#1 2014-10-12 21:59:56

zombie-apocalypse

Ideas & Thank you

Hi guise! =)
Here's some of my ideas for Tesseract!

• Animated wallclock shows (server)time

• Sunlight-path/-intensity/-hue reflect (server)time

• Opt-in (server)weather-setting sideloads RL weatherconditions to map (sun, clouds, rain, snow, thunderstorms, etc)

• New TV- or canvas-prop sideloads RL rss news- & stocktickers, weatherforecast, etc (if enabled)

• Opt-in usersettings allow above 4 to sideload either user-, server- or custom-location, time, news...

• Selected entity-side determins (R) rotation-direction (similar to cubes)

• Fireextinguisher should be full, single prop; its case/door another
      (same for signs etc, No half props could make for a more solid gameplay experience; more versatile)

• Change floatspeed-modifier to hold & scroll to multiply/divide floatspeed by 1.6 (or custom) (see lctrl ICM-code in Zombie-Menu))

• Alias-commands like /coop in addition to /edit or /gp to /gridpower; add legacy keymap-option in settings or F10 (consistency to Sauer)

• Make edit-info-panel (bottom-left) and game-menus color- & transparency-customizable (RGB-selector, 0-100%)

• Show cube-count and KB-mapsize in Panel, allow un/selecting display options

• Show author-/object name on mouseover/selection (like texture-paths)

• Apply a metadata-standard like XMP with more /fields to .ogz:  like authorname, date, contact, copyright, license, mappicture, map.cfg... all directly embedded into the map file

• Accept only acknowledged, permissive free software licenses for game media, to:

• Put up free & donate-versions at Windows-, Mac-, Ubuntu-...stores, Steam, etc

• Purge /getmap & /sendmap (only allow snapshots by masters): Server should be aware of all edits from the start (asking for /sendmap once on mapchange), all to join receive latest map automatically (opt-out for chatters?), everyone is on the same map at all times.

I love your path to realism, the high quality props, textures and the clean interface. The environment feels just right and amazing and once I've exerienced the volumetric light, water or just the constant light & shadow-play on the maps, I never wanted to miss it again. :D

Imo the game would be just destined for Reallife tie-ins like a changing sun-, weather- and news-system and could fully immerse the players into its environment. Atm it can still feel a little static. Maybe a destructible environment would be possible some day? Going bezerk and punching enemies through walls? throwing copymachines and hurtlockers at each others heads? :D Or maybe just simple physics for now: flying trash-cans losing garbage, cardboxes & papersheets sliding around everywhere...

What you created so far feels absolutely amazing, Tesseract will be epic! :D Please just consider keeping it free (permissive) to be able to get into all stores and thus expand the audience (+ receive even more content).
By putting more highlight on individual contributions, e.g. through metadata & ingame display more people could be willing to contribute. It's a shame there's not much audience atm. One reason may be the times we live in and that everything's moving towards stores, repos and letsplay-promo, but imo nothing that can't be fixed with a little tweaking and expanding. The game is beyond a shadow of a doubt to me.

So, thank you very much for all your hard work and this important work of gaming-history!

love, meow! =)

Last edited by zombie-apocalypse (2014-10-12 22:30:26)

#2 2014-10-13 06:04:07

almightybyron

Re: Ideas & Thank you

Wouldn't having a paid option would kind of defeat the point of free open source software?

#3 2014-10-13 17:53:05

ThaOneDon

Hmm donate version..... i think it should be identical just you would pay for it to support the project and still stay open source.

That way its choice if you dont want to pay for it or can't you can still get it.

Last edited by ThaOneDon (2014-10-13 17:56:44)

#4 2014-10-13 19:14:38

almightybyron

Also, zombie-apocalypse, I tried going on your GitHub account and I found this "freesauer" project; Sauerbraten is already FOSS and on the Ubuntu packages list, so I would say it is a bit redundant.

#5 2014-10-13 20:52:23

Calinou

almightybyron wrote:

Also, zombie-apocalypse, I tried going on your GitHub account and I found this "freesauer" project; Sauerbraten is already FOSS and on the Ubuntu packages list, so I would say it is a bit redundant.

zombie-apocalypse wanted to strip it from the most non-free art possible, while being able to play on Sauerbraten servers. There is a bare engine package available: http://packages.debian.org/cube2

But it's silly to only want to use permissively licensed stuff (it's the last of your concerns), not to mention nothing in your features list will be done unless you do it yourself.

