simple map editing tool! I don't see any game engine what can do better than Cube 2. But.. If you make your own map and want to share with other gamers, you need to go first in coop-edit, say for the gamers: hey! don't touch my map just type "getmap" lol this is not work.. So if there is the world's best map editing tool this is nothing, because you need to upload your new map and hope your map enough good for the developers and put that into the game. Why don't have simplest way to do this as in Assault Cube ( autogetmap ) if I start a server CTF mode with my own map, the clients get it automatically if that have not him. In all other multiplayer game servers this works, just here not in Cube 2. So the map editor, this great tool is totally unusable! You can make maps for yourself but this is a toy, nothing more. Get off from the game and you can't find cheaters with modified map, and grab some "pro" mappers for make official levels.
I don't want to hurt anybody! Specially the developers not! Just I want to tell MY OWN reason.
This is a great game! But if the devs. want to make a known, popular game, and not a game for themselves, with this quake style is not a good way. Im playing with fps/tps multiplayers about ~ 10 years, and offline about ~ 17 yrs. So I see what games coming up, and goes down fast.
Good luck for the developement, and don't be angry for me :D !

Last edited by Antiklimax (2014-07-16 07:09:37)

Board footer