#1 2014-09-29 00:29:06

BakedToast

Open class game modes

One thing I find a bit annoying (it's not really a big thing) in tesseract is that the game forces all players to play with the same weapon class unless they are editing the map. There's RDM, PDM, RTDM, PTDM, RCTF, and PCTF, which is ok, but it disallows players to play with personal preference if they wish.

I suggest a new class, the open class (ODM, OTDM, and OCTF) to be added to the game.

I know, I probably sound lazy suggesting this because I don't know how to code myself, but basically the idea is that you can use what weapon you want to when playing those game modes.

Basically, the todo list for a mod like this (simplified, I'm sure) is as follows:

1. Add map browser options for ODM, OTDM, and OCTF.

2. One of the following, A, B or C:
       A. Code in a loading screen menu that let's you choose one of the weapons before hand as your weapon throughout the game,
       B. Code a new selection in player setup menu where you can select beforehand your preferred weapon,
       C. Code allowance for players to swap weapons via scrolling mid game just like in edit mode.

You modders are likely busy on your own projects, but if you aren't, or if you're looking for a new idea, here's one that isn't half bad ;)

#2 2014-09-29 02:44:39

ThaOneDon

Re: Open class game modes

Theres only 2 weapons so no point in making classes for em.

#3 2014-09-29 04:19:02

BakedToast

ThaOneDon wrote:

Theres only 2 weapons so no point in making classes for em.

I didn't mean classes so much as allowing players to play with each other using both weapon types instead of being forced to all use the same weapon. No classes, just that players can choose which of the two weapons to use.

#4 2014-09-29 06:22:30

ThaOneDon

Oh

Id say just a selection screen at the start would be enough or maybe randomize which weapon player gets. decisions, decisions

#5 2014-09-29 14:25:20

SniperGoth

That makes it unbalanced, as the railgun is a hitscan weapon. You shoot, you hit.

#6 2014-09-29 16:04:55

BakedToast

True, but people have preferences too. The pulse rifle may have slower projectile speed but it has a larger bullet size, splash damage, and higher fire rate. My brother likes the pulse rifle better.

#7 2014-09-29 16:08:03

ImNotQ009

BakedToast wrote:

True, but people have preferences too. The pulse rifle may have slower projectile speed but it has a larger bullet size, splash damage, and higher fire rate. My brother likes the pulse rifle better.

Projectile size doesn't actually matter.

#8 2014-09-29 16:16:47

BakedToast

Projectile size makes it easier to hit players; you're less likely to miss.

Last edited by BakedToast (2014-09-29 16:17:07)

#9 2014-09-29 17:18:46

Drag(ing)on

Even if it were unbalanced people would have a choice so it wouldn't matter... they wouldnt have to play with a pulse rifle/railgun, but if they do want 'perfect balance' then they could pick a mode that only uses one gun

I think imbalance, if used right keeps a game interesting if its not just a matter of stats such as one weapon being a better version of another. As long as it has something unique about it and that it doesn't make other weapons irrelevant

#10 2014-09-29 20:09:02

ImNotQ009

BakedToast wrote:

No. All projectiles don't have any "size" in the game logic. Everything is an infinitely small point

#11 2014-09-29 21:36:09

BakedToast

ImNotQ009 wrote:

No. All projectiles don't have any "size" in the game logic. Everything is an infinitely small point

If that's the case, why are you able to suicide by shooting the ground with the pulse rifle but not with the rail gun? Also, why can you get double kills with the pulse rifle but not the rail gun?

#12 2014-09-29 21:50:53

ImNotQ009

BakedToast wrote:
ImNotQ009 wrote:

If that's the case, why are you able to suicide by shooting the ground with the pulse rifle but not with the rail gun? Also, why can you get double kills with the pulse rifle but not the rail gun?

Splash damage.

#13 2014-09-30 00:35:11

chasester1

ImNotQ009 wrote:
BakedToast wrote:

Technically its a vector not a point (two very different concepts). Basically there is a hit test that determines if the player is within the same plane as the projectile (a projection, it more or less is a very cheap call that can determine if a vector given a particular velocity (aka an ray) can hit a define space [in this case a bounding box[es])  Then it does a vector to vector hit detection, on players and marching cubes, models etc.

Only time that a projectile will kill two people is if it hits one of them (or a nearby surface,object etc), this is due to splash damage (as stated above). Project tiles are rays (points and velocities) represented by projectile->pos and projectile->vel. THEY DO NOT HAVE BOUNDING BOXES. This would make them way more expensive, and really be pointless :)

chasester

Board footer