Last edited by Calinou (2014-10-13 20:55:26)

#6 2014-10-19 22:55:10

zombie-apocalypse

almightybyron wrote:

Wouldn't having a paid option would kind of defeat the point of free open source software?

OsmAnd+

ThaOneDon wrote:

Hmm donate version..... i think it should be identical just you would pay for it to support the project and still stay open source.

OsmAnd

almightybyron wrote:

only sauers source code is (permissive) FOSS, a lot of the game media isn't. This is what blocks the game from getting into every store and hence, the audience it deserves.
Our goal was to relicense, the wiki explains everything we've researched so far. Please feel free to contribute to the pad!

Calinou wrote:

zombie-apocalypse wanted to strip it from the most non-free art possible,

A new sauer with all free content is not affiliated with us, but in the making as well!

Calinou wrote:

But it's silly to only want to use permissively licensed stuff.

Permissive, because we thought this would be most compatible to other licenses:
e.g. GPL vs CC-BY... incompatible with: source-code vs souce-code? but not source vs content? how about content vs content? This is very tricky, and no one seems to have done this kind of heavy multi-licensing before... We could use some insight there as well.
Another big reason, of course: the most precious part, the source code, is permissive.

A thought on CC0, as is most of Tesseracts content atm:
If you go into a shop and buy paint for a picture, the paint is yours. You paint your picture (map) and are legally able to display it without needing to credit the color-company or anyone, you use it any way you want, without giving it a second thought. And vice versa: Your paint on anothers canvas. Crediting dozens of different artists, unless they agreed to some universal "From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"-formula would be very tricky.
Now one may argue: who actually cares about stuff like this, millions of lets plays on YouTube and what not? But we live in a world full of laws and we are contributing to one of the coolest and most amazing art-projects there ever was. We could just do it a little like we always did things; don't put too much sweat into it, it's others fault for missing out on our skills, right? Or, we could give it a little more thought than usual, go new ways, create something lasting and of substance and get every individuals skill out there. Become the next Minecraft, that in fact always was, the very first Minecraft. =)

#7 2014-10-28 01:19:33

chasester1

I think more the problem why people dont play sauer is the gameplay. Many people dont like the style or the simplicity of the gameplay. This is according to many of my gamer friends that have played the game in the past, and where some what into it for a while. Game play has evolved since quake, and sauer offers nothing new in this aspect.

#8 2014-10-28 21:30:04

ThaOneDon

If were gonna evolve the gameplay it would be something similar to TOXIKK i assume.

Latest gameplay demos of that have been most interesting.

#9 2014-11-02 22:53:53

zombie-apocalypse

chasester1 wrote:

Game play has evolved since quake, and sauer offers nothing new in this aspect.

I think so too. Tess should expand itself into all sorts of ways we can mod, cubescript and come up with.
Extensibility of a genuine free game, where you personally can be part of the release and your skill promoted throughout every store and repo out there, would be something new!

Unreal Enginge 4 e.g. went new ways and for $19/month provides open, but EULA-restricted source-code and will surely spawn a lot of competitors. The technology naturally will be superior, but all of these games will never be able to provide the heart and soul a truly unique, worldwide, peace-and-pulse-rifle-loving open source community can! :D

ThaOneDon wrote:

If were gonna evolve the gameplay it would be something similar to TOXIKK i assume.
Latest gameplay demos of that have been most interesting.

Toxikk for example, while looking nice and at an ok price of 15€ a license on steam (or 11,25€ in 4x bundle), has no coop-editing, follows the same old nice but narrow ut2004/quake/UT3, UT2014?-formula, but offers no big trickjumping (REFLEX does this better imo (also from scratch + multi-edit)), registered players have to apply for dev-SDK for modelling, mapping etc (will become Unreal-4-standard, I guess), and as one of the biggest and most important differences of all, imo:

You can't actually "own" the game! You're just granted to use it while logged into steam. =)

Board footer