#1 2014-09-17 09:22:49

spikeymikey0196

Bullet Physics??

I was playing Gta 4 the other day and i thought the physics were pretty good :3 so i decided to do a little research and found that the physics RAGE uses is actually free :3 so i was wondering, since it's free and to our disposal, is it possible to intergrate it into tesseract? or am i thinking above the clouds here?

Here's the physics site: http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/

#2 2014-09-17 14:28:10

Hypernova^

Re: Bullet Physics??

What advantage would it give Tesseract to have a physics engine? In answer to your question though it is definately possible :)

#3 2014-09-17 14:42:31

spikeymikey0196

Hypernova^ wrote:

What advantage would it give Tesseract to have a physics engine? In answer to your question though it is definately possible :)

well, we could potentially have particles that react with environments (like sparks bouncing), we could also have better physics in itself :3 it will allows to intergrate other things such as wind etc :3

#4 2014-09-18 15:47:42

Hypernova^

Sauerbraten had phyics entities called bouncers, which were used for debris, grenades, etc. I recommend taking the code from there. Wind is interesting though, I haven't seen that in many games.

#5 2014-09-20 19:19:07

spikeymikey0196

I replied to this but the site went down :/ but yeah, if we have the ability have wind, it could have dramatic effects on the player aswell as the ability to have grass anf other foliage move properly :3 just yeah, it would bring more of a sense of realism to the games :3 (im planning on modding the crap out of tesseract anyway. adding things like better physics, better ragdolls, more advanced lighting and horizon based ambient occlusion.. Among a few things. )

#6 2014-09-20 23:10:51

Hypernova^

Interesting. I'm planning on modding the gameplay :)

#7 2014-09-21 07:24:19

spikeymikey0196

Well, im currently working with AlmightyByron in terms of enhancing the engine :3 and how do you wish to change the gameplay, if you dont mind me asking? :3

#8 2014-09-21 13:05:00

Hypernova^

I'm thinking of modding the gameplay to be a combination of Nexuiz 2012 and Half Life 2: Deathmatch. Something where skill is required to move quickly, physics plays an important part in the game, and certain difficult techniques are needed to master it. I'm currently quite busy with studying, so it'll probably be a while before I can do anything, but I hope to get around to it sometime. Part of the reason is because there are no games around that I really like, except HL2: DM and a fork of Sauerbraten I made called Sauerbraten Pro Mode.

For a taste of Half Life 2: Deathmatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2w7KeM6Se4

And Nexuiz 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6sDdjt51o

Last edited by Hypernova^ (2014-09-21 13:08:59)

#9 2014-09-22 16:15:11

spikeymikey0196

I reckon that'd catch on really nicely :3 i will admit that quite alot of games become boring after a while, so taking elements (such as custom map downloads from hl2) makes it refreshing and new each time :3 cant wait to see what you come up with :)

#10 2014-09-22 20:45:53

chasester1

@bullet physics
It would be nice to have some form of physics to allow for more enhanced experience in both multiplayer, single player and coop.

@hypernova
the bouncer code is not real physics its a very very very simplified calculation that only considers the linear velocity of an object, (moving on the xyz plane), and fakes the rotational velocity (the spinning on the xyz plane). So basically object only move tho space and bounce they do not rotate or spin based on object they hit.

Further more object do not correctly interact with each other. Meaning if one object is running at another object they do not bounce off correctly rather they both stop instantly, till eventually the speed of the two objects out weights the bounding box calculation on the two objects and they slide between each other.. So in order to have any kind of dynamic, or physics objects in cube (sauer or tesseract) would require a major overhaul on the physics calculations and detection :)

chasester

#11 2014-09-23 01:52:00

Hypernova^

Yes, I understood this. But I mentioned Sauer's bouncers because spikeymikey mentioned sparks bouncing, which would be a perfect case to use such simple physics code.

BTW chasester, I'm wondering if I can have the killfeed code from SauerX?

#12 2014-09-23 03:43:13

chasester1

ya umm have to find it -.- burried in my endless arrays of projects, really not that hard to write :) but ill give you, when/if i can find it :)

#13 2014-09-23 03:50:16

chasester1

btw, i have been playing with sauer, but more specifically tesseracts physics, and it is  very possible and not very hard to get physics updated to include angular velocity (spinning objects, full 3d rotation). The new bounding box code allows for the correct collision to occur when two object collide just the original physics basically treat all objects as immovable objects, so objects cant effect other objects velocity. So by simply adding in angular velocity (which when talking about rigid bodies this can be calculated separately and does not affect your linear velocity) you could have full physics. Of course you would have to add in gui and make ent updates to support these changes. So adding real physics to sauer wouldnt be that hard, most of the code is there, just poorly (or at least outdated) written ;)

chasester

#14 2014-09-23 10:46:54

Hypernova^

Yea the new bounding box code was a huge step toward full physics support. I know the killfeed code isn't hard to write, but I'm short on time/haven't done C++ for a while and there's someone who really wants this feature in Sauerbraten Pro Mode. :)

Thanks,
Hypernova^

#15 2014-09-23 16:25:30

spikeymikey0196

Well, im looking to try intergrate it anyway, but im not that great with opengl or c++ xD so it'd take a long time xDD but yeah, i reckon its something the engine really needs :3

Board footer