#1 2014-09-27 20:35:35

BakedToast

(Suggestion) More Forum Categories

I'm not sure what's really going on with the admin side of tesseract, who's running the project, manning the website, coding into the game, but I have a suggestion here for the forums.

Adding more categories to post in is my suggestion.
Here are the categories I suggest:

Suggestions Category
Some, perhaps a lot of us (myself not included), are brilliant programmers and skilled with modding. But others, like me, are more into mapping and just enjoy playing the game without extra hassle.
I know the admin/tesseract dev is probably very busy, but I'm sure player feedback is useful to him. This can be a place where non-modders can go to suggest reasonable additions to vanilla gameplay, or where modders can go to get mod ideas and possibly make mods to satisfy the players if the original dev doesn't support it.

Tutorials Category
Tesseract is a very intuitive game when it comes to gameplay itself. But mapping, modding, and special playing techniques, are not so intuitive. Things like mapping guides, basic instructions on modding (I know modding is mostly a creative system with little to no guidelines, but whatever), importing textures/models into the game, don't need to be under the section that's meant for posting your own already made maps/mods. By separating the groups everything will be more organized, and people who like to help others won't have to scan through a set of posted content to find questions that people are asking.

I had other categories on my mind but I forgot them as I was writing, oh well. My basic point is that it will organize the forums more and when there's an option to post in a certain category, it becomes a suggestion to the user to post there. Of course, I have no clue on web design or how hard it would be to add new categories, but that's my suggestion.
What do you think?

#2 2014-09-28 20:02:42

Calinou

Re: (Suggestion) More Forum Categories

A pure Suggestions forum (where ideas are randomly stacked, which doesn't help anyone) is completely worthless, but a feature discussion one would be acceptable.

I agree about having a Tutorials category, but I would rather see a wiki being set up.

#3 2014-09-28 20:55:52

BakedToast

Yeah, feature discussion sounds better to me as well.

But what would we put in a wiki? A game like tesseract is so simple that every vanilla feature is quickly discovered in under one hour. I suppose you could put in things like statistics (firing rates, bullet speeds of the different weapons), but once you start to put user based content in the wiki, like maps or mods,then it pretty much replaces the forums functionality.

[EDIT]

I just went over and looked at cube 2: sauerbraten' wiki, and it seems to be not much more than a collection of tutorials. Is that what you meant by wiki?

Last edited by BakedToast (2014-09-28 21:00:21)

#4 2014-09-28 23:12:42

SniperGoth

A gallery type of category would be pretty cool, to show off what you did best/show textures you made etc.

#5 2014-10-07 19:07:13

BakedToast

Perhaps the current mapping and modding section could be split in two, where two would be actual mods/maps, and the other two would be questions and discussions about modding and mapping.

Board footer