#1 2014-05-17 11:57:37

NoHero

Lag/FPS issue

What im running:
Win. Vista
GPU Geforce 9500 GT
First Edition release

Bug:
I often get these intense periods while playing where FPS and Connection becomes delayed causing fps drop and lag. Other people tell me they dont experience such problems, while i still have a good connection. I tested this by pinging the server of the game as well as tracking my connection to another non game server. The lag/fps drop doesn't last long enough for me to get a tracert, i get about half way through a tracert with no signs of lag on the line before the lag/fps drop goes away in game.

While this is occurring i the fps drops to about 4 and a ping of 200~, i first thought this to be a game feature when you lag so you can't abuse connection delay. This might still be the case but people told me they haven't noticed such a thing.     

I hope this is enough information.

#2 2014-05-17 14:21:36

RaZgRiZ

Re: Lag/FPS issue

I am unsure what the correlation between the fps drops and your lagging is here. If the drop is so minor it shouldn't affect the connection at all. Do you perhaps have any other applications running that could be abusing the network? For example torrents can take away a good chunk of your bandwidth just by seeding.

#3 2014-05-17 14:44:53

NoHero

I am very diligent on monitoring my connection, i dont have the best line so i have learnt to ensure i have best i can get by keeping anything that could cause issues to a minimum. Hell if i wanted a torrent or youtube video open it be impossible for me to play. If anyone think it would help i could to a wireshark capture.

I haven't looked into how the game is programmed, does the network and render run on the same thread?

#4 2014-05-17 15:03:48

RaZgRiZ

NoHero wrote:

I am very diligent on monitoring my connection, i dont have the best line so i have learnt to ensure i have best i can get by keeping anything that could cause issues to a minimum. Hell if i wanted a torrent or youtube video open it be impossible for me to play. If anyone think it would help i could to a wireshark capture.

I haven't looked into how the game is programmed, does the network and render run on the same thread?

I don't think they do. Unless you run at ~10 fps you shouldn't notice the game being slow network-wise.

#5 2014-05-17 15:39:03

eihrul
Administrator

Networking and FPS are unrelated. Bad network conditions can't in any way cause your FPS to drop. The low FPS is caused by something else. Maybe you have some background tasks going on in the OS like some installer programs like windows update.

#6 2014-05-17 21:43:18

NoHero

eihrul wrote:

Networking and FPS are unrelated. Bad network conditions can't in any way cause your FPS to drop. The low FPS is caused by something else. Maybe you have some background tasks going on in the OS like some installer programs like windows update.

Yeah that what i thought, reason i thought it might be a feature of the game. What i expected it to be is some sort of bottleneck, but when i look at my cpu and memory usage its around 20% cpu usage and 56% Memory usage. My hardware is pretty old, but that doesn't show too much tax on my resources. That is during the lagg/fps drop. There were no installers or auto updaters running, but what i will do tonight is make sure my system is up to date and see if it fixes anything.

#7 2014-05-18 14:23:21

NoHero

Well i updated everything last night, and ran a memory check on my RAM which came up clean. I even tried playing on ugly settings i mean real ugly settings to see if it would help, but nothing. I still get these lags about 1-2 per round of rCTF. Checked Temperatures and activity on my CPU's everything shows normal. Also tried allocating the game to different cores still same.

#8 2014-05-18 14:29:27

RaZgRiZ

NoHero wrote:

Well i updated everything last night, and ran a memory check on my RAM which came up clean. I even tried playing on ugly settings i mean real ugly settings to see if it would help, but nothing. I still get these lags about 1-2 per round of rCTF. Checked Temperatures and activity on my CPU's everything shows normal. Also tried allocating the game to different cores still same.

What about your disk however? Do you have those green ones that automatically turn off when not used? Also check your power plan settings to see if windows does that automatically after a set amount of minutes, and if so, turn it off and test again.

#9 2014-05-18 19:27:14

NoHero

Thanks for the help but still no luck fixing it, i also seem to get it while map making. If i were getting issues on other games i'd be happy to just say its my hardware, because it would seem like some sort of cpu bottleneck.

If i were to recompile the game with debugger info would that help? I kinda dont think so since the game itself doesn't stop but rather just slow down. Would there be any other things i could do to try and get more info on whats going on?

#10 2014-05-21 15:15:57

Mr.Floppy

Well, this is probably not going to help but, I used to have such occasional fps-drops/freezes on AssaultCube whenever a songfile started to play/was loaded. Maybe there is some FX streamed or recalculated in the background that causes a bottleneck on your system.

I too get short freezes on opening the mapmodel/texture menu or when changing textures. Though, I think it's all smoothing out once the media got loaded.

However, ping will always increase at low FPS rates, since your client is only sending as often as the game is refreshing, as far as I know. Therefore those ping peaks are a technically necessary result of FPS drops.

Hello everybody, by the way. :P

Last edited by Mr.Floppy (2014-05-21 15:17:06)

Board footer