#1 2015-10-04 17:22:01

asennov

o2:Battalion game project

My slowly crawling forward project :) produced some screenshots.

Have the first version of FBX2IQE converter written so was able to change the player model and her animations.

Player character

Root motion is my next target.

#2 2015-10-04 20:10:20

asennov

Re: o2:Battalion game project

Stress test passed (780GTX, everything on ultra). Still I think that some optimizations will be useful:

* simplified shadow mesh
* LODs

Engine stress test

#3 2015-10-04 22:49:18

chasester

I did some looking around for your game project but found nothing what exactly are your goals. I love what you done so far, MD5 is severly outdated its nice to see some one working on importing from other file formats. Is it part of your goals to redo the way animation is done in tesseract. Like animation trees etc ?

chasester

#4 2015-10-05 05:20:46

asennov

The goals regarding animation are:

* animation-driven motion of character's proxy AKA root motion
* blending multiple source animations to make final pose with support of additive and override blending types
* each individual animation source is state machine or physics-driven ragdoll
* IK to glue it to environment

I've prototyped this using UE4 so it's doable :)

Finally the goal is to have everything needed for modern third-person game mechanics. I doubt that there will be any fancy GUI for this like in UE4 or even full scripting interface - mostly just enough to configure transition times and blending factors, so it will be mostly visible for coders.

Regarding asset pipeline I want just straightforward way from DCC tools into the engine. Currently FBX is the most supported way of doing things, so the goal here is to have compiler tool that produces needed IQMs from FBX. I've tried eihrul's IQM compiler but it works only with one FBX dialect and it's difficult to convert everything into it and always there is something lost during the chain of conversions. I've tried to fix this but accuracy is still not 100% especially for animations. So I've grabbed fbx-conv from libGDX and added IQE writer to it. Currently it does almost everything I need and when featureset will be complete I'll add IQM converter directly into the tool. Finally this will allow me to batch-convert assets using Makefiles.

I have a site for project o2project.org and I'll try to update it regularily (thou not as frequently as I would like to :) ).

#5 2015-10-05 07:05:30

ImNotQ009

Now this looks quite cool. I'll keep an eye on this, might be something rather interesting :)

Last edited by ImNotQ009 (2015-10-05 07:05:43)

#6 2015-10-05 15:19:58

chasester

very interesting project:

Are you looking to produce the final game to Tesseract?

I am currently working on Physics (which is done) and then a controller system to control the entities (everything from the player, to a box, to lights). These nodes will be scriptable using angel script. I also plan on rewriting parts of the gui system to allow for more of a window base system (draggable dockable frames).

I think once we get along farther in our projects we could merge our programs allowing for a more robust set of tools, and possibly a easy to use gui system.

What you are doing is very good step in the direction of making tesseract a competing engine. I think with a little help and some more features, and some more community contribution we can create something that is marketable, and maybe even comparable to UE5.

chasester

Last edited by chasester (2015-10-05 15:25:48)

#7 2015-10-05 17:14:23

asennov

Yes, I'm trying to make the game in the first place.
* to make something different to common open-source FPS
* for fun
* to beat Hideo Kojima... for fun :)

Engine development is interesting thing too but it never ends :) so only parts that will be needed for gameplay will be added.

For the game the global goals are:
* epic :) intro CG movie (~5-8 minutes)
* base game mechanics for player and NPCs, more or less described on the site
* training level for player to learn game mechanics
* first 'story' level

Then I hope somebody will be interested enough in the project to make some maps :) while I'll continue to push the story farther.

I also thought about AngelScript (for map scripting only) but not yet decided on it. Bullet integration is planned too but I want to try another approach: to use a collection of convex solids made directly from octree nodes instead of triangle mesh as level representation (a step to bullet3 which can run on GPU but has very limited set of collision primitives, also a step to NVidia Flex maybe).

About UI - did You see TurboBadger?

I'll try to make early releases, first being with basic walk-run-sprint-crouch locomotion system and then by adding significant subsystems. Code will become available when it will be a little less hairy :)

#8 2015-10-07 05:32:51

chasester

@bullet3
There are better ways to implement it, if done correctly you should be able to blow out oct mesh at run-time, (by doing oct optimization over multiple frames). But What I have implemented works (thanks mostly to angelo).

@entities
I would highly recommend using the asEntities that I release in my next build in the game. This will allow for massive expansible, allowing for almost any type of node you may need (especially for ai calls).

@animations
Im glad your working on that cause i get lost by that stuff. Looks awesome so far, as soon as you get some working code that is semi neat i would like to see it, so I can figure out the best way to implement into angel script.

@TurboBadger
No i have not even looked yet, I have a lot of other things ahead of gui. Gui isnt broke, it just could be much better. Something like turbo badger would be perfect cuz i would just link it into angelscript, and GLSL and it would be done. Thanx for the suggestion.

Love to see videos or pics of your project I am very excited

chasester

#9 2015-10-07 17:24:37

Hypernova^

Great to see people doing independent work on this engine :)

#10 2015-10-07 21:20:34

ThaOneDon

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Board footer