#1 2015-01-12 18:18:32

spikeymikey0196

Remaking old maps?

I miss the good old sauerbraten maps, some were so visually stunning that it really makes you appreciate the time and effort people put into the game.. so i was wondering, would anyone be interested in remaking some old maps? like the map Thor for instance?

Thor map

Look how visually stunning that map is.. we need more maps like this :3

#2 2015-01-15 09:22:22

gear

Re: Remaking old maps?

The tesseract playermodel wouldnt look like hes in the right setting in thor :p but im pretty sure you can load sauerbraten maps into tesseract (pretty sure there is an option) but the textures may be messed up if it reads from tesseract folder... Try it out and let us know :)

#3 2015-01-15 09:32:10

RaZgRiZ

gear wrote:

The tesseract playermodel wouldnt look like hes in the right setting in thor :p but im pretty sure you can load sauerbraten maps into tesseract (pretty sure there is an option) but the textures may be messed up if it reads from tesseract folder... Try it out and let us know :)

Will have to save the maps in Sauer's SVN first, then load it in Tessesract. You'll also have to redo the config(s) to point to the new locations for textures and such, but if the map doesn't use one you'll have to retexture the whole map yourself. Have fun with that :P

#4 2015-01-15 15:20:23

spikeymikey0196

RaZgRiZ wrote:
gear wrote:

Will have to save the maps in Sauer's SVN first, then load it in Tessesract. You'll also have to redo the config(s) to point to the new locations for textures and such, but if the map doesn't use one you'll have to retexture the whole map yourself. Have fun with that :P

And how would i go about doing that? :3

#5 2015-01-15 18:57:54

RaZgRiZ

spikeymikey0196 wrote:
RaZgRiZ wrote:
gear wrote:

I think everything I said is quite self explanatory so you'll have to elaborate so as to what exactly you find confusing about the saving and import procedure, the moving of files to the new folders and linking them correctly and the process of retexturing the whole map manually if there's no config to it.

#6 2015-01-15 23:38:04

kurtk8484

why would you want to do this? If you like sauer maps, play sauer.

#7 2015-01-20 16:13:24

spikeymikey0196

RaZgRiZ wrote:
spikeymikey0196 wrote:
RaZgRiZ wrote:

I think everything I said is quite self explanatory so you'll have to elaborate so as to what exactly you find confusing about the saving and import procedure, the moving of files to the new folders and linking them correctly and the process of retexturing the whole map manually if there's no config to it.

i just found it confusing how some maps dont work, but others do, thats all.. But i've managed to get a few maps to work.. I will get around to retexturing the ones that work, its just a shame how some dont work.. I just wish there was a way to fix the issue with compatability.

kurtk8484 wrote:

The reason i'd want to do this is because there were tonnes of great maps on sauerbraten and being able to bridge them over to tesseract will completely revive those great maps but with better rendering techniques and better lighting :) i understand why people would think its unnecessary effort, but there was a page where tesseract was announced, alot of people asked if sauer maps were compatible for i.
So im doing it for them :)

#8 2015-01-20 19:57:23

RaZgRiZ

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

i just found it confusing how some maps dont work, but others do, thats all.. But i've managed to get a few maps to work.. I will get around to retexturing the ones that work, its just a shame how some dont work.. I just wish there was a way to fix the issue with compatability.

kurtk8484 wrote:

The reason i'd want to do this is because there were tonnes of great maps on sauerbraten and being able to bridge them over to tesseract will completely revive those great maps but with better rendering techniques and better lighting :) i understand why people would think its unnecessary effort, but there was a page where tesseract was announced, alot of people asked if sauer maps were compatible for i.

As noble as your notion is, you should be warned that they will most likely NOT be a part of tesseract, due to being outdated or license incompatibility. That, and their layouts might prove to be useless considering the new movement speed.

#9 2015-01-21 13:40:10

spikeymikey0196

RaZgRiZ wrote:
spikeymikey0196 wrote:

kurtk8484 wrote:

As noble as your notion is, you should be warned that they will most likely NOT be a part of tesseract, due to being outdated or license incompatibility. That, and their layouts might prove to be useless considering the new movement speed.

i'm aware they wont be part of tess, but its always nice to have that option there :3 it'll be down as a seperate download link, as an optional extra for anyone who wants the maps :3 and new movement speed? o.o

#10 2015-01-21 13:45:06

RaZgRiZ

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

i'm aware they wont be part of tess, but its always nice to have that option there :3 it'll be down as a seperate download link, as an optional extra for anyone who wants the maps :3 and new movement speed? o.o

You mean you're not even aware of the fact that players in tesseract move at a consistent speed which is both slower than in sauer but also they gain no momentum from jumping?

#11 2015-01-21 14:03:12

spikeymikey0196

RaZgRiZ wrote:
spikeymikey0196 wrote:

You mean you're not even aware of the fact that players in tesseract move at a consistent speed which is both slower than in sauer but also they gain no momentum from jumping?

Oh, no i was aware of that XD i thought you meant that there was going to be an increase in speed in the next update xD i panicked xD

#12 2015-01-21 14:34:29

Pritchard

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

As I understand it, from my brief experience converting some of the oldest maps for sauer, maps saved with older releases of the game don't like loading in Tess. Try opening the map in sauer and resaving it, with a new name of course. I can't test this right now so i'm not sure if it'll work.

#13 2015-01-21 15:19:52

spikeymikey0196

Pritchard wrote:
spikeymikey0196 wrote:

As I understand it, from my brief experience converting some of the oldest maps for sauer, maps saved with older releases of the game don't like loading in Tess. Try opening the map in sauer and resaving it, with a new name of course. I can't test this right now so i'm not sure if it'll work.

I'll give that a go :3 thanks for the input ^_^

#14 2015-01-21 15:36:04

SniperGoth

You could use prefabs to bring maps from one game to another ( EX: i brought Darkness from Red Eclipse with prefabs ) .

#15 2015-01-21 16:01:40

spikeymikey0196

SniperGoth wrote:

You could use prefabs to bring maps from one game to another ( EX: i brought Darkness from Red Eclipse with prefabs ) .

i used Pritchards idea and that worked :3 but the only trouble is, having to retexture it all xD but meh, its not too hard :3 and i will give that a go, if the other methods fail :)

#16 2015-02-26 20:32:51

spikeymikey0196

This is a quick update that i'm starting to work on a little map that should interest quite a few people :3 If you're aware of where this Maze is from, you are awesome! :3
65-73563-maze_020-1424965745.jpg

#17 2015-03-12 13:39:36

unixfreak

spikeymikey0196 wrote:

This is a quick update that i'm starting to work on a little map that should interest quite a few people :3 If you're aware of where this Maze is from, you are awesome! :3

The loser has to keep America clean!

#18 2015-03-12 14:34:58

spikeymikey0196

unixfreak wrote:

The loser has to keep America clean!

You sir, are awesome :3

Board footer